Home U.S. Coin Forum

2003 Silver Eagle in Legacies of Freedom Set ???

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
These sets called "Legacies of Freedom" whereby the US Mint coupled a British Silver Coin (2004) with our American Silver Eagle Coin (2003) has me wondering.

Since these sets were selling at the U.S. Mint for fifty dollars they obviously were not too terribly popular as it took quite some time to run out the inventory even though there was a maximum mintage of only "up to" 50,000.
My question for all of you savvy collectors, dealers and numismatists is this : Is there a "second" or "first" strike Eagle in 2003 ?
I do not have a regular issue 2003 to compare it to and I am just curious. Any help would be appreciated. Did the mint take these from the regular bullion strike inventory that goes out to dealers, or did they have to run the presses again with different dies ? Okay, I am too lazy to search for answers elsewhere, but I know some of you will know this answer. I sure would love it if it is NOT the same strike as the regular issue image I bought a couple of them and began wondering since these sets were out so late in the game. They didn't sell out till this past summer .... 2005 ? What gives ?

Joe

Comments

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They didn't sell out till this past summer .... 2005 ? What gives ?

What gives is $50 for two 7 dollar bullion coins. It's amazing they ever sold out.

BTW, I don't know the answer to your question about 1st and 2nd strike on the SAE.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks LanLord..... I agree with you on that price being cost prohibitive.... I thought it was price gouging, but then again, it was that "high" price that got me thinking there might be some little known fact that the public wasn't made aware of.
    (who would have guessed there would only be 30,125 1995 W Eagles minted ?) Plus, I am sure there were plenty of people who bought that anniversary set and took a big GULP paying that "high" price image.... but many of them have re-couped the cost as much as five times over with what that SAE has done , thus far.

How many parents just had to go buy a box of Cheerios in 2000 because their kid wanted to win that NEW Sacagawea and get a new penny, too ? Who would have thought the mint would "re-design" the die ?

Just food for thought !
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the SAE's of 2003 and the 2003 in the "Legacies of Freedom" set the same ?
    What were the final sales numbers ?
    Was this just to support our war effort or is there something special about those coins ?

Yes, I dug up an old thread. I still have questions.
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Special packaging + cost of carrying inventory + cost of doing business = $50 cost of product

Remember the "Formation of the Union " State Quarter Sets? Was there anything special about those?
  • ColquhounColquhoun Posts: 545
    Interesting thing about the Legacies of Freedom is the fact that half the issue of Brittanias went into the sets, plus its pretty ballsy for the US Mint to stand toe to toe with probally the greatest of modern designs. It sure shows what US coinage is lacking in this day of cookie cutter chucky chesse wannabe tokens.

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey Posts: 3,311
    hummm... never thought about this... now i am nervous! I actually have one for sale on ebay right now... only up to $30... man if this things turns into something down the road i will be choking myself! image I never thought about it being different.... what would be a defining characteristic? die marks? anything to look for?

/ed

• I just sold a set of these for pretty much silver spot.
    Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • I never knew why people bought these either, the mark up on the packaging was too much to bear. Plus back in 2003 silver was lower so factor that in. You can now get them just over spot on ebay too

Dr J
  • JapanJohnJapanJohn Posts: 2,030
    I've never even heard of these until now. I'll pick up a set just to round out my collection. I would imagine that it is the exact same coin as a regular 2003, however, one never knows.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file