Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Whats a good numismatica coin book?

I'm really serious about learning about coins. I want to learn about VAMs and foreign gold and all gold currency. thanks

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    C'mon Scott, let's not poke a sleeping groat. BTW did'ya get a good price for the Vicky gothic? Hope you did, but I didn't look.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, man. I didn't know.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    You must get Friedberg's "World Gold Coins"; it's a must in your line of interest.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>I'm really serious about learning about coins. I want to learn about VAMs and foreign gold and all gold currency. thanks >>

Not trying to sound mean, but given your limited budget, I don't see it really possible to collect both VAMs and gold. I would recommend picking either one or the other, and stay focused. I do think you are taking a step in the right direction by looking for reference material to educate yourself. Once you learn the basics, and can share your knowledge with others, it will be much easier for others to share their advanced knowledge with you.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    If you want a numis. book on just gold, here is one.

Link

The first book on the page.

And here is their official homepage: Official publisher Link
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should get the Krause Standard catalogs first, if you do not already have them. Then you will have info on not only gold coins, but the other world coins as well.

The book in the link given above is the Friedberg catalog, which is a well-known reference on gold coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Read this thread from beginning to end.

imageimageimage >>

That's just cruel... image
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    What LordM said. Gold ain't all that! There are some beautiful coins in the world that are NOT gold.
  • Options
    Krause also has a Standard Catalog of World Gold Coins if you're serious about sticking to one metal.