Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Braves win 14 straight divisional titles! Wow!

In this "day and age", just soooooooooooooo hard to believe in major sports, a team could achieve 14 straight divisional titles.

Congrats Atlanta!

rbd

P.S. Think Chipper is a HOF lock or what?

Edit: So much for Marlins. Fish eliminated officially! Well maybe next year? If we even have a Marlins team here in South Florida next year?

Comments

• Options
    Pretty amazing huh !! Played the most rookies this year and still won the division.

I don't think Chipper is a lock for the hall of fame. Needs to have some productive injury free years to have a shot. Still a dangerous hitter when healthy though.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Really it is 11 straight which is still rediculous. I just can't justify bridging the titles before the '94 season when the Expos would have won the division.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't think Chipper is a lock for the hall of fame. Needs to have some productive injury free years to have a shot. Still a dangerous hitter when healthy though. >>

Chipper not a HOF lock? 10 Full seasons (11 seasons but in 1993 he only had just 3 at bats!)

1139 RBIs! - 8 out 10 seasons hit over 100 RBIs (other two seasons: 86 RBIs rookie year and 96 RBIs in 2004 injured!)
    310 Homers
    lifetime career batting average over .300!
    batted .292 in 316 at bats in post season play!

IMO: I think Chipper will be HOFER lock by the time his career ends!

edit: Multi-year All-Star and gold glove winner!

rbd

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a Braves fan since 1990.

I don't get into protracted discussions about who will and who won't...

But with Chipper, which BTW will not be an appropriate name for a 65 yr. old man LOL....he will be in the HOF.

And, if he doesn't make it in and we are all still here chatting....I will personally "lick" the door handle to the outgoing door knob of the men's room at Yankee Stadium!!!

Mike
  • Options
    That is a major accomplishment. It rivals any Yankee dominance. Atlanta has a great organization and does not get the credit for it.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    chipper is by far one of the best down the stretch hitters in the game....

unfortunately, his bat goes silent...along with the rest of atlanta's lineup...once the post-season starts.
  • Options

<< <i>chipper is by far one of the best down the stretch hitters in the game....

unfortunately, his bat goes silent...along with the rest of atlanta's lineup...once the post-season starts. >>

MD
    The one that totally amazed me and I thought I had seen it all was in 1996, when they took two at Yankee Stadium to open the WS - A. Jones hit two HRs. I thought it was a runaway!

Just goes to show...what the hell do I know?

Mike
  • Options
    He'll never make it. Is he gay?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    chipper was playin ball for the high school across town when i was in junior high.. when his cards started coming out, people around here were snatching 'em up..

edit - i say put him in the hall..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Atlanta not getting the recognition they deseve just proves what a ridiculous NY based bias sportswriters have.

They will bash how the Braves have won 'only' one world series, but they don't count the number of times they were picked last in their division. I remember last year, or the year before, but they were picked to finish dead last by everyone.

This run by the braves is amazing...their consistency is unreal.

• Options

<< <i>The one that totally amazed me and I thought I had seen it all was in 1996, when they took two at Yankee Stadium to open the WS - A. Jones hit two HRs. I thought it was a runaway!

Just goes to show...what the hell do I know?

image >>

Oh, oh, Stone. Sounds like you're getting psyched up to lick that Yankee Stadium toilet-door handle already!! Yewwww!

hh

p.s. It's my b-day (9/28) and I'm taking the day off from work. Thus the late-night posts...
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a major accomplishment. It rivals any Yankee dominance. Atlanta has a great organization and does not get the credit for it. >>

twist what the Braves have done any way you want. The Yankees have won four World Series to the Braves one in this time frame. I would choose the Yankees run over the Braves every time!

Dan

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That is a major accomplishment. It rivals any Yankee dominance. Atlanta has a great organization and does not get the credit for it. >>

twist what the Braves have done any way you want. The Yankees have won four World Series to the Braves one in this time frame. I would choose the Yankees run over the Braves every time!

Dan >>

Dan
    That would be your choice...as I said - I don't get into that kind of debate.

I am a "fan" - my loyalty is based on enjoyment - whether they win 1 or 5 WS's - after they close the gates down for the winter, it's all forgotten. I've enjoyed watching them play and I have a great appreciation for the leadership in the dugout. I've learned over the years to "curb my enthusiasm" and enjoy myself so much more - that OCD stuff only made me crazy if you know what I mean. And, I've been a Raider fan since 1970!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone,

You are dead money on the leadership in the dug-out comment. Bobby Cox is one hell of a class act! He really deserves a ton of credit. I have been a HUGE Braves fan since 1982. Dale Murphy is my favorite and Andruw took his place when he busted in on the scene in the 96 series. Chipper is great too, I don't care about HOF if I really like the player. I would tend to make the point to everyone that the Jankees have purchased 6 WS trophies. Their legacy was purchased when they acquired Ruth. Cox, the Jones boys, and the Baby Braves stole their 14th consective this year. You have to give props! Suffering through how bad the Braves were from '84 to '90 makes this 14 year run great and I wouldn't trade it for any crappy 6 Jankee WS trophies. I think the Jankees suck. However I have great respect for Jeter, Williams, O'neil, Riveria, Clemens, Posada, and Torre. Maybe a couple I am forgetting. I know go ahead and blast me. Funny though as much as I have just bashed them I really appreciate the richness of tradition the Yankees provide for baseball. Isn't baseball a funny and spectacular sport?! For reasons like this I really think no other sport will really upstage as our National Pastime. It is in our blood.

Damian
  • Options
    student - fair comments. Funny about the game....I remember when Bobby Cox played third base for the Yankees image

• Options
    Dirty Harry,

I have a beat up '69 Topps Cox that concurs your memory. Wish I could have seen him play. Great $3 card for me. I love it! Baseball is like life to me.

D
  • Options

<< <i>
    Dan
    That would be your choice...as I said - I don't get into that kind of debate.

I am a "fan" - my loyalty is based on enjoyment - whether they win 1 or 5 WS's - after they close the gates down for the winter, it's all forgotten. I've enjoyed watching them play and I have a great appreciation for the leadership in the dugout. I've learned over the years to "curb my enthusiasm" and enjoy myself so much more - that OCD stuff only made me crazy if you know what I mean. And, I've been a Raider fan since 1970!

mike >>

Mike, I only wish I could subdue my emotions when it comes to baseball. No chance, I grew up in the mid to late 70's in a rabid Yankee household. I cut school many times in high school to attend "business" man specials, I have waited on line overnight for playoff tickets, I have tossed a Reggie Bar .... No cure for me. Watching the Yankees come back to prominance in the mid 90's was very special. I doubt I will EVER see another NY Yankee as great as Mariano Rivera. He will be neck and neck with ANY Yankee in historys eyes in the future. I am incurable image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    That trophey on the 69 Topps is about as good as it got for Cox as a player. What a great infield of Cox, Jerry Kenney, Horace Clarke and Joe Pepitone. You think Yankee fans havent had lean years? I cant think of a worse team (won loss record aside) ever fielded in baseball. Billy Cowan, Frank Tepedino, Jim Lyttle, Dick Simpson, Tom Shopay. Any of those "power hitters" ring a bell?

Edit to add: The most noted trade for the Yanks was Mike Kekich and Fritz Peterson trading wives during the season
  • Options
    baseballman - I love it. The Yanks had some really, really bad teams.
    BTY, the Kekich and Peterson deal included their kids and dogs!

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

Yet another yankee 'fan' who bases his preference of teams on how successful and how many world series teams they've won.

Are they all like this? Does every yankee fan point to the world series trophies first, in trying to say why they are a 'fan' of the yankees?
  • Options
    HAH??? You are going over the deep edge....O'Axtell. I can make no sense of this.

You need to take a break. Go do some gardening, hack down a tree or mold a clay pot. Come back in a week.

• Options

<< <i>Yet another yankee 'fan' who bases his preference of teams on how successful and how many world series teams they've won.

Are they all like this? Does every yankee fan point to the world series trophies first, in trying to say why they are a 'fan' of the yankees? >>

Ax, I know it sounds crazy and probably is, BUT when a team has as such a high degree of success as the Yankees have had it is not unreasonable for a fan to measure success with championships. Thats just the way it is. Yankee fans do not measure success with .500 seasons, a division championship here and there, or a great pennant race that fell short. As much as you find this hard to believe, most Yankee fans would find it hard to believe that a fan could be happy with a second place finish that went to the last week of the season. Success breeds expectation and that is normal.

Now, pointing to trophies as a reason why me or any other Yankee fan would give as to WHY we are Yankee fans? I don't know where you are coming from on that one. For me, I was born into it .... enough said there.

Dan

• Options
    This could be debated into the next century and either you are a pin striper or not.

I was a Yank fan in the 70s while going to school in NYC - nothing about the rings - strictly convenience - they were there and so was I.

Bleacher seats - 1.50 - couldn't get any better - and they stunk!!! Until, they got this loud mouthed character from the leftcoast - then things started to get interesting.

Nothing to do with rings - the infield of Nettles, Dent, Randolph and Chambliss was something to see.

The outfield was good - and for entertainment? Reggie Jackson put excitement in the routine play!
    The guy was average at best- he was prone to misjudging fly balls that made him have to make ridiculous adjustments just to make the play! - but he had an arm - I was watching a game and he was in relative deep right field and threw a laser to third - and Nettles nailed the guy!!! Reggie was prone to over throwing and missing his cut-off man at times.

It's fun when your team wins, it's fun when they take the WS. But, it's fun just watching - ya never know what's gonna happen - and if you watch long enough - you will see things that will absolutely amaze you.

I played in HS - I'm totally in awe at what these guys can do. Baseball is a game for the ages!!!

mike
    Mike