Home Metal Detecting
Options

I am going to break down.....

and buy a Garret GTI2500. Anyone have any other suggestions for a top of the line detector? I am tired of finding the same crap with my Bounty Hunter. I think that I will probably find more things in the areas I usually hunt. What about the extra coils? Does anyone have any experiance with larger coils and are they really that useful in areas that you cannot really dig with a shovel (ie. parks, peoples yards,...) Thanks for the info. -Dan

Comments

• Options

Only set you back about $1,100 image
  • Options
    I wonder why White's would put out a photo with the coil wire wound the wrong way??? image

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder why White's would put out a photo with the coil wire wound the wrong way??? image

Jerry >>

Didn't know it mattered. But do tell.
  • Options
    How about a Minelab Explorer XS? It takes some learning, but it seems to be the best detector available, from what I've read.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder why White's would put out a photo with the coil wire wound the wrong way??? image Jerry >>

Didn't know it mattered. But do tell. >>

When the detector is put down on the ground, the coil will be flat on the ground--The wire will have a sharp bend
    at the connector on the coil.

In the White's manual: Wind first revolution of cord OVER top of loop isolator.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have a GTi 2500....I also have a 12" Scorcher coil and a small 5" coil for mine. The 9.5" coil that comes standard is a great coil and does a very good job. I use the 12" coil in areas that are known to have older coins and when I really want that extra depth. I use the 4" surface ignore with the large coil, it really helps on the surface trash, and none of the older coins I am searching for will be in the 4" range. The smaller coil is used in trashy areas, and works very well in parks and playgrounds. Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder why White's would put out a photo with the coil wire wound the wrong way??? image Jerry >>

Didn't know it mattered. But do tell. >>

When the detector is put down on the ground, the coil will be flat on the ground--The wire will have a sharp bend
    at the connector on the coil.

In the White's manual: <STRONG>Wind first revolution of cord OVER top of loop isolator</STRONG>.

Jerry >>

Thank you!
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I have found a lot of sites that are offering the GTI2500 for 879 including shipping. One site is throwing in an authentic 1865 Maximillian Mexican gold token. I am going to wait a week and see if I still want to spend the money so as not to make it a spontaneous buy(the wifeimage). Anyhow, I appreciate your input on all the other detectors, I will also still consider the White's, but the minelab is outa range. -Dan
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use the 4" surface ignore with the large coil >>

Oh boy, that sure sounds like a great feature!
    But I still assume that a good target could be hiding under the trash that's ignored this way?
    The other feature I'd love to have is the imaging feature to avoid digging all those big items - I have a hard time with the MXT with spotting the difference between a good target at some 4" and a bigger trash item a couple of inches deeper.

You guys make a great Garrett sales force, I'm tempted to get one myself one of these days - most people who really suck seem to be using one! (hrmph) image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    My money is going to go where the best 'tector is. I am looking to get more out of the experience. I have used lowend 'tectors for the last fifteen years and am tired of having to guess. I detect about twenty days out of the year, and I forget some things, whereas I do know what I am going to get about 75% of the time. Sometimes, I have problems with erattic behavior with these cheaper models. I think that alot of times the inconsistancy is with the detector and not the user. That is my story and I am sticking to it. image -Dan
  • Options
    Dan,

I just recently bought the 2500 and I'm enjoying learning as I go. I just started detecting last month (started with an Ace 250) and I love that detector. The 2500 is somewhat of a challenge to me right now (I've only been out with it for about 3 hours so far) but I love the fact that you get a readout of true size and depth. Of the items that I have dug, it has been accurate. I have read the manual, watched the video, and also went onto www.garrett.com and read some of the info there. I'm confident that I will grow to love this one just as much if not more than the 250.

I am curious about the surface ignore myself. I'm sure one of the Garrett Posse will come along and answer that soon.

<< <i>You guys make a great Garrett sales force, I'm tempted to get one myself one of these days - most people who really suck seem to be using one! (hrmph) >>

This is why I have ended up with a couple of Garrett's myself. image
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>But I still assume that a good target could be hiding under the trash that's ignored this way? >>

Yes....that is true, BUT.......I ONLY use that feature in an area that I suspect old and deep coins...And in other areas I have pounded pretty hard..(or LM has pounded pretty hard).....The surface ignore can be set to three different depths, but I must confess I only use the 4" surface elimination....

The 2500 has a lot of features....it can be a turn on and go, or it can really be customized to fit your search habits....PRACTICE is the only way to go. As as with all the top end units.
  • Options
    I am going to upgrade from my Ace 250 too, but probably not to next spring as winter is closing in here in Michigan.
    True, we got a month month and a half of detecting still, but when I get a new detector I want to go non stop for months with it.
    The 250 is one heckuva detector, and well worth every cent. In half a year of detecting, it has easily paid for itself in clad alone, and has left me with a nice keepers collection of various old coins, relics, trinkets and jewelry.
    It works great, within its limits, and I have now passed those limits.
    I'm leaning towards the Minelab Quattro right now - Its quite a bit more recent than Garrets mid/high range offerings,is almost identically priced as the 2500, and mineleabs deep seeking capabilities are fairly renowned. But the GTI2500 sounds like a very nice machine worthy of consideration.
    I'm keeping an open mind and will do some more researching till March 2006 arrives - I will then make my move and advance to the next level.
    Heres a link with quite a few field tests of various tectors http://www.losttreasure.com/fieldtests/
    JJ
  • Options
    get the DFX. It blows anyother detector away, yet it's affordable for a top of the line machiene, unlike fishers and minelabs. It works better than the more expensive models too as far as I've heard. I don't have one(I've got a Prizm III, but I'm getting a DFX when I get better at the hobby), but almost every member of my club does, and they love it.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options

<< <i>get the DFX. It blows anyother detector away, >>

Hmmmmmmmmm.........not sure of that statement.
  • Options
    << << get the DFX. It blows anyother detector away, >>

Hmmmmmmmmm.........not sure of that statement.>>

I am.

Happy Hunting!image
  • Options

<< <i>get the DFX. It blows anyother detector away, >>

No offense Lamborghini518, but you sound like a salesman pumping typical industry hype. Since you've never used one, that's a pretty bold statement that I've heard 100 times about 10 differant detectors.
    But you have a right to your opinion. image
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have only had mine for about 6 months, it is a Coin$trike and has pretty much paid for itself already. I am still learning about it and kinda ticked that it only comes with either of 2 coils.....but so far it's been the best that I have ever used.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options

<< <i><< << get the DFX. It blows anyother detector away, >>
    Hmmmmmmmmm.........not sure of that statement.>>

I am. >>

Heheheheh..No offense......you don't even own the one you are pimping here.....It's a fine machine. But I am speaking from experience, I own a 2500....I have been and found things behind those that have owned all sorts of machines, including the DFX machine. It all boils down to the USER when you get to the top of the line detectors. I would not hesitate to put my 2500 up against any detector....
  • Options

<< <i> It all boils down to the USER when you get to the top of the line detectors. >>

Well said Steve.imageimage
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> It all boils down to the USER when you get to the top of the line detectors. >>

Well said Steve.imageimage >>

As a DFX owner who is new to the hobby, I can honestly say that the DFX has a long learning curve (for me at least). The machine has a plethora of unique features, programmable settings and assorted minutae that only a very experienced and technically inclined detectorist would ever be able to take advantage of its full capability. I use the factory preset programs and I still learn new tricks each time I use it. In reading the book "Understanding White's DFX" by Jimmy Sierra, it is evident that there are literally thousands of combinations of user settings available for thos so inclined. Would I recommend it to someone else brand new to the hobby? Yes, but with the caveat, that if you are not a technology and gadget wiz who is into analyzing each and every setting from a technical and performance aspect, then it is way more detector than you will ever need.
  • Options
    << In reading the book "Understanding White's DFX" by Jimmy Sierra,>>

Try reading Digging Deeper with DFX. by Jeff Foster.
    Jeff came to my my MDing club on Febuary 05's meeting(I think it was Feb.) He gave a great overview of his book.(it took about an hour)He included a lot of graphs, charts, grids, and models. He talks a lot about the thecnical stuff that most of us wouldn't care about(for instance the electric current it uses), but he also talks in great depth about how to program it and how to get the best results using factory settings.

millennium, I know you have your opinion, but you should also get the book just so you can see how complex this machiene is. Sure I've never owned nor used one, but I've seen it in action. One member of my club who has one found 2 out of five golden coins on a club hunt and several tokens which were numbered and raffled off for prizes such as MDing supplies and 2 new Metal Detectors. The best I found with my Prizm III was a 1927 standing liberty quarter. I also seen it in action at the MD dealership I go to. The owner invited me and others to a huge demonstration of each White's series(e.g. E-series, Prizm-series) The DFX was so accurite with the target ID.

ormandh, go to the following sites to compare the two:

White's
    Garrett
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Lamborghini518.........You don't know too much about the GTi 2500...the DFX will not do anything the Garett 2500 won't do...It is a very, very complex machine...the machine is for the serious user...and I would not recommend it for a 1st time user...I've been at this for over 23 years now, and I've seen almost every brand on the market, the problem you have is that you share other users experiences, and are in a closed environment as far as users go. It's ok though, you just don't know..

<< <i>found 2 out of five golden coins on a club hunt and several tokens which were numbered and raffled off for prizes such as MDing supplies >>

A club hunt is NOT a good measure of a detectors ability.....The field , where the stuff is not freshly planted just under the surface, is where a detector is supposed to be used, but club hunts are ok....it's just not the real world metal detecting....but like you said, we all have our opinion .....I have real world finds, with a GTI 2500 to back up my opinion....anyway, good luck.

Here are a couple of field tests, both machines are good machines, and I feel like you can't go wrong with either, and once again the USER is the difference......

White's DFX

Garrett's GTi 2500 Deepseeker

• Options
    Whoa! no need to get angry. I'm just saying that I think the DFX is better metal detector. I clearly stated that you have a right to your opinion. So I should also. Sure the GTi 2500 has things that are better than the DFX, and vice-versa. But I feel what the DFX has to offer is better. Again, you are entirely entitled to your opinion.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options

<< <i>Whoa! no need to get angry >>

LOL....man I'm not angry....I feel like you should get the DFX, and I rarely ever suggest brands....
  • Options
    << << Whoa! no need to get angry>>

LOL....man I'm not angry....I feel like you should get the DFX, and I rarely ever suggest brands....
    >>

Sorry it just sounded like that by the way it was written.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Be good boys..lol. you need to find the best detector for you. Don't listen to any hype. I am great with a DFX and suck with an Explorer, yet both are high end machines.

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.