Home U.S. Coin Forum

GoldCoinLover is OK

He's just a naive kid with a lot of time on his hands for whatever reason. No danger and no harm... He's spending time collecting coins and becoming familiar with the hobby while others his age are out chasing skirts, not a bad lifestyle choice I might add image No doubt he heard a horror story recently which has planted the seed of doubt in his mind and created a suspicion of all coin dealers. I've been trying to sooth his concerns with PMs. A support note from one or two of you guys might go a long way and definitely pay-off in the future both for him and the hobby.

Ben
100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!

Comments

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I wish him well.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Am I missing something? Did something happen?

• << <i>Am I missing something? Did something happen? >>

Yes it involved bad grammer, constant unanswerable questions, a keyboard, a Catholic priest and lots of shame.

Please elaborate. Link?

• << <i>Please elaborate. Link? >>

It's less one link as a series of unfortunate events this is the most recent.

• << <i>

<< <i>Please elaborate. Link? >>

It's less one link as a series of unfortunate events this is the most recent. >>

Lay off the kid, OK?
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • I think the time would be better spent encouraging YNs like p8nt and notlogical (I know there's others but I can't think of them right now). They are the ones that will benefit the hobby.
  • This is the first time I ever bothered commenting on the kid and I'm just doing it for comedy.

I want to see the kids collection it sounds cool but he has picture problems. I'll send the kid a PM.
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents

This young man needs to concentrate on getting out and getting a job much more than spending a lot of time on the puter.

I wish him well.
    Have a nice day
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Geez...to him a hundred dollar coin probably represents a fair amount of his/her where-with-all and he/she wants to know all about it...the transaction, the coin, the process, the whole thing. This is obviously a passionate persuit and an admirable quality and he/she should be given a little room learn the ropes. Just relax and learn to grow things instead of looking for weeds to pull all the time. There is no disturbance in the force from this one.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to encourage new collectors -- especially YN's

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • The kid's ok. He's 17. My youngest boy just turned 18. This is a great age for a lad.
    I gotta keep trying get him into collecting the Seated coins where he stands to have a collection of coins that will appreciate in value over time.
    With this common gold, all he'll ever have is bullion. Gold is a store of value. He doesn't stand to lose much, but he doesn't stand to ever make much either.
    Scarce and rare coins in a series that's adding new collectors right along is where the potential for increasing his wealth lies.

Ray
  • ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    I think he showed buy/do what ever brings him joy.

I think some of you older folks forgete...$100 is alot to a kid that can only land a $5.50 an hour job and only work a few hours a week.

I know I research and look into all aspects of an invest of $100.

Good luck GCL
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    At least he's not nearly as annoying as LittleWicher was.

Russ, NCNE

• << <i>I think the time would be better spent encouraging YNs like p8nt and notlogical (I know there's others but I can't think of them right now). They are the ones that will benefit the hobby. >>

And I won't? What the ****? I'm sorry maybe I am too senstive or take critism badly but that is no reason to say I don't benefit from it. And I like coins just like them and everyone else there so you dont pull that crap with me.

• << <i>And I won't? What the ****? I'm sorry maybe I am too senstive or take critism badly but that is no reason to say I don't benefit from it. And I like coins just like them and everyone else there so you dont pull that crap with me. >>

Yes, you are too sensitive and take criticism badly. The comment you replied to is just the type of thing I suggested you ignore.

If you continue to say things like

<< <i>What the ****? >>

and

<< <i>dont pull that crap with me >>

you will quickly lose any respect you have gained and the support of people who want to help you. You were doing great - get back to it. : )
  • Goldcoinlover

When you ask for opinions expect to get them !!

A little crap is to be expected !! Just the nature of forums in general !!

Dont sweat the small stuff man !!you'll end up screwed up !!

Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭

Tuesday September 27, 2005 5:15 PM (NEW!)

<< I think the time would be better spent encouraging YNs like p8nt and notlogical (I know there's others but I can't think of them right now). They are the ones that will benefit the hobby. >>

And I won't? What the ****? I'm sorry maybe I am too senstive or take critism badly but that is no reason to say I don't benefit from it. And I like coins just like them and everyone else there so you dont pull that crap with me.

• p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    GCL, he said he cant think of the others right now.
  • Goldcoinlover:

I have just lost all respect for you. You give YN's a bad name when you say things like that, IMO.
  • GCL, did you once say you were goin go KILL yourself if your parents didn't give you WHAT YOU WANTED??? I will admit, this is upsetting to say the least!

However, I don't believe you would...

Ben
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>GCL, did you once say you were goin go KILL yourself if your parents didn't give you WHAT YOU WANTED??? >>

Yes, he did and Dog97 was kind enough to offer a suggestion as to methodology.

Russ, NCNE

• << <i>

<< <i>GCL, did you once say you were goin go KILL yourself if your parents didn't give you WHAT YOU WANTED??? >>

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, didn't you offer a guiding hand, telling him NO??? Offering a helping hand out of his dispair, or did anyone else? Or did ya'll wait peacfully to read about it in the CU news?

Delete this thread then................
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!

• << <i>Goldcoinlover:

I have just lost all respect for you. You give YN's a bad name when you say things like that, IMO. >>

I give YN's a bad name when I say that? I give YNs a bad name because I am a "bad' YN? What are you talking about?
    I don't care if you think that, in fact I tried to help you myself and welcomed you to this forum. ANd you go and bad mouth me.

• << <i>GCL, did you once say you were goin go KILL yourself if your parents didn't give you WHAT YOU WANTED??? I will admit, this is upsetting to say the least!

However, I don't believe you would...

Ben >>

No. I said that because I've felt suicidal my whole life and I thikn about it everyday. I'll PM you the rest.

• << <i>

<< <i>Goldcoinlover:

I have just lost all respect for you. You give YN's a bad name when you say things like that, IMO. >>

I give YN's a bad name when I say that? I give YNs a bad name because I am a "bad' YN? What are you talking about?
    I don't care if you think that, in fact I tried to help you myself and welcomed you to this forum. ANd you go and bad mouth me. >>

GCL, take a break from this list for a week and relax... PLEASE image

Ben
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!

• << <i>I don't care if you think that, in fact I tried to help you myself and welcomed you to this forum >>

image I have been an active poster here for 4 months now. When did you welcome me? The day I first posted? I really cant recall you ever tryinmg to help me with anything.

• << <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

ah yes, the infamous instructional suicide post. I seem to remember making quite a fuss over that one image

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GCL,

You will do fine here if you stick to posting about coins and coin-related themes. Do not be drawn into discussions about yourself as you will be outwitted and befuddled at every turn. Stick to the coins.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK: That's superb advice!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

• << <i>GCL,

You will do fine here if you stick to posting about coins and coin-related themes. Do not be drawn into discussions about yourself as you will be outwitted and befuddled at every turn. Stick to the coins. >>

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Goldcoinlover:

Geez Dicky...

You would faint if you ever heard the filth that spews from my mouth while I am at work dealing with the trashbags of society.

• << <i>GoldCoinLover's little 'blog' is entertaining at least. >>

"What would happen if I went up to a chick on the streets of tokyo and started hitting her, beating her up. I'm sure I would get arrested. If I got arrested, what would it be like? What is the legal system like there?"

If this is really you, you need HELP, serious professional help son.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>GoldCoinLover's little 'blog' is entertaining at least. >>

"What would happen if I went up to a chick on the streets of tokyo and started hitting her, beating her up. I'm sure I would get arrested. If I got arrested, what would it be like? What is the legal system like there?"

If this is really you, you need HELP, serious professional help son. >>

It's certainly him; though his older posts that aren't displayed on the first page still are much more entertaining.
  • Thiggy, your an example of a weak follower who thrives on the troubles of another. Just tonight I kicked a homeless women out of a trailer in Leon County TX. The only reason was because she lied...

If wish's were horses...

Ben
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!

<< <i>Thiggy, your an example of a weak follower who thrives on the troubles of another. Just tonight I kicked a homeless women out of a trailer in Leon County TX. The only reason was because she lied...

If wish's were horses...

Ben >>

"you're", and your assessment is not quite up to par. I'm glad to hear you kicked a homeless woman out of a trailer for lying though, that's really neat ( image ). Speaking of liars, and you not liking them, you'd probably learn a lot of his character by how often GCL has lied in the past to everyone on these boards.

But all and all, with weak followers thriving on the troubles of others, well, people who create multiple threads pointing out those weakneses and how they'd fix them for the 'weak' person instead of just keeping such details private certainly rank high on the list.
  • From the 6/7 entry of the blog:

told I had ADHD and ADD by a doctor, which whom I don't believe. I don't know what to do. I am sad.

That alone speaks volumes. I suffered from depression for many years and there are days when you are just despondant. you will find fault with anything anyone says, it will never be right. I was on meds for a few years. They seemed to make the anxiety go away. then therapy first 3 times a week then once a week then after a year twice a month and now its on a as needed basis. There are still "moments" when I feel very sad/depressed but you can learn behavioral techniques to talk yourself through.The feelings DO pass.
    You find yourself isolated not because you are a bad person, because good natured, well intended people will try to help and then withdraw when they are 'pushed away'. you will find yourself loosing jobs because of "attitude" being depressed is as contagious to other people as is yawning. it just brings people down who otherwise may have had a good prooductive day.
    You may find someone you want to be involved with. They may feel the same but as time goes on the depression will rear its ugly head and she will be gone, and once again youre alone.

Boy, this brought back alot but until you take control of your life listen to the doctor and do the hard, painful work you will not get to the other side of it and conquer it. It will conquer you.

I am glad you took up a great hobby like coins. Listen to the folks with the knowledge and experience. I used to work for a gun and coin store when i was in high school. worked part time. paid me half in coins and half in cash. Along with that he gave me some valuable education learning about coins, dealing with customers, relating to people. That was 20 yrs ago and I still value that.

As you learn more about coins and the hobby you will be able to offer advice to some new collector and it will make you feel really great.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now....Thanks for listening and I wish you the best !!!

-Gil

• << <i>

<< <i>Thiggy, your an example of a weak follower who thrives on the troubles of another. Just tonight I kicked a homeless women out of a trailer in Leon County TX. The only reason was because she lied...

If wish's were horses...

Ben >>

"you're", and your assessment is not quite up to par. I'm glad to hear you kicked a homeless woman out of a trailer for lying though, that's really neat ( image ). Speaking of liars, and you not liking them, you'd probably learn a lot of his character by how often GCL has lied in the past to everyone on these boards.

But all and all, with weak followers thriving on the troubles of others, well, people who create multiple threads pointing out those weakneses and how they'd fix them for the 'weak' person certainly rank high on the list. >>

Since when have you been qualified to know or feel the hopes or disappointments of a son or a father... I've never heard you speak of his lies or his pain/confusion. Only your confused situations, restraunts and high-rises. Then again, maybe you two aren't too far apart... Thiggy, you and I would/will NEVER be alike or be friends. I was raised differently than you. Not worse or better but differently and I think STRONGER, I guarentee, MUCH STRONGER...

I prefer the simple like GCLs. If that bothers you then call the social workers on me...

Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    A support note from one or two of you guys might go a long way and definitely pay-off in the future both for him and the hobby.

You really think that would matter? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt.
  • GCL, if anyone PM's you and offers to trade you gold coins for some of your medications, please share the PM with your parents.

And don't even think about trading your meds! you would get into a LOT of trouble!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
    I miss GCL.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I miss him too.

And the way he really brought out the best in some of the folks around here. image
  • How bored are you guys?
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    He was a danger to himself and possibly others.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>I miss GCL. >>

don't cry just yet, he is now a member on the NGC Forum, having joined last week and driving us batty with tons of questions. He seems like a well meaning kid to me, although a bit too neurotic to collect something that has a good deal of money behind it.

Doug
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭
    "Monday, July 11th, 2005
    3:35 pm Hi
    Hi all

I was just reading the PC forums agian and I read that Wezas had a baby. I am so happy for him. I wish I had a wife. I wish to make babies. I would love to have a baby with someone. I would teach them about coins and Gemstone. I am wistfull

If anyone on the PCGS or on the PC boards or anyone that reads this and wishes to help me with making babies. Please contact me. I am not what you would call expeirenced but I am a quick learner. If you are patent with me I will do everything right

"

Man this dood is funny image
    imageimage

• p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

<< <i>was just reading the PC forums agian and I read that Wezas had a baby. I am so happy for him. I wish I had a wife. I wish to make babies. I would love to have a baby with someone. I would teach them about coins and Gemstone. I am wistfull

If anyone on the PCGS or on the PC boards or anyone that reads this and wishes to help me with making babies. Please contact me. I am not what you would call expeirenced but I am a quick learner. If you are patent with me I will do everything right >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file