Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

NO PSA Awards for me this year....

Well, it's official..MOSH (Museum of Sports History) took over the last set I had in first place...MOSH OWNS FOOTBALL, I would love to see the aggregate collection that MOSH has put together. Its borderline historic, and I'm betting PSA puts MOSH in its PSA HOF this year...

I won 10 awards in 2003, 8 in 2004, and now zero in 2005...I hope they eventually turn to baseball, it would be interesting to see if MOSH can take over baseball in the same way they took over football in a 1-2 year span...

But hey, I've still got FOUR 2nd place sets!!!!lol

Jason
I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this has been asked before, but who is MOSH, one person or a group of people. Where are they getting the funds for all of this stuff, are they buyers and sellers?

Stingray
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    One person with employees...

They sell occasionally as well and have an ebay store. Ihave no idea where they get their funds..Not my business...

All I know is that they spend approx. 5-6K per month on ebay..Which is about how much I spend in a year...I kept up for awhile, but MOSH is untouchable in most football sets now..They aren't shooting for 1st place, they are shooting for FINEST POSSIBLE SET RATING and more than likely will reach it in many sets...Meaning MOSH will own THE top graded card possible for every card in their sets...

The definition of untouchable..lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    that sucks that the big bully is takin out the smaller investor...man if they can spend 5-6k a month, i dont think us smaller investors have a chance!

What do folks do with their certificates they get from PSA? Wonder if they are worthy of framing if I ever do get one.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    This has been discussed before - but I don't think MOSH will have an easy time at all on the baseball side. Many of the really big collectors with "famous" collections are primarily baseball, not so much football and basketball. Not saying that it can't be done, but it would take many years, and a whole lot of money - even in that case, a lot of vintage baseball is locked up in those collections and not going anywhere.

This whole "MOSH" concept always amuses me - but at the same time, it does indeed take away the fun from the average collector. Perhaps PSA will eventually have to consider this, and put their sets in a different category - allowing everyone else to go back to pursuing the top spot. Otherwise, you might discourage a lot of potential Registry members from participating at all.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do folks do with their certificates they get from PSA? Wonder if they are worthy of framing if I ever do get one. >>

Mine are probably in a drawer somewhere, if I still have them. They're kinda like the ones kids get for being spelling champion or something.
    I have a friend that puts his in the binder with the set.

MOSH is an interesting concept. Pick a few friends that have some cards and pool the cert numbers. Blow away the guys that list cards they actually own. And wallpaper an outhouse with the award certificates.
    Makes a short man feel 6 feet tall.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    You've been MOSH'ed. That's too bad Jason, you really do have a tremendous collection.

At least you can take solace in knowing that you have the highest-rated OPEN football collection. And you also provide scans, which is nice for those of us who are card voyeurs.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I say if you don't make your grades available to see you should not be able to win an award or even be listed. The fun of the hobby is to see someone's collection. You know if they move MOSH's sets away into another category they will just sign up another ID and take it over again.
  • Options
    We've all been MOSH'd at one time or another. I certainly don't do it for the awards. I collect because I want to. MOSH has pretty much stayed away from the player collections so far. Try those if you want to win certificates that you will misplace. There are more of us than there is of them. If you really like something, collect it hard and MOSH won't be able to catch you. Most of us are competing with them on much smaller budgets. It gives me a whole lot more satisfaction finding an 8 or 9 in raw for a 1950-60-70's card than buying on ebay. I choose to beat them at a couple 1972 NFLPA sets and the 1963 Stancraft set. Shouldabeena is doing similar stuff. Can beat the 10 he has in stancraft, MOSH can only tie. I say "Keep finding the good stuff and let them pay the big bucks for your finds!" The fun is opening the pack or chasing teh cards down, not the number PSA assigns to it!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The fun is opening the pack or chasing teh cards down, not the number PSA assigns to it! >>

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Makes a short man feel 6 feet tall. >>

YES!
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Here's a little registry present I wrapped up special for MOSH.

Check out the top three All Time Finest sets

Hey Bill, I got another good looking raw copy of that last card you need for your Stancraft sets. If it 10's ... I'll let you know, and we'll make a double decker sandwich!

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Like the sandwich!

That would be great on the Stancraft! Look forward to hearing from ya!
  • Options
    Registry question 101: how does one get an award, a certificate? I completed my first type set - 1968 OPC baseball - (actually have a 100% Yaz Basic too), do I need to submit anything? Does it matter that I'm the only one that Registered this set, or must there be some sort of competition to win?
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    If you are 80% complete, you only have to stay #1 to get a certificate.
  • Options
    I wish MOSH all the best but do agree that all sets should be public. And like you, would love to see their collection.

How do I compete, just like I did..and do... in sports. I set my own personal goals and work at acheiving them. I can not compete in spending with MOSH or many of you reading this (if I did my wife would have my ........)

Check out thier listing in the 1975 Topps hockey. They failed to white it out and they even allowed a link to all their sets. By the way, I was number one before I was "MOSH"ed (he-he)

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I haven't competed with these MOSH people yet, do they only buy already graded cards, or do they submit as well? If they only buy already graded cards, I don't look at that as being as much of an accomplishment as doing the dirty work and finding raw cards to grade. Anybody with the money can buy the best, but it takes knowledge to be able to pick out raw cards to grade.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    Should I be worried that the only football team sets MOSH collects are New Orleans Saints? All this time I've been going back and forth with MOSH on these sets I assumed other team set collectors were doing the same. What are the odds that MOSH is a Saints fan?

I've been holding him off on the 1961 Topps Football set, but I know I'll fall to second eventually.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Call it, "The MOSH Pit". We all will get thrown in eventually.

I was on the 68 Topps FB set.

MOSH is an interesting concept. Pick a few friends that have some cards and pool the cert numbers. Blow away the guys that list cards they actually own. And wallpaper an outhouse with the award certificates.

This is not true. Think of it as a company. With investors.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I am trying really hard to think of a valid reason why guys need to see the number #1 set? How does this make your set better? How does his covered set affect building your set? The reason why #1 guys cover the set is so #2,#3,#4 and any other A-holes don't run him up. Many of the number #1 sets don't have scans, so what is the difference in seeing #1 vs. #4? Here is the answer............ so we can find out what cards you need. Here is the #1 guys response to that: None of your business.
    I am so tired of hearing this complaint. This card collecting has turned the old fashion collecting from my set vs. the kid next door, to a serious game between you and the whole world. It does not matter if you are collecting 1952 topps or 1974 topps, this is a competition between men. Be a man and fight till the end to beat MOSH or set a goal and accomplish it.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

If MOSH went past you after September 9th, you will still be #1. Deadline for adding cards was on the 9th. No further additions/upgrades will count until after October 31st,2005 for next year.
  • Options
    What are the odds that MOSH is a Saints fan?

Very, Very, Good. Years ago MOSH's ebay ID was Tigerfan1947 I believe. He was a BIG buyer of any sports related items that had ties to the great state of Louisana

Mark
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Well, I can tell you that MOSH isn't worried about being run-up...They only bid using snipe service, and seem to have no porblem paying MANY MANY multilples of SMR for a needed card...

I want to see the sets for my own selfish reasons...I'm a card collector, and many of their collections are out of this world..I know what I have in my #2 HOF RC set, and it PALES in comparison to MOSH's GPA...I'd like to see what cards they have just to be in awe of it...

I'm an average collector, and love the Registry because it's a great gathering place to see how your collection stacks up vs. the rest of the PSA world. But I am definitely not in competition with anyone except myself. I have a set standard for each card in my collection and will continue to go after whatever cards i need..The PSA Certificates are worthless..I couldn't tell you where mine are from 2003 or 2004...

When it comes to comparing MOSH in football or basketball to any other collector on the Registry, there is simply no comparison....

For those who collect baseball, stash your rare cards and save your money..When MOSH comes a knockin, just step aside and watch the damage...
  • Options
    Carew29-

I thought the Sept 9th date was for any new requests for additions to sets or new sets themselves. If MOSH were to validate more cards and jump into the #1 position, they could if they submit before october 31st as long as the cards are already part of the set.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    I don't know anything about MOSH, but if they are, say, planning on opening an actual museum, where they might charge some kind of admission, then it wouldn't make sense for them to have their collection on the interent where everybody could see it for free. My guess is that if you want to see their collection, you will probably have to wait until they make it "public" and pay to get in.

As for me, I only have 1 registered set, and don't plan on adding any others at this time. This time next month, I'll probably be the owner of more than 1/2 of the top graded cards in the set I'm collecting, but if MOSH slowly takes it over, more power to them.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Unless i read this wrong, this was the reply from PSA BELOW

Hi Marc,

We have just started on player set addition requests from June. As long as your requests were submitted before 9/9, they will be added in time for the awards. Any requests made after that date, will not be added until after the awards deadline of 10/31, this was posted on the news page of the registry.

http://www.psacard.com/set_registry/registry_news.chtml

We had to implement a cut-off date as we were getting literally hundreds of requests on a weekly basis. You will be notified as soon as you can add your cards.

Thank You,
    Cosetta Robbins
    Assistant Set Registry Manager
    Collectors Universe Inc.
    (949) 567-1234
    (949) 833-7660 fax
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    The deadline for adding new card requests to an existing set composition is/was 9/9.

The deadline for adding cards to YOUR SET that are already a part of the set composition is 10/31.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Don't F*#% with Mr. Zero...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I still say that MOSH will not be the top dog in baseball.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    JasP,
    Sorry to hear about the MOSHing but it happens. He is currently dominatling but as his interests move, I believe he can be had. He may spend 5 - 6K on eBay but Wolfbear, Skinsfan and myself probably all spend that or more as well. Where he kills is when he spends 10K+ and buys top sets that I didn't even usually know were for sale. Also there are several other names that muy for him directly on eBay so your estimate is seriously low. I suspect that he has had months at 10X your estimate.
    But, doesn't matter. Collect for yourself and don't give up, if you look at his first ventures into FB from a few years ago (67 Philly and 61 Nu Card were the first ones I remember), they both have been overtaken as he has moved on to newer conquests. If you have tried to spend that level of $ there are just not enough hours in the day to watch everything, bid on everything, pay for everything and track it all. Can't be done. I suspect as he moves on to BB, if that really happens, he will become relatively easy pickens if you will. It will take those 10X figues for years to build out top sets and to defend them even short term. I believe that many of even the top 60's sets have SMR's in excess of that and you would have to pay premiums to get them.
    Tortoise (sp?) and the Hare Big Guy,
    Fuzz

Shouldabeena,
    Congrats on the second set in 10's. Impressive even on a set of coasters.
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    74 Topps basketball collectors, looks like MOSH is pursuing that set pretty heavily.

Stingray
  • Options
    When the highest possible set rating is 9.12 and MOSH has a set at 9.10 or HIGHER, its basically impossible to catch him. Honestly, i knew this day would come as soon as I saw how much he was willing to pay for the cards he needs. Me, I don't have the luxury of writing blank checks for cards...So I know I will never catch him in some of the sets I collect, others I might still make a run. My collection is still my collection, but when it comes to stacking up on the football side of the Set Registry, MOSH is the man...

Jason

• Options
    What is a PSA award?

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    They bring a solid large gold cup to your house in a large black limo and it is presented to you by scantily clad beauties who just happen to be FB card collector groupies.
    Now you know why we are all trying to win them so hard.
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of speculation about who or what MOSH is.

From chatting with folks in the hobby, it is my understanding that MOSH is one person.
    Someone spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on sportscards is going to need some help,
    so obviously he is assisted by card dealers as well as other people in putting his sets together.

It is also my understanding that MOSH is a very passionate collector with a genuine love for the hobby.
    He is NOT just some bully trying to push around the little guys.

Also, I believe there will be an actual physical museum at some point where people will be able to see the cards,
    and the reason for the sets being closed for now is to keep him from being taken advantage of in the marketplace.

There are still some 1960's football sets that he's just not going to be able to get to # 1 in.
    Some of us little guys still hold the key cards and have no intention of selling.

Just think of him as fellow collector who happens to have a bit ( okay a lot ) more to spend than the rest of us. image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>

There are still some 1960's football sets that he's just not going to be able to get to # 1 in.
    Some of us little guys still hold the key cards and have no intention of selling.

Just think of him as fellow collector who happens to have a bit ( okay a lot ) more to spend than the rest of us. image >>

Never say never Wolf if you recall he was way behind in 66 and 67 topps football but out of no place he shot into #1 $$$$$$$ talks
    Even with my 3rd grade education i know that image
  • Options
    when it comes to baseball there is no way mosh can get top spot in the early years 1952-56..

the examples of 1 of 1's are locked up in sets which are owned by people who wont sell for many years...
    While the occasional Branca collection card may come up, the graded examples in one set that you must aquire just isnt available.

I will agree that a MOSH type collector may be able to crack the top 3 I seriously doubt their ability to become number 1. I relish the thought that Fogel will sell his gem 10 52 mantle, or Don will sell any of his cornerstone cards out of his collection at this point.

While MOSH may one day be able to secure these type of cards, it reminds me of the Hunt Brothers trying to corner the silver market, and we know the result of that attempt.

what happens far to often is a 1 of 1 becomes a 1 of 2 (wagner 8 aside) and the value plumets, too much risk if you ask me.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Isn't MOSH the museum of sports history? That seems like a conglomerate rather than a single person.
  • Options
    I will be getting 7 awards for nonsport cards check sets under barry oursler