Home Metal Detecting

Has anyone found any gold coins with metal deteching and how rare are they to find?

I know some people have found some gold coins with metal detector. One of these days I am going to buy an advanced metal detector. I would love to find treasure. Please post here if you've found gold coins metal detecting and how rare they are.

Thank you

Comments

• i've had better luck finding silver dollars. i always thought my first gold coin would be alot larger.

• << <i>i've had better luck finding silver dollars. i always thought my first gold coin would be alot larger.
    image >>

Ooh is that the gold coin you found with metal detecting?
  • I have found two in the 20 some odd years I have been detecting. The first one is a 1781 gold escudo, which was used in this area as legal tender until arounnd the middle 1800's. The second one is a 1907 US Ten Dollar gold piece. A pretty big coin that I can't imagine anyone losing. Not as big as a silver dollar though. Some reasons gold coins are not easily found are the fact that back then it was a LOT of money, and most people didn't carry that much around in their pockets. Another reason is that being that much money, if one did lose it, I'm sure they would hunt until they found it or
    just finally had to give up....Both of these coins were found in the same general area. Both were found with a Garrett GTi2500......

imageimage
  • So far I have not........image

• << <i>I have found two in the 20 some odd years I have been detecting. The first one is a 1781 gold escudo, which was used in this area as legal tender until arounnd the middle 1800's. The second one is a 1907 US Ten Dollar gold piece. A pretty big coin that I can't imagine anyone losing. Not as big as a silver dollar though. Some reasons gold coins are not easily found are the fact that back then it was a LOT of money, and most people didn't carry that much around in their pockets. Another reason is that being that much money, if one did lose it, I'm sure they would hunt until they found it or
    just finally had to give up....Both of these coins were found in the same general area. Both were found with a Garrett GTi2500......

imageimage >>

Wow thats awesome! Well worth the 20 years hunting. Did you have a good metal detector? I'm surprised it took you that long to find one. Wow. What state did you find it in?

• << <i>Did you have a good metal detector? I'm surprised it took you that long to find one. Wow. What state did you find it in? >>

Well, I'd like to think it's a good detector, the Garrett GTi 2500 is an awsome machine, and I have made several great finds with it. 20 years IS a long time, but trust me, time spent won't always equal a gold coin or two...These were found in Southeast Georgia, on the coast side of the state, on a waterfront.