Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How to register coins registered to someone else?

I purchased 3 proof Liberty nickels from the Heritage Long Beach auction. I tried to put them in my registry set and 2 of them were rejected because they are in another set. How do I get them in my set?

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send a note to setregistry@pcgs.com. They will contact the person with them registered and ask them to remove them (if they do not, they will do it for them)

Usually happens pretty quick.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    On the fancy new site, it should have a link that you can click to send that person a message (no need for either person to know the other identity). I am sure that 99% of the time it is just people that sold the coin and forgot to delete it from the 10 different sets that it was registered in.
  • Options
    Thanks,
    Forgot to say that I have paid for the coins but don't yet have them in my possession (they should be in the mail today). Does that matter because I'm now the rightful owner?

Also do you have a proof Liberty Nickel registry set and if so which one?
  • Options

<< <i>On the fancy new site, it should have a link that you can click to send that person a message (no need for either person to know the other identity). I am sure that 99% of the time it is just people that sold the coin and forgot to delete it from the 10 different sets that it was registered in. >>

How do I look up the person(s) who has them in their set(s)? Is there a link to enter the serial # and find out who it is?
  • Options
    that's the issue. You do not NEED this info and you shouldn't be able to find it out (which is the way the current system is set up), but the "system" knows, and it can/should be able to send an automated message without having to wait for human intervention. If there is a dispute, then get people involved
  • Options
    If they can't reach the previous owner for a couple of days, PCGS will request that you take a picture of the front and the back of the slab...just to prove that you have it in your possession. Then they can automatically release the coin. I have had PCGS release a few coins in my time...mainly because the previous owner was unresponsive to their request. Hope this helps!

Toby
  • Options

<< <i>If they can't reach the previous owner for a couple of days, PCGS will request that you take a picture of the front and the back of the slab...just to prove that you have it in your possession. Then they can automatically release the coin. I have had PCGS release a few coins in my time...mainly because the previous owner was unresponsive to their request. Hope this helps!

Toby >>

Thanks, I have already sent an e-mail per dbldie55 suggestion. I also image all my coins so that would not be a problem. I don't understand what sonofa*unk is saying about "the "system" knows, and it can/should be able to send an automated message without having to wait for human intervention." Is there somewhere to just enter the serial number and this happens (like the authenticity look up)?
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    >>

" Is there somewhere to just enter the serial number and this happens (like the authenticity look up)? >>

NO.
  • Options

<< <i> >>

" Is there somewhere to just enter the serial number and this happens (like the authenticity look up)? >>

NO. >>

Then how do you make this automated message work?
  • Options
    Julien, I seemed to confuse you. The automated system DOESN'T exist. They are redoing the regsitry website and I said that this SHOULD be part of the new site
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    DD55 had it exactly correct.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    They may ask you for proof that you are the coin owner. Just send them a link to the Heritage auction or send then a scan of your invoice.
  • Options
    this happened to me once, and they just asked me to fax them a photocopy of the coin, and then let me add it to my set.
  • Options
    I just had this same circumstance last week. It took a day after a request to pcgs to take care of it. image
  • Options

Take em out behind the wood shed, I say!imageimage

What I do is call Cosetta at PCGS and e-mail her a picture of the coin. Then they give the old owner a couple of days to respond before they delete it.

Larry
    Dabigkahuna

• Options
    Yes, I agree. This is the first time that I directly dealt with Cosetta at PCGS, and, as with BJ, Carol, and the other providers, everything went as smoothly as could be possible. image