Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The embodiment of all that is bad about the Registry

This Washington Ship Halfpenny, graded MS63 by PCGS and a pop 1/0, realized $25,000+ in the Heritage auction.

imageimage

This is a coin type that is quite common and typically sells for $750 - 1250 in pleasing AU grade.

At $25,000+, this one sold for about 3 to 4 times what the next highest priced Washington Ship Halfpenny as ever sold for, in any grade at anytime, anywhere - including many that were raw but superior to this one.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a Registry for these?
  • Options
    Yes - and evidently one that is being pursued with great fervor by at least 2 people.

Unless you think someone bought this coin merely because it is magnificent* and paid no heed to its holder? Me neither.

* Sarcasm.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone has the right to spend their money as they choose.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Everyone has the right to spend their money as they choose. >>

Can't argue with that.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin doesn't appear to be much more than a choice AU58.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>The coin doesn't appear to be much more than a choice AU58.

roadrunner >>

Photos certainly seem to suggest slight rub!!!
    RAD
  • Options
    Old copper is the last place I'd ever think the Registry would impact bidding fever-given the wide opinions about the correct grade on most issues. Isn't it more likely it was just 2 people who wanted the same coin, or has it appeared in the Registry? image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd recommend shutting down the registries for awhile to teach everyone a lesson! But than again, I wouldn't be a very popular guy around here! image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem lies with the buyer, not the Registry. In fact, if the Registry were shut down tomorrrow, the buyer would quickly find a new way to blow the rest of his money. It is his fate.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭

I would agree the Registry has brought greed into picture, prompting some buyers to run up prices of coins just so they can have the best set(s). In this case the $25,000 was an auction bid, meaning there were other bidders. It would be interesting to know how many bidders were involved over the $12,000 level and when each dropped out on the way to $25,000.

Dan
  • Options
    JoshLJoshL Posts: 656 ✭✭
    It's all the fault of those bad people with the nice sets of coins. I can't believe that there are actually coin collectors out there who want the best the coin world has to offer. It is also hard to believe that prices of the finest coins are driven up by this type of demand. image Someone really should take their coins from them. Teach them a lesson! image
    I love coins...image
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's all the fault of those bad people with the nice sets of coins. I can't believe that there are actually coin collectors out there who want the best the coin world has to offer. It is also hard to believe that prices of the finest coins are driven up by this type of demand. image Someone really should take their coins from them. Teach them a lesson! image >>

Did you look at the coin?

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Yea. just be satisfied with anything. Get no desisre to have the best coin you can. Flip through change to get a wheatie. Yea. That's it.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Its a FUGLY ms 63.If it was a Lincoln cent graded ms 63 noone would buy it as there are many others that are finer.Technically it is an ms 63 because there is no wear on the coin.Andy is right;it is the ego of the bidders and not the Registry.

Stewart
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy is right;it is the ego of the bidders

It's more a function of ignorance than of ego. And greed has nothing to do with it.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.