Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Small Victory.....

in my WWII collection of governments-in-exile, occupation governments, and defunct countries. The complete set of german occupation five ore pieces for Norway (KM #388). The 1944 is a little scarce and the 1945 is very scarce. These coins are made of iron and are quite difficult to find without corrosion. Of those shown below, only the 1944 has a few small rust flakes. The 1945 is very clean and has some interesting die cracks. image

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• Options
    Those are outstanding!!!
    Shep
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting set. image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These coins are made of iron and are quite difficult to find without corrosion >>

No kiddin'!

I have never seen one as pristine as that 1942! The best I've had were barely as nice as your '41 and '44.

Ever seen any of the German-occupied Belgian zincs in full white color? I haven't. I've had some up to maybe slider UNC grade, but they've all been the usual dark grey. (I've been lucky to find a few without "zinc pests", i.e., that white crud, but not too many).

WW2 sure did mark a tough time for coinage in terms of materials, didn't it. I guess our own US steel cents and "war nickels" could be considered part of the wartime trend of unusual metal compositions.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Belgian, no. I have a few zinc pieces...Slovakian, Dutch, Norwegian that are BU with lots of luster. No Belgian. They seem to be the easiest to corrode.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com