Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Highlights (and a couple of disappointments) from my second submission (w/scans)

Most from the PSA Set Registry Special and a couple from the '72-92 Special. Good turn-around: received at PSA 9/1/05, grades posted 9/8/05, shipped 9/8/05 and arrived in my mail-box 9/12/05.

Here are the initial registrants in my Post-'48 HOF RC set:

Purchased raw at a local card show January 12, 2002. Disappointed by this "6" -- thought it was a solid "7" with a chance at an "8".

Purchased raw off eBay August 16, 2003. Solid corners and color, the centering and perhaps the fish-eye near "3rd Base" held this one back from an "8".

Purchased raw from my favorite shop July 5, 2005. Solid centering and corners, tough to find this card without very noticeable roller marks and/or print lines.

Purchased raw from my favorite shop July 27, 2002. This gem is one of my favorites. At the Cleveland National in 2004, GAI pre-graded this one as a "7" -- I'm thrilled that PSA provided a welcome second opinion!

Additions to my Mantle sets:

Purchased raw by phone in a "Mystery Pack" (see this thread for an explanation) from my favorite shop May 12, 2005. Real solid centering and corners, thought this one had a good shot at an "8".

Purchased raw off eBay October 19, 2003. I haven't seen many examples of this card as well-centered.

Purchased raw from a card shop in Dayton, OH, July 5, 2003. First of my 42 submitted cards to come back qualified. 73/27 top-to-bottom so it could have come back a straight "7". Still, I think this card has pretty solid eye-appeal. Would you rather have this card in an unqualified 7 holder or in an 8OC slab? Crack and re-submit? I haven't been able to track any sales of this card on eBay -- if I put it up as is should I expect getting "7" value or less?

Additions to my Clemente sets:

Purchased raw from my favorite shop December 23, 2003.

Purchased raw off eBay June 4, 2000. Stunning color on this one, centering held it back from an "8".

Additions to my Aaron sets:

Purchased raw at a card show December 29, 2002. Bummed by the "6", thought this was a real solid "7" with an outside shot at "8". Those '71s are tough...

Purchased raw from my favorite shop, by my sister for my birthday, October 15, 2000.

Purchased raw at the Cleveland National July 24, 2004.

Purchased raw from my favorite shop December 27, 2001.

Purchased raw off eBay June 16, 2002. Thrilled this one came back an "8".

These last three were very strong raw cards that I just wanted graded:

Purchased raw by phone in a "Mystery Pack" from my favorite shop August 14, 2004. Stunning color on this one.

Purchased raw by phone in a "Mystery Pack" from my favorite shop June 19, 2004. A rock-solid "8".

Purchased raw at a card shop. Saw it but didn't buy it, then was up thinking about it all night, went back to buy it the next day. I really thought this one was a "9" -- one of the absolutely best raw vintage cards I've owned.

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    pretty good eye for raw cards!

the 70 Bench is a beauty!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Very nice cards. I love that Bob Gibson...great colors. Looks solid.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I need to start shoping at your favorite card shop.... Seems like it might be in Ohio or close by. Where might that fine shop be???
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Very nice cards; good eye for raw.

I wouldn't crack that '69 Mantle - it's a qualified 8. I measured top to bottom at 80/20, but even giving you the 77/23 you came up with, that's still 6 centering. 7 front centering is 70/30 to 75/25.

Edited to add: Value-wise, I think the centering hurts this card, although it's better off graded than not. I would be surprised if it got the kind of money a straight 7 would pull.

Now that '70 Bench is another story.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Overall they look pretty nice- especially when you consider they were bought raw, some off the internet.
    Gai pregraded the Gibson a 7 and PSA gave it an 8? So much for Global gift grades. Had it been slabbed GAI 7 I"m sure PSA would've rejected it as trimmed.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>pretty good eye for raw cards!

the 70 Bench is a beauty! >>

I agree. image
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i> So much for Global gift grades. >>

What???........What are you talking about?!?!
    There are no such things as Global gift grades!

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Great post and nice cards. Thanks for providing all the scans!

Seems like you can sniff out good cards!
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet cards.....congrats!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards. On the 75 Brett, the centering is definately what got it a 7. The fish eye would never keep it from an 8. I've had straight 9's with those on it. Not very eye appealing, but PSA doesn't really take anything off for 1 of those. Otherwise, it looks like a solid 8.

As for that 71 Aaron, I think I would crack and resubmit it if it's worth that extra cost. It looks really good from the scan. Same with the 65 Carlton.
  • Options
    Great cards and thanks for the scans. The 65 Carlton RC looks a lot nicer than a 6. The 59 Banks AS and the 70 Bench are awesome!
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Nice eye and nice cards! Agree with MorellMan on the Mantle, but some of those 6's ... especially the 71 Aaron ... look much nicer than a 6.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    My 68 and 69 Mantle's were both 8(OC). The 68 was more in line with 6 centering and the 69 was inline with 7 centering. I got PSA 7 money on the 68 and a bit over SMR for a 7 on my 69. I felt they got very strong prices for both.
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I especially appreciate the thoughtful replies from MorrellMan and Envoy98 on my '69 Mantle. Here's another question for you: would you rather have a 50/50 PSA 7 or a 65/35 PSA 8? And is OC side-to-side more troublesome than OC top-to-bottom?

Interested to hear your views...
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I especially appreciate the thoughtful replies from MorrellMan and Envoy98 on my '69 Mantle. Here's another question for you: would you rather have a 50/50 PSA 7 or a 65/35 PSA 8? And is OC side-to-side more troublesome than OC top-to-bottom?

Interested to hear your views... >>

Wouldn't even hesitate - 50/50 PSA 7. I would buy a 50/50 PSA 6 over a 65/35 PSA 8 star card. As a rule, I do not buy 65/35 PSA 8 at all.

To me, OC side-to-side is about the same as top-to-bottom, as far as eye appeal.