Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Auction Opinion ('60 Cello)

What do you guys think of this one? link

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I'm not an expert at all - but, thanks for linking that cello.
    I bought a pretty fair share of those 45 years ago.
    That's what they looked like.

I'd be a bit concerned over what looks like some wear to the upper left corner; but this is the 1 - 110 series with a possible Ford, Banks, Kaline, Wynn, BRobby, Gibson, Mays/Rigney and a couple of the lowest pop commons in the set. The Francona card shows there might be some centering issues as well.

Would you bust it?

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    A couple of pretty neat auctions by the seller btw....

Any reds fans in the house.....?

1960 Yearbook

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    I think I'd examine it very very very closely, and maybe bust it (I have a mostly raw/some graded '60 set that I'm selling off a handful of the top cards from on ebay right now). If I felt there were centering issues I'd send the cello to GAI.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Just a thought. Don't you think the seller would have already sent the cello to GAI, if he thought it had a chance at a 6,7,8? The seller is very experienced.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    the pack is sealed correctly and looks legit from the scan. most of the bad cellos from this era are sealed across the back , not on the ends. The only thing you would get from gai is the authentication and that isn't worth much on these cellos from what I have seen recently. the grade would probably be a 6 with those big splits on the top corners and as silly as it sounds , will probably sell for more unauthenticated than it would authenticated.

the top card is nicely centered which makes for nice presentation imo
  • Options
    Interesting-

I think I am going to pass on this one, only because it looks like it's heading to a price that isn't a whole lot cheaper than a high-quality graded cello from BBCE. The fact that the guy did not have it graded does make me a bit hesitant.

-Andrew
  • Options
    not a bad price for a legit cello, it won't be a cello for long as the winner is sure to crack it open
  • Options
    60 cello in rack from the same seller

well this adds a little legitamacy to the previous auction , it's too bad the rack came apart as these are some of the rarest and coolest unopened items from the era
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Oh yea, that is a shame.

I wonder if it was cut apart for $$$$$ reasons.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Still gotta love that 5 cent price sticker on the back............
  • Options
    This seller is very good. I've dealt with him in the past with very good luck, in case anyone is thinking of bidding on these.