Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sportscard News of the Weird

Good evening everyone, this is Randoph Womantooth, coming to you live from Snugglepuss Grading Corporation headquarters in beautiful downtown Burbank. Here are our top stories:

- Autograph collector Donald Ross has gone bankrupt after publicly announcing he would buy all fake Babe Ruth autographs to rid them from circulation at $50 a pop.

- Ebay seller iscamyou was NARU'd last week after selling trimmed 1988 Topps reprints, but reports from the field indicate he is back using a newly registered ID youcantstopme. Please use extreme caution when bidding on his items.

- A press release from GVA, Goble's Verification Assumptions, has announced that the company will be offering DNA authentication, and plans to create a DNA reference database of sports figures and celebrities by sending them a cup for a DNA sample of their choosing. Deceased players will be exhumed with or without the permission of decendants.

- Brad Pitt shocked the entertainment world today by admitting that he has had plastic surgery to further his looks and career. Pitt has admitted to being a 76 year old former major league pitcher with the first name of Don, but declined to state the last name for fear of having his card prices run up before he could corner the market.

- Bud Selig, in an apparent mid-life crisis, has recently acquired a cherry red 1985 Corvette with the license plate PR4192, and has been seen doing donuts in the parking lot of Major League Baseball headquarters. When asked what the license plate meant, Selig replied, "How should I know, I won it in a bet."

- Jesse Dans, of Richfield, Kentucky, is suing Topps after he allegedly found a rat inside a 1986 Topps wax pack that he purchased at a card show recently. Topps officials declined to comment, but Mr. Dans has said that all he wants out of it is a free 1986 Topps Gooden All-Star. The case is pending.

- And finally, an original and authentic T-206 Honus Wagner recently sold on Ebay for one dollar and ninety-nine cents, plus 37 cents shipping. Apparently, the seller's great-grandfather had the card his whole life, and recently passed away, giving the card to his grandson and telling him to see what he could get for it on Ebay. PSA has encapsulated the card as MINT 9, making it the highest graded T206 Wagner in existence. The buyer, who wishes to remain anonymous until he gets his shipment back from PSA, explained his good fortune this way: "We all know that most Wagner's on Ebay are fake, but the unique and novel story of the seller getting it from his great-grandather just seemed too bulletproof, and I decided to bid. You just have to know what to look for, I guess."

And that's the news, I'm Randolph Womantooth. See you tomorrow!

Comments

• Options
    imageimage
    imageimage

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21