Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Payton Master Set Complete!!!

After a lot of digging I finally found decent copies of the last 3 items needed to complete this set. Still several cards in need of upgrade, but just finding some of these the first time around has been a lot of fun - just what a hobby should be. Not bad for 7-8 months of work. Now, on to those upgrades (and finishing off the Sayers Master Set).

Walter Payton Master Set

Best wishes to all on your own collections!!

Comments

• Options

Nice job! And thanks for providing scans image

Looks like the box bottoms were the last additions. Did you hand cut them yourself?
  • Options
    Indeed I did. Hard to find those babies without some sort of scuffing, ink splotch or crease.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    AH.....the feeling of putting of typing in the last number in your registry set..............One day i shall know what it is.....image

Congrats.....image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    congrats!!!!
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is a spectacular set. I know from my Marcus Allen collection how tough some of those issues are. I particularly liked the '77 Mexican, that is doubtlessly the nicest Mexican Payton I've seen. Do you have all 4 '86 McDonald's versions? It's odd that only one color is in the master set.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Alan,

Yes, I do have all 4 McDonald's color variations graded. In fact, I've got all 4 from both the Bears team and All Star sets. Just waiting on PSA to add them to the set. All told, there's probably around 25-30 cards yet to be added, so it's nice to achieve 100% while the gettin's good.

What have you found particularly difficult to find for the Marcus Allen set? Now, I'm researching a lot on my Sayers Master set, and that is REAL tough.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Difficult to find, and difficult to find in Gem Mint are two different questions image. I've been collecting Allen in raw for 9 years, and am an ultra-completist. Not counting the post-playing days 1/1 and 1/5 stuff, these are cards I have not seen in any grade in 9 years:

1983 NFLPA Slide (from the set given to media outlets)
    1985 Raiders Police (not the common Raiders/Rams police... maybe Beckett has bad information here and accidentally listed an extra set)
    1986 Brownell Heisman
    1986 DairyPak Aqua, Black, Brown, Light Blue, Orange and Purple (red and dark blue and green are common, my theory is that not all players were printed in all colors)
    1988 Football Heroes Sticker
    1994 Collector's Choice Spanish Promos
    1996 Chiefs Star Price Chopper
    1996 Pro Line Printer's Proof (why this is so hard to find, I'll never know)
    1996 Topps Laser Promo

As for condition rarities, the box bottoms are obvious, along with the DairyPak. I've also had trouble finding an '83 non-insert Sticker in Gem mint (I have the only PSA 9). The McDonalds are really tough in 10 because of the scratch-offs. Some of the earlier foil cards ('95-97) were poorly printed, and are impossible to find without chips.

Congratulations again,
    Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Alan. I guess only the DairyPak cards are in common due to limited career overlap. I, too, have had a hard time finding the Payton's in any color beyond red, green or blue. I see that neither set has any of these as part of the current Master Set. Have you submitted it/them as set additions? I do see that they already have the Jeno's Pizza card in the Allen set, which is currently absent from the Payton set. Anyway, great set, and best wishes in finding those last dozen or so. It looks like you'll enjoy a long reign atop the Allen standings.
  • Options
    And the latest submission has indeed landed me 3 of those intended upgrades:

1 1969 TOPPS FOUR IN ONE GALE SAYERS SINGLE 6
    2 1977 TOPPS MEXICAN 360 WALTER PAYTON N/A 8
    3 1980 FLEER TEAM ACTION 7 CHICAGO BEARS COMING THROUGH 9
    4 1983 TOPPS STICKERS 213 WALTER PAYTON N/A 9
    5 1985 FLEER TEAM ACTION 7 BEARS PICKING HIS SPOT 9
    6 1986 JENO'S PIZZA 12 WALTER PAYTON N/A 9

Date Received: 09/19/2005
    Date of Grades Posted: 09/23/2005
    Date Shipped: 09/23/2005

Finally found a decently centered MINT copy of that pesky 1983 #213 sticker, plus landed a nice SPARE 1977 Topps Mexican PSA 8 (let the clamoring begin). Ohh, it's fun to chase these sets down!!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    How much do you think a 1984 Topps Walter Payton IA PSA 10 would bring on Ebay?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Beautiful set...thanks for the scans.

I am especially jealous of that 1985...I've been looking for awhile, but over $150 to get it in 9 is harsh image

Nice work!