Home Sports Talk
Options

The Saga of the Bloody Sock

I could not have said it any better. Wow, is this guy perceptive or what?!?!. I'm lovin it!!!!

"Instead, I spent much of my northbound trip pondering the Legend of Schilling and the media that has bred and nurtured it. This is nothing new — I’ve wondered about it on occasion ever since the famous “bloody sock” game of the 2004 American League Championship Series, when it had its origin. For me it always comes back to the same questions: If the wound on Schilling’s ankle was bleeding through his bandages, why didn’t the Red Sox team doctor or trainers change the dressings between frames? Why, for that matter, wasn’t the bloodstained stocking — called a sanitary for a reason — changed for a fresh one?

Schilling, remember, had a deep incision that had been sutured shut. It made no logical sense to risk having that unhealed cut become infected. Furthermore, with all the pressure being put on Schilling’s foot — his push-off foot, remember — throughout the game, how come that bloodstain never got any bigger? If you’ve ever had a deep cut on a part of your body that’s in constant, repeated use — a finger, a toe — you know it typically won’t stop bleeding unless you stop using it long enough for a scab to form and its edges to knit together.

Now imagine the stress Schilling’s ankle took on the mound. After a bunch of innings, you’d figure his sock would’ve had more than that single blotch of red on it. Figure it would have been soaked through and through.

Or I do, anyway.

So let me put it bluntly: I am skeptical of the bloody sock saga. Always have been. I could be dead wrong about it, but I think it’s odd that newspaper and media types whose job it is to explore such stories never asked the obvious questions I’ve asked here. There have been winking insinuations, cautiously worded suggestions, but no open and explicit questions that I can recall.

Is it important to raise them after all this time — almost an entire year later? With the Legend of Schilling still under steady construction, I, for one, believe so. That bloody sock episode has become history, the sock itself an artifact enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame. And history must have unassailable integrity if it is to be anything more than myth. It is good that we’ve learned Apollo does not ride the sun through the sky."

Deep in the Red also know as the Saga of the Bloody Sock

Comments

• Options
    I was thinking that at the time also.

In most other sports, if blood appears on a jersey arent they required to change their jersey due to the disease aspects?

Maybe its just basketball, but I always thought open wounds and blood stained jerseys had to be fixed before the player was allowed back into play.,
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Cubsfan.....

Could the reasoning be that baseball is not a "contact" sport.
  • Options
    Yes, he's very perceptive.

This is just about the stupidest thread I have ever seen.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    YES network drivel.

The yankees would wet their pants if they had a player who showed half the heart as Schilling did last year.

• Options
    Schilling, remember, had a deep incision that had been sutured shut.

That's a quote from that BS post! .... and he still pitched! His wounds weren't dressed between innings because of the special shoe and extremely ellaborate tape job. So bite me!

Gayrod gets a hangnail and misses a week!

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    Gayrod gets a hangnail and misses a week!

image >>

Actually Arod is one of the most durable players of this generation.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    No matter how much Spammy tries to discredit Schilling, he still OWNED the Yank-mees in post-season -- first with Arizona, then last year with the Red Sox. And today Schilling took away the Spankees home field advantage for the division series.

Keep it up Spammy -- you alone are keeping the curse of the bloody sock alive and well!! image

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

you guys complain about spammys threads but you dig one up from 9/22 and bring it to the top.. come on, ripublican!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I just wanted the post about the sock ....to say worship the sock!
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    "Gemmy The Magnificent" (Answer): The Saga of the Bloody Sock.

Ed McMahon (question): Magnificent One - what happens when you attempt to do home improvements?
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...