Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kansas quarter error?

Last Sat. I bought a roll of p and d quarter from a local dealer here and upon opening the roll I found this error on the P (Ebay item reference: 8336881240 )

The roll I have also has a crack from the bottom right of the ground to the rim (same type of die crack). I went to a couple of other dealers selling rolls of p quarters and did not find the error. I went back to the original dealer and bought two more rolls. and sure enough 90% had the error.....

Is this going to be a common error or should I go and buy out his inventory at $15.00 a roll?

There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye

Comments

• Options
    Got pictures?
  • Options
    go to the ebay item...8336881240

I know someday I gotta learn to post linky's

There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • Options
    Nick
  • Options
    it will be called the sneezing buffalo.
    Nick
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die breaks are common with some designs but as a general rule they don't command
    much premium even when they aren't common. It's not impossible that they will attract
    more interest in the future or one could get popular but it is unlikely.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was a die crack, but it's snot...image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    The booger blowing buffalo!!! Quick someone Call Neptune!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Funny,
    I bought five rolls of California quarters from the mint and opened one box. Didn't open the rolls, however, noticed they (P & D) had small scratches (diameter of a centimeter) at the base of the neck of Washington on the obverse. I have not opened the others and have not noticed it on other quarters. For what it's worth... I am terrible at taking pics but if I get a good one worth posting, I will.

Freak
  • Options
    oops !!
    Sorry about the attachments. They were meant for another post. Trying to do to much at once.

Freak
  • Options
    Errors like this are a dime a dozen...or in this case a quarter a dozen.
  • Options

<< <i>Errors like this are a dime a dozen...or in this case a quarter a dozen. >>

So they have gone up in price? image
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I look forward to the "runny nose" designation for this die crack.
  • Options
    I got a Kansas error also. It was in the proof set though.

A 1943 copper Lincoln will still only buy a gumball out of the machine, but you can purchase the machine and the store with that same cent.
  • Options
    THe snot nose variety.Very cool.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    Why call it an error (vs. a die crack)?

At least you'll get the right collectors...

~g
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    I just read on CW that 3.2 million Kansas Quarters just melted in a fire during transport. $800,000 face value for what it's worth .

Freak
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i did get one in change the other day.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with MadMarty.....Go call that *woman* from Texas and let her do her little PR work on it.
    She will call all the news networks, all the magazines, David Hall, etc. Soon, she will have it listed as the "Booger Blowin' Buff" and have discovery certificates printed out.
    Then, one person on ebay will buy them all up at stupid prices and she will proclaim it "the people are speaking with their wallets" and say how important it is.

So, if you want to make money off this, go get her help image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I like the "booger blowing buffalo" and would pay 5 cents for one any day.....I would then spend it the next.

I like Moderns but die cracks and gouges just don't do much for me.

I didn't buy I wound eagle Sac and wouldn't buy a Speared Bison. I am still not sure why PCGS decided to recognize a die crack.

Abraded dies are a little different if they have entirely removed a major element. The 3 leg buffalo is the classic example of this, as is the 1922 "No P" cent.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    If small die cracks like that were worth anything at all I'd be a millionaire. If you take a close look at Lincoln cents you'd quickly find that over half of them have a die crack somewhere. Die cracks, especially ones that take a microscope to see, are extremely common and should be overlooked.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    Dont let David Hall see it, He'll slab it and call it the "Booger Bison" first strikeimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file