Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay is starting to lose their grip on reality....

ESPN

Ebay is pulling a charity auction for Robby Gordon's helmet because the bidding got to $10 million. They said that the auction violated their terms by not filing the proper charity paperwork, even though Robby Gordon's foundation ran the auction and publicly promised to donate the proceeds.

Ebay could have simply worked with Gordon behind the scenes to fix the problem. Instead they had to pull the auction to show how powerful they are. I think Meg Whitman needs an ego check. I really hope another viable auction site pops up. The sports market is large enough to support a unique site.

Yahoo, Overstock, Naxcom, Beckett, or Google needs to buy out Larry Fritsch's inventory and auction it off their site. That would be enough to get it launched.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Ebay pulls a charity auction, but yet suspended users return over and over, tell you they see nothing wrong with a seller cashing your check and not sending an item, have no warm body to direct comments too..... I can go on and on. This is what happens when you have a monopoly, which I thought was illegal. If you cant have a Microsoft, then why can you have an Ebay???
  • Options
    ebay is not a monopoly.
    You can buy vitually anything sold on ebay someplace else.

• Options
    I disagree, ebay has too strong a hold as a auction site.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    in its competitive space e-bay is a gigantic monopoly. paypal and e-bay are running sh$t like diarrhea.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    By the governments definition, ebay IS a monopoly. Microsoft was no where near the monopoly that ebay is, but they got reamed by the feds. Ebay needs to take a little just to know what it feels like.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Relax. Ebay will go the way of AOL. Their success will go to their heads, fees will rise to the absurd, alternatives will take hold, and people will joke that Ebay is for newbies. Eventually some big company will merge with Ebay, then dump the Ebay name a few years later after they realize that the Ebay name is holding them back.

What will take the place of Ebay is a large number of "Baby Bays", devoted to specific item categories. There will be a major auction site for sportscards and memorabilia, one for cars, one for coins, etc.

Just as we mock sellers who sell beanie babies and then all-of-the-sudden one day have a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 10 for sale, such is the reason why Ebay can't possibly be all things to all categories.