Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bobby Gordon Helmet

I don't think this has been posted yet. I'm not a racing fan but this is the helmet he threw at another driver (as seen on ESPN):

Link

You are bidding on the actual helmet worn by Robby Gordon during the Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire International Speedway on September 18, 2005.

Robby Gordon’s Helmet to Assist Hurricane Katrina Victims

EBay auction established to further assist the Harrah’s Employee Relief Fund

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (September 20, 2005) – Making some good from a tough situation, Robby Gordon on Tuesday pledged to further assist the Harrah’s Employee Relief Fund, which was established following Hurricane Katrina’s devastation of Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana, by auctioning off his race helmet used in Sunday’s event at New Hampshire International Speedway.

Gordon and his helmet gained national attention when it was thrown at the car of Michael Waltrip in a sign of obvious frustration after Waltrip wrecked the No. 7 car driven by Gordon under caution.

“What happened Sunday is unfortunate, and I’m sorry for losing my temper following the race, but after a day or two of looking back at the race it’s easy to realize that it’s just not that big of a deal compared with what the people of the Gulf Coast are still going through.

“People started asking me almost immediately after the race if they could have my helmet, and rather than just giving it away we’ll use it to raise more money for the Harrah’s Employee Relief Fund. Obviously I’m still angry about getting wrecked intentionally, but at the end of the day I still have a house to go home to which is a lot more than a lot of people can say.”

Following Hurricane Katrina, Gordon made an initial contribution of $20,000 to the Fund, and will raise additional monies through a $7 a lap pledge for the remainder of the season, and will also contribute 10 percent from the sale of Harrah’s racing merchandise and collectibles at the team’s web site – robbygordon.com – and at its track-side souvenir trailer.
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments