Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Duplicate pops

Dont'cha just hate it when your low pop monster gets pop inflated from coins going to NGC and back again? I have three of those right now - the 1860 and 1868 seated dollars in MS66 and the 1878-S trade dollar in MS67. Each has one more pop than it should because of temporary trips across the street by former owners.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS pops. For instance - the 1878-S: it's on the pop reports as PCGS MS67, NGC MS68 and PCGS MS68. I even have an auction catalog with the coin pictured in the PCGS MS67 holder and the cert number is still active!
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Bruce,

As long as you and I know there is no other coin, it's okay.

The Eliasberg 1892-micro o is still listed at NGC as the only 68, and Duckor's PCGS 65 is still at NGC as a 65.

The 1806 inverted 6 in PCGS 64 is listed as a pop 2, but the additional tab is known. So it is a pop 1.

You will have to start writing some " Breen" authentication letters when you sell your beauties.

dale
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    Excellent point!

I agree with this, and IMHO feel that "institutional knowledge" on "top pop coins" should be memorialized and updated for the collector community.

Perhaps an area for PCGS or others to work on.

BBpM
  • Options
    That's nothing !!! When I was collecting 1877-dated proof gold, I watched the pops explode. In 1995, the PCGS pop for the $20 was 1/0 in PR64. By 2000 it was 10/0. At the same time, the NGC pop in PF64 went from 1/0 to: 7/0 for PF64CAM, plus 1/0 for Trompeter Cameo PF64, plus 1/0 for UCAM PF64.

Thus, between the two services, the pop in Proof-64 went from 2/0 to 19/0 in five years. What was really happening? Two specimens, the Ullmer-Bass coin, and the Garrett-Trompeter coin, were being tried over and over by their new owners (the latter was being resubmitted by Heritage, the former by just about everyone else). Mind you, this a coin with an original mintage of 20. Two specimens are impounded (Smithsonian and ANS), and at least one is impaired. I believe no more than 4-5 others are known to exist, based on my extensive research for this date.

Epilogue: I bought the Garrett-Trompeter coin as NGC UCAM PF64. When i bought it, it had already been tried about 8-10 times for a 65. Right after I sold the set, it was NCS'd by Spectrum, and promptly put into an NGC PF65 UCAM holder, pop 1/0. Ouch !!! The set (with multiple NCS'd upgrades) was then sold to "THE FUND" (i.e. Rare Coin Alliance, buying on behalf of the failed Ohio Worker's Compensation Fund deal). Ugh.

Sunnywood