Home Metal Detecting

OLD WHITE'S DETECTORS

There is a White's booth down at the state fair wher the guy is giving "great" deals on "discontinued" models in the white's line. He opened the mox of one ( I wish I could remember the model) that had an elaborate display, but it was an analog dial display, not a liquid crystal like all of their current models.

What do you guys think of these older high end whites detectors. I am a bit leery about buying any "great" deals at the fair, but it would be cool to get an upgrade from my prizm 3 to a more serious model.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used an old White's TR Discriminator, back in 1981. My second detector. It was my first "real" detector.

It was a good machine but I wouldn't go back to using one of the old dinosaurs if I had a modern detector.

It really depends on how old a machine you are talking about. I believe White's used analog displays far longer than the other manufacturers? It might not be that old. At least not like my old 1981-era machine.

I doubt many of the older models are gonna compete with your Prizm.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I to was thinking about buying an older White's machine. I forgot it's name, but I know it was one of their first waterproof detectors. It wasen't going to be an upgrade from my Prizm III, just something to use on cruises when I snorkle. Also I'm interested in geting a scuba diving certification. My Prizm by far tops it. I just wanted to buy a low cost waterproof detector. But I do have to say there are some older White's models that beat some of todays detectors. Don't look for LCD display only. That's what I did, and I realy wish I hadn't. Not that I prefer some models without it over my prizm, but I looked down on them, but others that I know who have them find more than I do sometimes. Now I treat them equally. Before you buy one of those old models look here on Whiteselectronics.com. There's a manual on every White's detector ever made on this part of the site. NOTE: you need acrobat reader installed on your computer to view them.
    It should help you on deciding.
    Happy Hunting!image

• << <i>I used an old White's TR Discriminator, back in 1981. My second detector. It was my first "real" detector.

It was a good machine but I wouldn't go back to using one of the old dinosaurs if I had a modern detector.

It really depends on how old a machine you are talking about. I believe White's used analog displays far longer than the other manufacturers? It might not be that old. At least not like my old 1981-era machine.

I doubt many of the older models are gonna compete with your Prizm. >>

Ha ! My Whites is older than that . 1971, It's a 5000-D
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

• << <i>

<< <i> I doubt many of the older models are gonna compete with your Prizm. >>

Ha ! My Whites is older than that . 1971, It's a 5000-D >>

Wow. I lusted after the 5000-D when i was young. I bought a 1973 Coinmaster 2 that I loved, but it's junk now...
  • i've owned many whites detectors: liberty 2, 6000 DiPro, eagle2, XLT, DFX, classic IDX, surfmaster PI. the 6000 was probably one of my favorite ones of all time. no digital screen, just a needle going left to right. with a sound amplifier, i dug some pretty deep stuff.
  • I've heard a lot of good things about the 6000 (not from just Demodigger but he was one that told me how it was a great machine). Others I have spoke with said it's one that if you ever own it, you don't want to get rid of it... Was the 6000pro one of the ones available at the booth?
  • BTW: If youbuy an older White's detector, take caution to not put the batteries in the wrong way. The owner of the White's dealership was telling me that one of the older detectors (He didn't have the name at the top of his mind, to take caution anyway) would have a tendancy to get screwed up and break if you made that mistake. And sometimes it's not repairable. Forget about finding someone to repair it too, They probably no longer make some of the pieces for it anymore.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the late 60's I bought my first detector.A whites fireball,just a needle and sound.
    I think it held about 16 batteriesimage.And it worked great.
    Al
  • I started with the Classic III. Found some decent finds with it but never really gave it a chance.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage