Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cherrypickers Guide update in Coin World

Any of you read the Guest Commentary from JT? It appears he had Colon Cancer and then got addicted to the pain pills and was in rehab. Says Vol. II will be available about the time of the FUN show in early Jan.

Greg

Comments

• I won't hold my breath but I will cross my fingers!
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I just got my CW today. Sounds like JT's had a rough year.

At least he is back on the project and available. I am looking forward to getting Vol. 2 someday.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow.......colon cancer. I hate to hear that, I hope he is okay now. But, someone in his family or organization should have been able to put some sort of update somewhere on the web. I too, look forward to the rest of the guidebook.
    imageimage

• Colon cancer--bummer! Been there, done that. Hope he comes out as well as I did.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT. I know a bunch of members are heading to FUN, someone please let the forum know if J.T. is in attendance, with or without the book, or if you hear any more updates and/or rumors.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

• << <i>Any of you read the Guest Commentary from JT? It appears he had Colon Cancer and then got addicted to the pain pills and was in rehab. Says Vol. II will be available about the time of the FUN show in early Jan.

Greg >>

Went to a local coin show(Virginia Beach, VA) a few month ago. One of the dealers told me the same story, cancer, addition. Said he knows him well and the book will be finished. Sorry I don't recall the dealers name.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Just the title of this thread got me excited, anxious as I am to finally get it. But as usual, same ol same ol. That's a good suggestion, Sean. And if anyone does get to talk to him, try to remember details about the conversation. Write some notes after the fact, and let us know, be like a reporter. Of course, maybe he'll have it.

These reports remind me of the folks who see UFO's, but never ever have a camera of any kind to record the event. Thus no one holds them to their story, and no one is holding JT to his story. I don't put any faith in second and third hand reports regarding this, and we shouldn't be satisfied with those. Can't think of anyone who has so successfully remained incommunicadoimage
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Howard Hughes comes to mind. Andy
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I will be at FUN.
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    Latest from the author's website: Feb. '05???

The Cherrypickers’ Guide has been divided into two volumes for the Fourth Edition. Volume One, available now contains varieties for half cents through nickels. All are minor coinage denominations. Volume Two will contain varieties for half dimes through dollars, gold and commems. Volume Two has been delayed due to a lengthy health problem on the part of J. T. Stanton, the primary editor for the books. However, since J. T. is feeling much better, Volume Two is now expected to be released in February of 2005. It is assured that Volume Two will be the best book ever with the title of The Cherrypickers’ Guide.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read a little more closely-now it seems that Vol 2 has turned into Vol 2 AND Vol 3. I just want the book-regardless of how many volumes.

<< <i>These reports remind me of the folks who see UFO's, but never ever have a camera of any kind to record the event. Thus no one holds them to their story, and no one is holding JT to his story. I don't put any faith in second and third hand reports regarding this, and we shouldn't be satisfied with those. Can't think of anyone who has so successfully remained incommunicado. >>

If you go back to the post that started this thread, J.T. authored a Guest Commentary in Coin World back in late August in which he detailed his various health problems and subsequent addictions. That admission confirmed what many people had known or suspected for years. I'm pretty certain several of the error/variety dealers I deal with knew of J.T.s situation, but none would say more to me, other than that he was "dealing with some serious personal issues." If you won't accept J.T.s first-hand account, or the second-and third-hand accounts of those who knew him, I don't know how to ever convince you.

I'm as frustrated with the lack of progress on the second book as anyone, but eventually I came to put a human face on the situation. To be honest, most of the time I didn't get the sense that people who knew of J.T.s circumstances thought he would be able to rebound. While I tried to remain hopeful that Volume 2 would someday be published, I'd written off my $35 years ago. It concerns me now that J.T. has slipped out of sight again since the CW article. At this point, my foremost concern is with the status of the man, not the book.

I'm really hoping that someone at FUN will have some good news to report.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    I'm really hoping that someone at FUN will have some good news to report.

I was hoping it would be available at FUN, but the author says "Two is now expected to be released in February of 2005".
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Hey you guys........February 2005 was 10 months ago.

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone can win the prize for the prediction date now. Just looked, the last date predicted was 11/12/05 over 2 years ago.
    Hey you guys........February 2005 was 10 months ago.

• So Sean, you, and others, have known or suspected what the problem was for years? Those who have expressed frustrations many times here, with the suspicion that someone who knew what was going on just wasn't coming forth, aren't going to be placated by that, if that was your intent.

I've dealt professionally for thirty years with people who have similar health problems, and who deal with that and continue to meet their obligations. And with people with drug addictions. They deal with it, and continue to work, and yes, I mean opiate addictions. Sorry, your offering of an excuse doesn't cut it. He's no different than anyone else with similar problems who continue to live life and meet their obligations. Well, he is different, in that he has everyone's money, doesn't he?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

Since I was hearing about him third-hand, I never felt it was my place to post what were at the time were unsubstantiated rumors to a public messge board. I'm not out to apologize for or justify his actions, just to provide context.

I replied to other points in your post privately.

Sean Reynolds

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I paid for that book outright back in august of 2003, now dont get me wrong, I have nothing against JT and hope hes feeling 100%, but I know theres no way theres a record of who paid, and I doubt ill see my money or book image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file