Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: I'm sending this WILDLY WORN Lincoln Cent to PCGS. What will they do?

seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
First time submitted, grade posted December 28, bodybagged for "damage".

With apologies to Russ....

I'll post my opinion after I read some of yours.

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    This thread is a ripoff.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Where did you find that beauty?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>This thread is a ripoff.

Russ, NCNE >>

Think of it as more of an homage.... image Besides, I already said 'with apologies,' what more do you want, royalties?

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    P-01

Neo...
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    p01
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FR02

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    P01

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what more do you want, royalties? >>

That would be nice. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    FR02- nicely worn but can still make out the date and mm too easily.

Just my opinion.........could be blinded by all these weirdly toned coins that I am going through.....
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I think PO2, jmo

Ray
  • Options
    Laugh uncontrolably?
  • Options
    What will PCGS do?
    They'll take your money.
    Will they slab the cent? I don't know.
    It looks like a pocket piece. Doesn't look like circulation wear.

Ray
  • Options
    If it does grade......Braddick will be interested in it.

PURPLE!
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P01
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair 02. The coin is still easily identifiable and has wear typical of the grade.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FR02
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    You won't get the PO-01 grade. PCGS is too tough on low grade coins, too. image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    fr-02 if you want a poor-01 grade you got to keep it in your pocket another few years or so
  • Options
    Bumping this for the nighttime crew, and also to post a few replies.

Steve27: Where did you find that beauty?

Where else but eBay. It came in a small bulk lot that included a clipped 1959 dime, so it popped up in one of my searches. I made the seller a reasonable offer to close early, saying only that "I was very interested in one coin in that group." image

lathmach: It looks like a pocket piece. Doesn't look like circulation wear.

At first I thought it was a washing machine coin, but usually those are also reduced in diameter as well. I doubt any memorial cent could wear to this level in circulation, so I assume as you do that it must have been someone's pocket piece.

Purple73: If it does grade......Braddick will be interested in it.

He was the first person I wrote when I found it, even before I knew I won the auction. All I'll say beyond that is that he's a terrible influence on me. image

jcping: You won't get the PO-01 grade. PCGS is too tough on low grade coins, too.

Bell curves are a terrible thing. image

michael: fr-02 if you want a poor-01 grade you got to keep it in your pocket another few years or so

Fr-02 seems to be winning so far. I can't imagine how much more this coin could take before the date becomes illegible.

I'll let the night folks vote them come back with my opinion.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    PO-1
  • Options
    Mailing this coin off today, submission #3349821, for those who want to play along.

I never did say what I thought PCGS would do with it. I'm 50/50 between Fair-2 and a bodybag, neither outcome will surprise me. I did notice when I was packing the coin up last night that the diameter does seem to be reduced slightly, which makes me believe the coin was altered or artificially circulated.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    I think the fingerprint on reverse lowers the value quite a bit.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Ng- looks too "clean" to be such a low grade. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice looking FR02 Memorial. Truly a rare find!!!! I don't recall seeing a memorial worn down like that. Plenty of wheats, tho.
    Doug
  • Options
    How much do you think that thing would go for in PO-1?
  • Options

<< <i>How much do you think that thing would go for in PO-1? >>

I know exactly how much it would go for. image All I will say is, I bet it's a lot more than you might think.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    Looks like artifical wear... I'd guess bodybag.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that sucker might just have a shot at PO01!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    02 all the way!
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Here's a PCGS G04 for comparison. If yours grades, I'd sure be interested as a downgrade for this one.......

Here's an AG3 for comparison (wheatie but close enough):

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    Results posted tonite, this coin was bagged for "Damage". If any of the Forum low-grade experts wants to see it in person when it gets back, I'll be happy to send it along, maybe it's worth another shot...?

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it will get body bagged. It should get graded since the wear looks natural, there is just a lot of it.

There are a bunch of collectors trying to build sets of the worst possible gradable coins. This might actually be worth something. At least 3 or 4 cents in a slab.image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like a pocket piece. Doesn't look like circulation wear.

Ray >>

What's the difference? Isn't most circulation wear from carrying coins in peoples pockets?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F02.

Looks a lot like a grease filled die error.image
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    What will they do?
    They will thank you for wasting your money not once, but twice.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file