Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I'M AT A CROSSROAD RIGHT NOW. NEED SOME ADVICE.

I have been working pretty hard on my Lincoln Circ. Strike set (09-58) for the past several months and I have enjoyed pursuing these coins more than any other set that I have put together. This set, combined with my Memorial Circ. Strike Set, has allowed me to register and take part in the much longer, newer 1909-Current Circ. Strike Set!

The first PCGS registry set that I ever completed was the Lincoln Proofs Basic Set 1959-Current. I have recently been contemplating selling off these proofs individually so that I can free up some additional funds for my circ. strike sets.

Can anyone think of a reason as to why I SHOULD NOT sell off these proofs and hang on to them? I am quickly moving towards letting em go....but I just want to make sure that I don't make a BIG MISTAKE by doing so. I'd love to hear some pros and cons...if there are any???

Comments

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Bigger sets are better sets.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think every collector should sell a few coins/sets just so they see that side of the game as well.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Ellewood - How much do you think (in $ ) you could get for your Proof 59 - date set ? What could you buy with that money for an 09 - 58 set ? I think you should keep your 59 - date proof set....

Stewart
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stewarts point is right on the money (no pun intended). You need to figure out just what you think you will get for selling the proofs and just what you will have to work with to buy early Lincolns. Most folks will agree that you should buy the key coins first. But when it comes to early Lincolns, most are more in value than most of the proofs.
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Ellwood, after looking at your sets my gut feeling is don't do it. That is a nice proof set. It would be hard to get some of those proofs again in 69 DCAM at a later date.

You still need a lot of Early Lincolns. It’s a large set to accomplish. It can feel unreachable. May I suggest you set a collection grade standard and not spend money on coins below that standard just to fill a hole. This will keep you from looking at every coin you need and only look at those you will accept. It will not seem so over whelming. You need to just focus on finding those coins. Soon the set will start to grow. In fact, PM me your address and I will help it grow by one more coin.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your input!

How much do you think (in $ ) you could get for your Proof 59 - date set ?

To answer Stewart's question, I'm thinking somewhere in the range of $900-$1500...depending mostly on what the 72-S brings. I know it's not a lot of money to some folks around here...but it sure is to me...especially since my first child is due to arrive on the 27th of this month and my ability (whether I like it or not) to spend money on lincolns will most definitely change. image

What I am really concentrating on now is finishing back thru 1934 in MS66 and some MS65 (if the coin is a $200+ coin). I realize that I may not be able to buy an uncirc. 1909-S VDB with this money....but I have my whole life to build this set from 1934 back thru 1909.

I dunno. Now the trick is going to be how the spend money on lincolns and not feel guilty about it cause I'm not putting that money towards my child's college fund!!!! I would say I'll just tell myself that I'm "investing" in the coins....but I don't think "investing" and "lincolns" can be used in the same sentence (unless you own some of what Stewarts got).

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ellewood: lets discuss some pros and cons.

(1) If your proof set gives you pleasure, as Stew said, why sell it just to raise funds for your circulated set. Are you in a hurry? TDN also makes a good point for you to see the other side of the hobby to see what your proof set generates but then again you could just as well sell just one or two easily replaceable proof coin just to get an idea before selling the whole proof set.

(2) Watersport made a very valid point that I have also long subscribed to which is to buy the keys first. The problem is you need a learning curve to learn from your grading and buying mistakes on the inexpensive circulated coins before doing battle with the key dates. You think Stew and TDN started out buying the most expensive coins in their sets before they got a feel of the grading nuances of their respective sets? I am sure they didn't. Everyone needs to start somewhere.
    (a) What the heck is wrong with a 1941-1958 lincoln set? It sure isn't anything to be ashamed of. Then as you build things up over time, you can expand your set to include 1934-1940. Then add 1927 to 1933. This was the old time honored way to building sets.
    (b)On earlier dates spread your wings slowly by getting just one date from each decade. Then eventually get one of each mm in each decade, then later on one date of each year.

(3) You have gotten good advice here from the other posters. I do not mean to counter them but it is more important to have a base from which you began and not going off selling every time you want to branch out.

(4) A few months????????????? My friend, to do these right, it takes YEARS!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Ellewood

Why not keep your 59 - date proof set. JUST CONTINUE TO COLLECT THE PROOFS
    There are only 26 or so coins.I truly believe gem Proof Lincolns are undervalued.Especially the matte proofs.Then do a set of double die errors.There are about 15 major double dies.You may even be able to cherry pick some of them.

Stewart
  • Options
    Agreed with Stew as well on his second post; why stop at 1959?
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i was goinn to post to this and say the same thing as stewart

keep your lincoln proofs intact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are like liquid gold and have tremendous eye appeal

work only on a complete proof set

the matte proofs are a great way to start on rb or bn but wonderfully colored and/or if so close to red in a rb holder and offer great opportunity and value! also work on the 36-42 set again in rb or bn but wonderfully colored and/or if so close to red in a rb holder!!

i think this set will grow synergistically if you do this and forgo the circ set matte and brilliant proofs are where its at

the key here is only buy these opportunity value matte proof and 36-42 coins as per the above but with tremendous eye appeal!

good luck in what you choose to do and i hope you make all the right choices for yourself and your family!

• Options
    I lose!image
  • Options
    Toby,
    I really was surprised when I read your thread. I,too,was very recently thinking about liquidating all my
    proof sets so I could concentrate strictly on Lincoln business strikes. My memorials are strong but the empty wheatie spots just seem to bug me. After reading the replies,I've decided to keep the proofs and
    look at the wheaties as a long term project.

Congratulations on the soon to be new addition to the Leach family. As much as you love your Lincolns,
    you're going to love something else so much more. I'm happy for you!

RegistryNut
  • Options
    To all those that posted here...I just want to thank you. You have all given me bits and pieces of great advice and you prevented me from making a very impulsive decision that I would have most likely regretted. Although I am going to continue concentrating on my lincoln circ. strikes at this time, I have decided to hold on to my proof registry set and maybe, if the opportunity arises, upgrade a proof or two in the coming years. It sure is nice to be able to rely on some of the "veterans" around here to bring the newer collectors back to planet earth.

I KEEP HAVING TO REMIND MYSELF THAT I CANNOT HAVE ALL THE COINS THAT I WANT RIGHT NOW. BUILDING THESE SETS TAKES A GREAT DEAL OF TIME...AND AS OREVILLE SAID EARLIER "IT TAKES YEARS".

Hope you all have a great weekend....

Toby

P.S. I voted against the insertion of the three SMS coins to the proof registry set BUT I GUESS I LOST HUH?
  • Options
    ELLEWOOD: <<<<<<<<<To answer Stewart's question, I'm thinking somewhere in the range of $900-$1500...depending mostly on what the 72-S brings. I know it's not a lot of money to some folks around here...but it sure is to me...especially since my first child is due to arrive on the 27th of this month and my ability (whether I like it or not) to spend money on lincolns will most definitely change.

Congratulations are in order and never let your coin collection compete with your upcoming baby! Of course when they become teens and spend like there is no tomorrow then you might re-evaluate!!!!

I have had mine for 20 years and you are in for the ride of your life!!

Never a image only image !!!

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Toby, you've gotten great advice here and I'm glad you have decided not to sell your wonderful memorial proofs. When it is the right time for you, I hope you go after the 26 wheat proofs. The 1937 thru 1958 are available at reasonable prices considering their mintages. The 11 coins you need for 1909 thru 1936 will be tough to find in nice condition. When you get them all you will feel a sense of pride. Having all the Lincoln proofs then will make you real happy IMHO. Good luck. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>Ellewood

There are only 26 or so coins.I truly believe gem Proof Lincolns are undervalued.Especially the matte proofs.Then do a set of double die errors.There are about 15 major double dies.You may even be able to cherry pick some of them.

Stewart >>

I can't believe the excellant advise offered by everyone here. In terms of the college fund, historically the double dies and overdates of any series generally far outperform the other examples. Collecting a top complete 1909-present circ. set is next to impossible and takes years--the proofs and DD's are not only more easily done, they probably are better long term 20 year type investments. Nice coins pictured-image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    I have always felt that I should share not just the information in these forums, but the spirit of collecting. I know a lot of you senior and achieved Lincoln Collectors have extra Lincolns either slab or raw collecting dust somewhere. I know I do. From time to time I make an upgrade or rediscover a forgotten specimen. So let me be the first to send Toby a coin he needs for his collection. No it’s not a 09 SVDB, but what the heck, he needs a 1927, and I DON"T, so he now has one. Screw the price guides and values and investment stuff. I think it’s more valuable to invest in some collectors stalled or struggling collection than get $20 by selling it on EBay. Believe me, its a lot more rewarding! So go search those boxes, drawers, and folders and send him a coin! You will be glad you did and so will he. In fact he will ALWAYS remember those coins given to him by “fellow collectors” than the ones he buys off of EBay or from some faceless Bourse dealer.

WS
  • Options
  • Options
    WaterSport is a very sincere man. He also donated a coin for one of my sets. I will always remember
    how I aquired it and we have a deal that if I upgrade this coin,I will donate it to another set. Thanks
    again Bob!

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ellewood

Stewart >>

I couldn't agree more!

Likewise, it's what I do while I'm waiting on the big ones to roll around. By a $20-$35 roll of proofs and go through them looking for doubled dies. You will be surprised at what you might find. Look for the business strike reverse on the proof. There are many ways to expand and enjoy Lincoln Proofs that don't cost an arm and a leg. There are also some great values in brown and red-brown matte proofs.
    Doug