Home Metal Detecting
Options

What kind of camera do you use?

I am going to buy a camera very soon because I am embarrasses with my poopy pictures. I know very little about cameras and I was hoping to get a list to compare. What camera do YOU use? Or, what camera would you LIKE to have? I figure this will give me a good sampling to investigate and compare.

LodiTom -- << I use a Sony Cyber shot 4.1 MP. >>

JLeland -- << I use a Nikon 7600. >>

Thanks, you guys. Any others?
Dennis
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    I Use a Nikon CoolPix 3200. Cheap camera and gives good images!

If ya click the Circle of crust link you will see one of my halfdimes with the camera.

PURPLE!
  • Options
    I use an older Sony Mavica MVC-81
    It uses a floppy disk for storing images. It takes good close up photos.

I picked up a second Sony at a pawn shop. It can be worth a check.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    I use a Sony DSC F-505V CyberShot... I bought it off eBay.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sony Mavica.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I use an old Nikon Coolpix 2000 that was a store display model.

imageimage
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I use a kodak 7440.
    I got it cause of its great reviews, decent price and good closeup abilities.
    Photo printing, large LCD and zoom lens are nice too.
    Link
    As a side note, I use a scanner for most coin pics.
    I found that a scanner is far and away the better instrument for clear close up coin pics - And they cost next to nothing.
    You can usually get a top of the line name brand scanner for well under $100 - So if you got the bucks, get both.
    JJ
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I use a cheapo Canon PowerShot A520.
    It has the features I need to take coin pictures (macro mode, manual white balance setting).
    I feel it eats the batteries quite quickly, but with rechargeable batteries that's not much of a problem.
    When taking coin pictures I use a small tripod.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Ricoh RDC5000. 8 years old and only 2.3meg, but still works ok. Also have a 30 year old Cannon AE-1 that hasn't seen daylight since I went digital.
    What I would like is a digital that takes pics as nice as the old AE-1.
  • Options
    I use a Canon Powershot G6.

Very nice camera, and I am very pleased with it.
  • Options
    Thank you very much, you guys. I will start to do a little research. I have a lot of traveling coming up at the end of September and all through October and the very first part of November.

I would love to have a new camera for the last trip because I am taking my wife to three fun-filled days and two nights of seduction at The Silver Legacy in Reno, Nevada. I have booked the Superior Spa King Suite for our 16th anniversary.

Not that I would use the camera in the suite, but we plan on doing more during the day that feeding silver dollars into a hungry machine.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will check them out.
    Your friend,
    Dennis
    imageimage
  • Options
    Happy Anniversary Dennis, have a great time, and try to get over to Tahoe as well.
    For the world to know the truth
    There can be no greater proof
    Than to live the life, live the life
    There's no love that's quite as pure
    There's no pain we can't endure
    If we live the life, live the life
    Be a light for all to see
    For every act of love will set you free
    -M.W. Smith

• Options
    I have a Sony Cybershot F828 8 megapixel (Price $1000.00 and not pocket sized by any means, but great pics).........but for a more simplistic point and shoot pocket sized camera I have the Canon SD400. Probably one of the fastest digicams on the market with the Digic II processor, and takes nice pics. Thats the camera I take in the field with me when detecting since it's so small.. You can get one at Costco now for $350.00

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    Oh...the Canon SD400 is a 5 megapixel by the way.

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    when displaying(or trying to display) my finds I use a scanner instead. I've just got to find out how to make the pictures small enough to post here.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Canon A75 - given to me for fathers day last year and I use it at least once a week.

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the additional suggestions. I just got back from Crescent City last night. Crescent City is 400 miles north of me. Sunday, I will be going to Phoenix, AZ. I will be there until about the 12th. Then I will go to Crescent City again for a few days. Then off to The Silver Legacy. I can’t wait for this last trip.
    Your friend,
    Dennis D. Moncrief
    imageimage
  • Options
    i have an olympus 3020 (they are all good)....my uncle won it in a raffle 5 or 6 years ago and gave it to me for $100.00....i brought it home, stuck in in the drawer, and forgot about it for a few years....yada, yada, yada....after years of using a wally world disposable, i found this digital to be a really nice camera.....easy to use,takes great pics, and i can shoot short videos,that when played back, look like those old 8mm films....cool, because it reminds me of my grandfather....the only problem is i can't buy a new vid/pic card..... the dude at my local camera shop says" they don't make those anymore"...????.....and that i "should update my camera".......yeah right!....it's seems , at least to me, that these new cams are like computers....buy it , take it home, and it's outdated!....hee hee hee..... i will check around and find a back-up card for my camera, and take great pics for years to come..... maybe i'll think about updating my camera in 2030 or so......anywho!....i would buy a couple extra cards, or chips, or whatever is used these days, to store the pics in the new cameras...... so the dude at the camera store does'nt say to you "they don't make those anymore"....hope to see some finds posted with your new cam...go get em
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I’m finally through with my journey to Mesa, AZ and Crescent City, CA and took my brother to Best Buy to look at cameras. I didn’t choose one because he was blabbing on about Cannon being good studio cameras and how Kodak races through batteries.

I liked one of the Kodaks I looked at because it sported a 12X zoom. Pretty neat. I really like the Nikon SLR cameras because I can use the lenses I bought for my Pentax, but they are between $1000.00 and $1,900.00 bucks. Ouch!

The search goes on …
    imageimage
  • Options
    Canon G2 Powershot 4.0 MP
  • Options
    Desert Rat,
    Do you ever feel that 4 mega pixels are limiting in some way where 8 would be better? I would also like to use the camera for family photos. Do you find that the Cannon is slow to react to light and motion? I guess I am looking for a camera that is good for everything.
    Dennis
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I'd say you don't need more than 4 megapixels unless you want to make very large (poster type) prints.

For normal family use 4 MP is certainly enough. The other features of the camera start to get more important than the number of pixels at those levels. It they are not on the same level, the number of pixels is only of academic interest. For example, megapixels won't help if the lens produces a blurry or distorted image, or if the exposure or color balance are off, but picture quality will be visibly worse - and as opposed to resolution-related differences, these things can be seen already on normal sized prints. There are also differences in the color depth/accuracy being captured that are more important. These are the areas where professional digital cameras mainly outperform consumer ones rather than in the number of pixels. But of course these things are more complicated to explain to consumers, so the "it has more pixels so the picture is sharper" is a simpler sales pitch..

Also, if you're tempted to shoot pictures at full resolution for maximum quality, you'll also find yourself spending more on memory cards to have capacity for a decent number of pictures. My camera is 4 MP, and I also use it for non-MD purposes. I rarely even shoot pictures at full resolution as I don't want to store and transfer (e.g. e-mail) all those multi-megabyte images when a slightly lower resolution is more than enough. (Don't take my posts on this board as an example though, those pictures are further shrunk to meet the size requirement of 50 kb).

If you want to take closeups of MD finds, make sure you have the features you need for this (mainly macro mode and manual white balance setting). I'd think most new cameras have these though.

--
    Edited to add some specifics
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro