Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone Else Check Craigslist For Coins or Collectibles?

Does anyone else check out craigslist in their area for coins?

Anyone have any success stories?

I check it out once in awhile looking for that "deal of a lifetime" but its pretty slim pickens.

Heres one I found today...I passed on it but if anyone is interested in it I'll give them a call for ya...image

craigslist

Comments

• Options
    CapstickCapstick Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    I do. Haven't had any good luck finding anything. But I keep looking ...
  • Options
    I tried once, and sent an email. No reply. oh well...
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    don't waste your time with it nothing there.....
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do once in a blue moon. I did wind up in touch with an interesting dealer that way. Sort of a junk guy -- the go-to man if you wind up with key dates & better coins with problems as part of a larger lot you buy. Worth knowing...

I was in touch with a lady who had a 1915 $2.50 that she didn't know how to grade & couldn't take a picture of, who said she'd sell it for $120 as-is. Might have been a score; I don't know. I passed. Could have been ex-jewelry, F12, MS66, or anything between.

I've floated some coins for sale there too, fairly priced mid-range collector stuff just like I've sold here on BST, with no takers at all.

Mostly seems like it isn't worth the bother.

mirabela
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been relatively successful buying coins from CL. The key is to post your own ads around the end of the month or during major holidays. I've bought quite a bit of 90% silver coins; two Mexican 50 peso gold coins, a couple of slabbed double eagles, and other misc 19th century half dimes, v nickels. It also helps if you're in a major metropolitan locationimage

addendum: CL is also a great source of cheap brand name PCs. I bought a Dell PIII fully loaded including a 17 inch monitor, printer, and had the guy installed a 56K internal modem, all for $100.
  • Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I have had success finding new collectors and things to buy on Craigs, It's fun.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    I look on CL once in a while, but never find anything very interesting. At least so far.

• Options
    jhusmanjhusman Posts: 1,082
    I buy a ton of 90% there, and I have bought some gold as well, always at a good price for me and for the seller. I pay a little more than local guys do, and I pay a little less than I would if I went there to buy. No spectacular finds in the bulk silver yet, but I am hoping. I recently got a response to an ad of mine and bought 5 rolls of quarters (3 Washington and 2 SL) for $70 each - his asking price.

I have tried to sell there, but have no luck - I always get people lowballing me. I put up an anniversary ASE set (that I tried to sell here as well) for $375, and got a bunch of people offering me $300 and $250.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Never used it. I've heard of Craigs List, but I am not sure exactly what it is.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Just go to here and pick your city. You'll see all types of different areas for ads.

• Options
    I've replied to a couple of coin ads and gotten no reply. For all other matter of bed frames, computers, tables, clocks, it has always been a fine experience.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I found some Morgan graded by NGC but they were over priced.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file