Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the best price guide?

I have heard that the Graysheet is out of touch with the market. Is this true and if so what are you using to price your buying and selling?
------------------------ Gary
ºoº coinhead1.
Never act dumber than you are period
imageimageimage
Meg Ryan Amanda Tapping Dana Delany

Comments

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a spinner that has increasing amounts (denominated in thousands) - when I see something I like, I give it a whirl...

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

<< <i>I have a spinner that has increasing amounts (denominated in thousands) - when I see something I like, I give it a whirl... >>

In some cases this seems so true......

PURPLE!
  • Options

<< <i>I have heard that the Graysheet is out of touch with the market. Is this true and if so what are you using to price your buying and selling? >>

eBay, Teletrade, Heritage searchs image

• Options
    Hi Gary!!

• Options

<< <i>Hi Gary!!

image >>

Hi Jonesy,

Now answer my question please!
    ºoº coinhead1.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I have heard that the Graysheet is out of touch with the market. Is this true and if so what are you using to price your buying and selling? >>

No single pricing/value source is even close to being extremely accurate on a uniform basis. If I could only use one, however, it would be the CDN ("Graysheet").
  • Options
    From what I have seen, the CDN ("Greysheet") is an excellent quick reference, and seems to be fairly accurate for heavily traded coins (i.e. Morgans, Walkers, Mercs, type gold). For more thinly traded coins, I cross check with past auctions results from Heritage and Teletrade. Also, there are certain grade categories (i.e. MS-66 Walkers) which are not in the Greysheet, so auction results are very helpful for those.
  • Options
    Any OTHER comments?
    ºoº coinhead1.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    The PCGS price guide. NOT! Heh, now that they have those red and green arrows have you noticed how much *MORE* inflated the prices are getting?
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    I'd stick with the greysheet. Nothing is perfect but this is the general price guide that most use.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin Prices minus 10-20%
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cornhusker has it right, greysheet for most items Heritage archives for items more rare.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Heritage and ANR auction archives.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CDN does a reasonably good job for what they list. The problem is that they don't list much.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>CDN does a reasonably good job for what they list. The problem is that they don't list much. >>

And what they do list, well, good luck finding it.
  • Options
    More comments?

OK, Jonesy's icon is abnormal, I'm sorry to see someone in such sad shape. It must be difficult to walk or ride in a car when you are like that.

Oh, about coin price guides? Coinguy1 said it best, Greysheet if you can only use one. Auction results help for rare coins.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>More comments?

OK, Jonesy's icon is abnormal, I'm sorry to see someone in such sad shape. It must be difficult to walk or ride in a car when you are like that.

Oh, about coin price guides? Coinguy1 said it best, Greysheet if you can only use one. Auction results help for rare coins. >>

It's been getting a lot of attention on the open forum but we don't think that's Jonesy. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    It's the rare seller who doesn't reference the Greysheet. It's the jumping off point for the lion's share of negotiating.
  • Options
    Just wanted to pass this info along. If you don't visit the OF, you probably don't know that Gary (coinhead1) passed away on Monday.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Thanx for posting his Avatar Jason. May he rest in Peace.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file