Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

CSA grading

Was/is this company legit?

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old red or white flip CSA cards I have cracked have been untrimmed and unaltered. Generally graded a grade or two higher than you could expect from PSA. Cards with PQ qualifier occasionally convert to same grade with PSA (i.e 7 PQ = PSA 7). PQ was premium quality. The CSA cards in the oversized Blue holders are genrally safe, but usually a grade higher (sometimes 2) than PSA. The newer CSA premium - Clear with subgrades are to be avoided at all costs. Think PRO.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    several old threads about this subject

thread 1

thread 2

thread 3
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi smallstocks

If you read the old threads, you will get an idea of the 'worth' of the company's grading.

This company is a "franchised-like" spin-off of the infamous Alan Hager ASA, AcuGrade or whatever - the guy has a bit of excess baggage that no one would bother to claim!

He, supposedly, trained the people who bought the Acu-Card holders. My experience with ASA? Stuff is anywhere from over-graded to worse - so why would one expect anything better from a protege?

I would be affraid to buy anything from them - even in the original flip - unless it came with a return guarantee from a reputable seller who picked it up in a bulk purchase e.g.

Just my take.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I bought a csa 9 rose 1966 from consignments. He seems to sell alot of this stuff. I got it in and promptly cracked it and off it went. I was hoping for an 8 as i thought it looked great and deff worthy. But it came back a 7.5 which considering the price wasn't bad. I don't have any other experiance with these but for the right price......???????
    Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought a csa 9 rose 1966 from consignments. He seems to sell alot of this stuff. I got it in and promptly cracked it and off it went. I was hoping for an 8 as i thought it looked great and deff worthy. But it came back a 7.5 which considering the price wasn't bad. I don't have any other experiance with these but for the right price......??????? >>

Scott
    That sounds great - who did you send it to? Got a scan? Did you scan it before sending it out/crackin it?
    And last, if you don't mind, how much did the card set you back?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The csa case is still pristine after cracking.....thats not good. But i was happy with the card.

Mike,

I am not 100% sure but i think the card set me back about 85.00

Scott

aloof1003@comcast.net
  • Options
    Sorry for the bad scan. i will try for a more detailed one later.
    Scott

aloof1003@comcast.net
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used CSA blue case for Jordan Star cards back in 2000. They were the only company at that time that graded star cards. I know the cards are ligit and they graded 2 8's and a 9. Lookiing at the cards I was sure I would recieve 3 9's. I dont know of anyone that grades Star cards any more but I thought the grades were tough. Again this was 5 years ago and have never had any dealings with them since.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    I got a T206 Cobb bat on shoulder CSA 3. I sent it in to SGC and it came back a 3 (40). Needless to say I was pleased! I saved about $200 buying it and crossing it over. I have heard horror stories though.
  • Options
    With all of the horror stories of GAI on this thread I think you are better off with csa than gai.
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>With all of the horror stories of GAI on this thread I think you are better off with csa than gai. >>

I thought GAI is a reputable grader and CSA has a bad reputation.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    A little crossover experiment of my own. I bought a 1955 Topps Lopat CSA 8 for $8 recently. It just crossed PSA 7. I will take that bargain. This was a new CSA holder, not an old one. I also crossed over a 1955 Topps Stewart graded 8 by GAI and it came back PSA 8 as well. Of course, both were cracked first before submitting.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    I've got a t-206 bresnahan csa 7.5....that I paid $400 for back in '99. every time this thread comes up, half the threads make me want to send it in, and the other half make me want to keep my head in the sand.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com