Options

Continental Dollar on ebay.

ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is this really worth that much?
Anyone know the seller?Ebay
Larry

Comments

• Options
    Yes it is probably worth that much but here we have an eBayer who has only been active since March, only has a feedback score of 36 with only about 6 of those as a seller. All of his sales have been for relatively low value items, the highest only $227. Suddenly he is selling a $60,000+ coin? Another interesting thing is that several of the items he has sold have been continental currency copies or "restrikes". I think I would stay far away.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The cheesy graphics and the blurb make me wary. Those in the know know how rare and valuable this piece would be if it were real. Why even have the blurb? Just tell us what the piece is. And how often is it that such significant pieces are moved through common e-bay auctions?
  • Options
    The seller is a member here.

imageimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller is a member here. >>

Is he in the circle of trust?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do $60,000 coins really sell on ebay? I doubt it.
  • Options
    Continental Dollar prices have exploded over the last few years either coincidentally or directly related to the publication of the '100 Greatest Coins' book in which they were included.

The coin now on ebay looks like a nice piece. Is it worth the starting price or even the BIN? I guess we'll find out if someone buys it.

• Options
    HCHC Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Sorry but I haven't been a regular on this site so my response is late. But considering that it is me that is getting shot at here I thought I would respond anyway.
    The Continental Dollar is mine and it is a PQ example of this great coin.
    I offered it on EBAY in order for it to get good exposure for the coin and for my store. Yes, I only have 46 feedbacks, but they are all 100% positive and it's because I have just recently begun the business under the Asset Alternatives name. I didn' really expect a stranger to buy it without checking my references. I have been a collector for many years and most major coin dealers know me and hold my business in high regard. I would provide references to any serious buyer.
    The comment about me selling replica and fake Continental dollars is way off. A closer look at the auctions would show that I was the buyer of the Bashlow and Centennial restrikes. I have assembled a collection of all of the Continental Dollar strikes.
    Anything else you didn't like? Thank you - Howard
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, there ya have it.

Nice coin. Way outta my league.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry but I haven't been a regular on this site so my response is late. But considering that it is me that is getting shot at here I thought I would respond anyway.
    The Continental Dollar is mine and it is a PQ example of this great coin.
    I offered it on EBAY in order for it to get good exposure for the coin and for my store. Yes, I only have 46 feedbacks, but they are all 100% positive and it's because I have just recently begun the business under the Asset Alternatives name. I didn' really expect a stranger to buy it without checking my references. I have been a collector for many years and most major coin dealers know me and hold my business in high regard. I would provide references to any serious buyer.
    The comment about me selling replica and fake Continental dollars is way off. A closer look at the auctions would show that I was the buyer of the Bashlow and Centennial restrikes. I have assembled a collection of all of the Continental Dollar strikes.
    Anything else you didn't like? Thank you - Howard >>

All good.

I hope that you will understand some of the suspicion here given the past bad behaviour on Ebay and the evidence at hand. I for one stand in awe.

Sometimes you can judge a book by it's cover.

Best of luck in what I hope is a lucrative experience on Ebay.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Continental Dollars and other related issues are certainly worth their current asking prices, the only hitch is that it's a high price with a slim market and resultant demand. i've resigned myself to owning a nice 1876 Restrike when i can find one and a decent Fugio cent when i'm ready to buy. i view them both as important "coins" with intriguing designs and truly American in nature. i have a White Metal 1961 restrike that i'll be returning to the seller this morning because it was misrepresented in the listing and the actual thickness is 2.74 mm. the medal itself is a beauty but it isn't the 1876 restrike. the search continues.........................
  • Options
    Keets - I have a 1876 White Metal Continental Dollar restrike in an NGC Holder MS61. It is quite nice. I agree that this is one of the more difficult variations to find because of the great number of restrikes. This is a double that I have and would offer it for $275. If you would like more info or image please contact me at assetalt@aol.com - Good luck - Howard Let me know either way as I was going to put it up in my store for auction.
  • Options
    By the way - I have relisted my original 1776 EG FECIT Continental Dollar (PCGS AU58) in my store in case anyone would be interested. Here is the link -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=8347083361&amp;rd=1&amp;sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&amp;rd=1

References and terms are available to serious buyers. Please inquire. Howard
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    I also have one SILVER 1961 Bashlow restrike of the Continental Dollar in an NGC MS65 PL Holder. I understand that the silver versions are fairly difficult to locate these days as compared to the others. It has been said that many were melted with the 1980 silver rise. I have seen this coin in MS65 and MS66 offered in the $1000 range. Wow, I know, but true.
    You would be challenged to find a nicer one than this one. I will offered it for $325. Please contact me offline at assetalt@aol.com for terms and images for those who may be interested. References are available. Howard
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humble Pie
    Step right up and get your slice!

Also serving crow!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file