Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1948 Topps magic Photo

Can anyone give me any info on this?

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    1949 Magic Photos (19)

R-714-27

This set was issued in 1949, when the second 126 card series of these 7/8" x 1 3/8" inch "photos" featuring mixed subjects were unleashed on an unsuspecting public by Topps. Historically significant--these are the first Topps baseball cards after all--the photos were actually blank until the purchaser applied moisture and sunlight. There are 19 baseball subjects mixed in with photos from all walks of entertainment and Cleveland players are especially prevalent due to the Indians taking the 1948 World Series from the Braves. In fact, the baseball photos include scenes from the World Series. A Hocus Focus photo album was also issued as a premium. Do not confuse this set with the two Hocus Focus sets issued in 1956. While not especially sought after, Magic Photos are not seen with any frequency, leading to inflated prices on the Hall of Fame players. When purchasing these cards, look for examples that are well developed, with sharp contrast between light and dark areas.

I took that from this web page.

check it out.CLIK

SD
    Good for you.
  • Thanks. If anyone has any idea on the pricing of say a Gehrig in a PSA 5, please let me know. I have no idea, but have been offered one.
  • Since I sent out some of these types of cards to get graded, I figured Ide bump up this thread. I sent these out this morning:

Chas. Bednarik
    Bill Fischer
    John L Sullivan
    Ray Robinson
    Clark Gable
    Dwight Eisenhower

Does anyone know if there is an actual price guide with the 1948 Topps Magic cards listed? I have yet to find one. I have emailed several people that I thought might know the actual prices these cards are fetching, but Im getting mixed results. I did look at the population report and it seems that these cards do not get graded often. Sadly, none of them are listed in the PSA Online price guide.

If you have never seen these types of cards, I would be happy to take some pictures of them when they arrive from PSA.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    There are prices listed in the big SCD Catalog, with Ruth Cobb and Gehrig having the most value But having put together the baseball subset of 19 in decent condition, I would not put much stock in any guide price on these. They do show up on ebay from time to time, and not always under baseball. They are actually easier to find than the 56 Hocus Focus and a lot easier than the 55 Hocus Focus
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    I have often heard it referenced as a 1948 issue, and Mastro has a large group of them listed that way in it's current auction

Al
  • Thanks, Bishop. I have seen the baseball listed but have yet to see any of the others. I find it odd that there is not a heavy interest for these cards since they are the first set issued by Topps. I guess Ill see how much they are worth to others after I post them on Ebay.
  • Welp, I FINALLY got them back and I am pretty happy with the grades. This is how they came back:

31901867 All American Football #7c Graded EX 5 Chas. Bednarik
    31901868 All American Football #5c Graded VG-EX 4 Bill Fischer
    31901869 Boxing Champions #2a Graded VG-EX 4 John L Sullivan
    31901870 Boxing Champions #19a Graded EX-MT 6 Ray Robinson
    31901872 Stars of the Stage and Silver Screen #1f Graded VG 3 Clark Gable
    31901871 American Military Leaders #10o Graded EX-MT 6 Dwight Eisenhower

These cards are NOT listed in SMR. Why, I dont know. If they are so 'popular', you would think that they would be there. So, if anyone knows a roundabout value of them graded, I would appreciate a reply.

Expect to see them on Ebay within the next week or 2.
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Some scans?? I have never seen one..
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• << <i>Some scans?? I have never seen one.. >>

Heres one ..

• lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Yuk...I think PSA should put them in a stamp or coin holder.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• The scan you see above is when they put them in the old holders. PSA wised up and started putting them in more compact holders so that people wouldnt squeal 'yuk' when they saw them. They look much better now.

When I decide on a good reserve price, youll see 'em on Ebay. I checked the population report on all of these cards graded and it is super low. Im expecting to make a nice penny. image If these sell, Ill be sending out the rest of my Magic cards for grading.
  • shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested is starting a Topps magic photo set registry? I have a bunch that aren’t graded yet so I’m not able to request yet.

Never mind I finally found the set registry.

Are you collecting the entire set or just the baseball subset ?

Al

Al

Very impressive set. I am not sure what I will collect yet. I bought a lot of about 130 but I really only collect football and baseball. I may keep the boxing as well. Not sure about the rest.

• RAPTORSRULE04RAPTORSRULE04 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

If your not interested in the basketball, please let me know. Thanks

I will probably get rid of the basketball. I think I only have 4 though.

• RAPTORSRULE04RAPTORSRULE04 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

Please pm me with what you have and price.
    Thanks George