Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

which registry set would cost the most to get into the top 20?

just trying to decide what to stay away from

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it would depend on what grade level you are talking about. Off hand I would say uncirculated Morgan Dollars would be at or near the top of the list along with any unc (classic) Gold sets.

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Unless you got hooked a long time ago--stay away from my favorite; Morgans. Just too much money for coins that aren't very rare, and if you'll look at the NGC Registry (having all PCGS is another price killer), you can find really nice complete sets that are down in the 30's, even 40's in rank.

Actually I think some older gold is possible to do in lower denominations, if you can settle for some AU examples. image I'd go to the PCGS price guide where each series has a total cost if completed, summed at the top.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most classic gold sets would only require a coin or two to break into the top 20.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know about the top 20 -- I would imagine Morgans, just because there are so many of them you'd likely need like 40+ coins in real high grade to just make the front page.

I think if you are thinking about the Top 10, though, I'd say the list of sets to stay away from gets real lengthy.

I decided to do a Merc run...and I tell you there are guys who have sets that are nearly 100% complete that are fighting to stay in the Top 10/Top 15 --- ooof!

SLQ's, Morgans, Walkers, Mercs, Barbers, Gold, Lincolns, etc. All of these get tough once you get to having your set 80% complete. Each incremental coin purchase beyond this point is like all the previous coins combined.
  • Options
    imageA complete set of double eagles ( $ 20.00 - Gold )
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    image double eagles would be me guess also.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Ten Most Famous United States Ultra Rarities

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay