Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What is there to do when there are no new threads on this forum?

Start one with some interesting areas of coin collecting:

1. You are a new collector, have purchased some proof/mint sets, a few circulated coins from the 1900 to 1950 era, and you want to go further, spending $1000 a year. How do you decide what to collect?

Answer:

2. You are a subscriber to Coin World, and see the large ads for coins of every variety. Do you buy a coin or 2 to see if the quality is okay, or do you check out the advertiser first?

Answer:

3. A known and reputable dealer has a coin listed for double what you think the current value is(acc. to Red Book, Trends, and PCGS price guide). You need the date and grade. Do you just pass, or make further inquiry?

Answer:

4. There is a thread on this forum, that is good to start with, but has gone down hill, with harsh comments about collectors with too much money to spend, and little knowledge about the specific coins being overpaid for. Do you reply, joining the fray, or do you stay away, hoping the thread will disappear?

Answer:

5. You believe the market for a series has topped(and you are a serious collector in the area). A post occurs stating just that. Do you post your opposition to the forecast , or do you sell your overvalued coins?

Answer:

6. There have been very few good threads on the Set Registry forum, and you are a regular reader. Do you hope for the best, that new threads will come, or do you try to post something interesting?

Answer: Post something that will make us think about our great hobby.
TahoeDale

Comments

• Options
    GOLDGUYGOLDGUY Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Sooooooo, Heavenly Valley just can't open soon enough huh?
    I didn't actually see your post -- but I heard the echo in this empty room when you hit the "send" key.
    Todd L. Imhof
    Partner / Executive VP
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>6. There have been very few good threads on the Set Registry forum, and you are a regular reader. Do you hope for the best, that new threads will come, or do you try to post something interesting?

Answer: Post something that will make us think about our great hobby. >>

Great topics. You may single handedly revive this forum. image

My threads seem to generally stir little interest. They do make good cheat threads since
    if there are five or six responses about half will usually be mine. image One needs something
    to get to 17,000 posts.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in 1997-8 when the original Collectors Universe chat room was dying, we used to try to chat twice a week instead of 3-4 nights a week.

We used to congregate only on Wednesday and Sunday nights.

It worked for a while until the Collectors Universe site kept crashing and driving most of us over to ebay and elsewhere.

Indeed, there was a life before and after internet chat rooms. I like the slower pace of 3-4 threads a day of quality threads!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!