Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLISHED DIES- DO THE STRIATIONS DETRACT?

Anyone familiar with how the marks left on a coin from die polishing affect the grade? It's seems that PCGS may downgrade because of this occurance.
Any comments on this subject?

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    die polish lines are cool in my book.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    As long as there aren't a ton of them I don't think they detract.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    As I understand it polishing lines won't affect grading except maybe the MS67/68 level where
    perfection on the planchet becomes ever more important.

If I make some 67/68 Morgans...I'll let you know more image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't like them much on proof or PL surfaces.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I find that they can be a big distraction especially on DMPL and PL morgans and on cameo pattern coins. The ones that really bother me are the die polish lines on pieces that disrupt the mirrors to the point that the surface isn't watery and deep anymore.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had 67's with pretty severe die polish lines. No 68's though.
  • Options
    WELCOME to the Forum........... bolivarshagnasty !!! image

Terriimage
    Still Learning.
  • Options
    Mercury dimes often have die polish lines. I've seen many in the 66-67 range that have them.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i luv die striations, but too many collectors who try to reach some fictitious level of antiseptic, machine-like "perfection" will frown upon them.

i'd say overall, they can knock a grade, but certainly never help it. nonetheless, i luv 'em because they are part of the handicraft of the manufacturing process.

K S
  • Options
    I have a couple of Swiss sp67 and sp68 coins with die polish striations. I think they are pretty cool.

Steve
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

I put polising lines right up there with die cracks. I LOVE THEM!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I put polising lines right up there with die cracks. I LOVE THEM! >>

I agree with you on that.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I own a rare 1921-D MS63 PL Morgan that I believe is undergraded because of the die polish lines.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Many Classic Commemoratives are known to have die polish lines in certain areas. These are used to determine genuine or altered. There are also a number of Classic Commems that come in PL surfaces and some of them all have the same die polish lines if they are PL.

I have no problem with die polish lines but I cannot say if the grading services downgrade a point. Many of my PL Classic commems with die polish lines I feel are conservatively graded.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Canadian Maple Leaf silver and gold bullion coins have die polish as part of the design to give the coin a special finish.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die polish lines are a negative in terms of eye appeal.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>image
    Good question. >>

Are those die polish lines? From your pics they look more like hairlines from a harsh cleaning.

• Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Personally I really like die polish lines, they add a lot of character.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image
    Good question. >>

Are those die polish lines? From your pics they look more like hairlines from a harsh cleaning. >>

I agree, those are 100% hairlines.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Die polish lines are a negative in terms of eye appeal. >>

true, but I don't think they should affect the grade.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The UHR looks extremely ugly with polish lines.
    Area dealers wanted nothing to do with it, to difficult to unload is what I was told.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    So I'm gonna say that on Matte finish gold, yeah, the are pretty distracting.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    you could list that on eBay with that picture and sell that UHR for a lot more than issue price with no problems.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>you could list that on eBay with that picture and sell that UHR for a lot more than issue price with no problems. >>

Considering the current melt value is much higher than the original issue price I would have to agree with you.image

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks like die polish lines to me.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<you could list that on eBay with that picture and sell that UHR for a lot more than issue price with no problems.>>

Tried that, only to refund the buyer because of the polish lines.
    Guess I'm keeping it. Considered making it a pocket piece, IMO would look pretty neat with some wear image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think "it depends".

Any DPLs on a 2009 UHR are a minus. Limited DPLs on a classic coin can be cool and add personality to the coin. Extensive lines can detract, especially when they are oriented in a dozen different directions. I have a 1923-S peace dollar with HEAVY polish lines over maybe 70% of the reverse. They are so heavy and prominent that they negatively affect eye appeal. I'm not sure what the mint was trying to do with that one. The die was clearly beyond salvage.
  • Options
    well, for the UHRs, the more PL the better and that means no DPLs.

but I've seen many UHRs with DPLs. The issue I'd be concerned with are the black specks that are sometimes struck into the coins.

And on that one coin pictured, it is easy to tell it is DPL because Liberty is clean.

I'd vote keep trying, or try on the BST. It won't go for PL money, that is for sure, but someone will want it.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Sure looks like die polish lines to me. >>

This is correct. This coin looks proof-like, in hand. Striations give the appearance of "harsh cleaning".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file