Home Metal Detecting
Options

Sept05 update 22nd

Yikes, that was close. The fourth time in three weeks that I came inches from stepping on a ground bee nest. Think I'm going to take some time away from the woods until bug season is over.
Anyway, I got out a little yesterday and today. One of the new sites looks promising.

Made it to the front of the Red Book again with this 1722 Woods Hibernia halfpenny type 1
1864 IHC pointed bust?

Someday I'll get to cleaning everything. Is it OK to let copper soak in olive oil for several months before doing the potato trick?
I'll have plenty of time when the snow flys.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Made it to the front of the Red Book again with this 1722 Woods Hibernia halfpenny type 1 >>

That's it! I wanna hunt with you from now on!

Excellent digs Tim!! I love the ring!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Thanks John.
    I'd still trade for a pointy rock site.
  • Options
    Geeze phut

Put the pressure on early in the month why dont you ??

That is a great bunch of finds !!!

Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, the grade on that 1826 cent is awesome.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I'm speechless... How long have you been doing this? Do these sites come to you in a dream or what? How do you find this stuff? image
    Melanie
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    phut. turn your profile on. if not, what part of the country do you search?
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>phut. turn your profile on. if not, what part of the country do you search? >>

New England
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options

<< <i>I'm speechless... How long have you been doing this? Do these sites come to you in a dream or what? How do you find this stuff? >>

He's been at it barely over a year, as I recall. Sure does have some good sites, doesn't he?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Someday I'll get to cleaning everything. Is it OK to let copper soak in olive oil for several months before doing the potato trick? >>

I don't see why not. A couple months in olive oil may negate the need for the tater trick.

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

To match any of Phut's posts I'd probably have to accumulate finds for a year, pick out the best ones, and then claim they came from "a quick hunt the other day" image

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Sheesh- some of his posts would top five year's detecting for me.

• Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've been dtecting since June of last year in Mass, NH, and Maine.
    Mel, if the sites came to me in dreams I'd be dreaming more silver and gold image.
    LordM, I didn't think olive oil would be a problem, but I had to ask.
    Maybe next time I break out the camera(found more stuff today) I'll take a picture of the 2 five gallon buckets full of junk that I had to dig to finally get to the good stuff.
  • Options
    More stuff
    IHC 2-1887 1-1882
    Dimes 1891 1952
    Some kind of brooche
    A funny looking time piece with no blinky green numbers. The batteries must be awesome cause as soon as I turned the little button on the side the skinny red stick started to move... then the white ones.
    A ring
    2 buttons
    1886 V nickel. Just as brown as the last one I found.
    2 unidentifiable coppers

Detailed pics
  • Options
  • Options
    phut, what kind of detector are you using? I know you've probably said so before but you know what it's like to be old.image
  • Options
    Thanx Zot... My first vacuumimage

<< <i>...but you know what it's like to be old. >>

imageimage
    Laserart, my machine looked like this at one time until I took it to heII and back.
    whites IDX
    I should've got the DFX, but I wasn't sure if I'd like the hobby enough to throw more than 5 bills at it.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

I've found a golf button like that. So has a friend of mine. They must be fairly common. Mine came up at the Hamilton Plantation/Gascoigne Bluff site. I think these are from the turn of the 19th/20th century.

• Options
    Cool finds as always Tim! Any idea of what the object left of the time piece is?

imageimage
  • Options
    << Any idea of what the object left of the time piece is? >>

It almost looks like one of those ivory cameo brooches.
    imageimage
  • Options
    A locket. (Not the closing kind, but something for a little picture).

(Edit-COTC and I were on the same track. It could've had a cameo or something in it.)

I wanna see closeups of the mystery coppers. Or are they total slugs?

• Options

<< <i>It almost looks like one of those ivory cameo brooches. >>

That's what I thought also COTC. I looked for a stone, but didn't look real close because of the poison ivy patch it was buried in and me in short sleaves and no gloves.
    Total slugs LordM. I think the large one may have been a 1723 Hibernia. I found it about 50 feet from where I found the 1722 and I could see the long skinny head facing right until I washed it with soapy water. Should have left the dirt on this one.
    Almost everything I find on this site is coated with a layer of black dirt. Some clean up real nice, others not so nice, and some are defined by dirt that just crumbles away.
  • Options
  • Options
    What is that over the cuff link?
  • Options
    WTG!...NICE FINDS!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    WTG!...NICE FINDS!...IN MY DREAMS
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Sheesh!!!

Where do you guys come up with these amazing finds??? I hunt for hours and hours and find nothing but modern crap and trash. You go out for a bit and clean up!!

YOU SUCK!!!!!

• Options
    Excellent finds Tim!! How many 5-gal. buckets of trash did you fill this trip?

Nice details on the half dime!! Killer!!

Old George seams to have developed some lepracy, but what a great find all the same!

That mystery copper (at least to me it's a mystery) is really intriging as well!

imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    The copper thing above the cufflink is a button. I find very few with any kind of design or backmark. Most are just plain and flat.
    Very little trash this time John. I think I found it all last month. I did find 5 baseballs, a basketball, and a whole lot of golf balls. This new site is at the bottom of a steep hill that has some dense brush with poison everything, so I think kids avoid going after their lost items.
    The half dime was found at my riverbank site yesterday. I did a ten minute sweep of an area that I thought I had cleared. It read as iron in one direction and pulltab in the other which normally means poptop or small cuff button. It was the only beep that moved the display off of iron so I dug it. Guess I have to go back to that spot with the sniper coil.
  • Options
    LordM said his half dimes fell in the pulltab range. The one I've been blessed with fell in the zinc penny range on my Garrett. It's too bad yours wasn't an 1846. Soo close to a key date. Maybe there's one still lodged in the ground around there!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I need to vacation to where you live. Killer finds as always!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    My gosh man! WTG!

I should be so lucky!

blue skies!
    david
    Modern bashing is sooooooo old.
    -Bochiman

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    -unknown
  • Options
    I also concur...YOU SUCK!!!
    Great finds. Wish I was digging this type of stuff up, but I haven't invested the energy needed yet to dig the hard soil out here in Phoenix. I've been lazy doing sand at the tot lots and just finding clad and some toys (and of course lots of junk. I never want my kids to go barefoot in the sand again after all the anils and rusty metal that I've found in the sand and some not that deep at all!!!!!
  • Options
    I found 2 filet knives in the sand a couple of years ago. That was a scare and a half.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Wow!

This button looks like a definite keeper. It is military, and from the Rev War to War of 1812 era, I would imagine- most likely 1790's-1810's.

First Regiment of something. (Vermont? I need to check the Albert book. First Vermont Regiment, I think.) Very intriguing.

Geeminy, you have yourself a dream site. I sure would love to go detecting with you and with Speer34. That would be awesome.

In the meantime, I'll just have to dream, and add to your growing pile of "you sucks".

• Options
    LordM,

Buy a plane ticket and get your butt over here to the UK. I will have us some fields waiting for the picking when you get hereimage

But you gotta make it quick--I leave this joint in less than 6 months. I have been here for 6 and a half years and I wait until the last 6 months I am here before I start md'ing. Go figure image
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options

I don't think I'll be able to go to that side of the pond, anytime soon. Maybe one day. *sigh*

Say- while you're here, what was your "mystery coin"? Any developments on that?

• Options
    LM,

I haven't been able to determine exactly what it is yet. I hope to have something to post by the end of the weekend. Someone has suggested electrylsis (sp?) and I do believe that I am going to give that a try.
    Hopefully I will have something on it soon.

I will keep everyone informed as to the outcome!!!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Try electrolysis, but don't leave it in there too long! You don't wanna "burn it up"!

• Options

imageimageimage
    Gorgeous half dime among other knockout finds!!
    Now you're starting to also include old silver in addition to coppers!! Mercy! image
  • Options

<< <i>Now you're starting to also include old silver in addition to coppers!! Mercy! >>

Our Sultan of Suckiness has been finding old silver for a while, actually. I know he has found a couple of 18th century pieces- a German States coin and some Spanish colonial stuff, at the very least.

• Options
    He just sent me that 1826 cent. What a surprise! image