Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

87 Kraft panels

Without question the Rodney Dangerfield of food issues is the 87 Kraft "Home Plate Heroes" issue. It comes with 48 different stars of the day including HOF'ers Murray, Ripken, Boggs,Sandberg, Ossie, Brett, Yount, Puckett, Schmidt, Gwynn, Clemens and Ryan. In addition there are 5 different panel combinations for each player. Enclosed is scan of the 5 Boggs panels (sorry about resolution 50kb is not much to work with).

For instance Eddie Murray comes with card # 2 Dale Murphy, Card #48 Nolan Ryan, ect. ( 1/2 Murray/Murphy; 1/48 Murray/Ryan; 1/22 Murray/Tudor; 1/4 Murray/Scott; 1/24 Murray/Hayes ) When my 15 year old son and I figured out the numerical pattens for the 5 sets it was published back then in SCD since we were the first ones to figure it out. We named the 5 sets after the player teamed with Murray i.e the Murphy, Ryan, Tudor, Scott and Hayes sets. This makes for some very interesting HOF combinations like 1/48 Murray/Ryan; 23/48 Yount/Ryan; 27/44 Puckett/Gwynn; 27/30 Puckett/Schmidt; 45/48 Clemens/Ryan (my favorite); 7/30 Boggs/Schmidt; 21/44 Brett/Gwynn.

The panels are tough to get mint cause the cards were printed real close to the box corners and the corners were nearly always dented.

I'm claiming the set gets "no respect" cause only the singles are listed in Std Catalog of BB Cards and here in the PSA set registry, only singles are included in the MAster sets. PSA grades full Hostess panels, so why not these Kraft panels ??? I would like to see PSA grade the full panels and the full (5) panles be put into MAster sets. Your thoughts are welcomed !

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of those cards too. I remember going through shelves of macaroni, stacking boxes in the aisles and filling up shopping carts with the best ones (corners not dinged, hard-to-find card combinations) - I donated enough macaroni to local grade schools to stock their arts and crafts supplies for decades. I cut up one set of singles and the rest are all full panels, with the green end border.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Man, those bring back memories.
    I too went through many stores shelves looking for boxes I needed. The really neat thing about them was that I was, and still am to a point, adicted to Kraft M & C. I had enough for me and my roommate to eat for about 3 months. It went surprisingly fast.
    I think I still have a bunch of the panels stuck somewhere. I wonder where I put them now.......

Question: Is a full panel considered just the cards, as in the OP's scan, or the entire box back with the green portion, as MM states?
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    bowdowntome,

I assume the full panel is only the cards, since that is the rule for the Hostess panels . Why would it be different here ? Attached shot of full "side panel" I do nt think this ads anything to the cards. Do you ?? Like Hostess, the panels should have aded value over the sum of the individual cards.

I personally think the set should be all 125 panels, not 48 seperated cards.
  • Options
    armourguy - I tend to agree, the green portion is not significant. If it had stats, a checklist, or some other pertinant information on it, I'd say it should stay, but you are right, they look better trimmed to the cards.

I've never followed these items, do unfolded, flat boxes exist? Like the unfolded Wheaties boxes you occassionally find? I would think that would make it easier to come up with better panels.

If I remember right, when you "exploded" a box (unfolded it to cut), the edges of the box left a bead that made it harder to trim the panels close to the cards without going into the dotted line.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    Either I'm a putz when it comes to "exploding" boxes, or I found the glue too overpowering to get a good break on the seams. I found these boxes didn't open up very well, although I have saved a basic (not master) set:

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    you are both correct, very hard to get nm panels, but isn't that what it is all about ??
    Anyway do the panels need to be catalogued by Std CAtalog for PSA to agree to slab them ??
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    does psa grade these? i'm planning to include a schmidt and mattingly with my next submission....(finishing up this week).

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    thatis my question. PSA grades Hostess panels (3 up) and M&M panels and frenches musterd panels so wh ynot these?? MAybe the answer is as simple as no one ever sent them in, but I worry because they panel combinations are not listed in Std Catalog of BB CArds and I think they use that to verify the cards "existence" . Time for a letter to Bob Lemke !
  • Options
    How 'bout just a call to Cosetta?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Great memories with this set! I recall seeing an Ozzie Guillen PSA 10 (handcut) from this set several months back. I believe it went for around 12 dollars. I have an unopened box for my Ozzie Guillen collection.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

oh man, i was 11 years old when this stuff was on the shelves.. i had tons of unopened macaroni boxes.. i didnt even like the stuff!.. none of them stayed in very good shape.. i dont even know what happened to 'em.. seems like i remember there was a few variations or reversed negatives or something in the set also? maybe i'm imagining things..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

because of this thread i bought a set of these panels.. it was cheap and they're all in pretty good shape, cut outside of the lines.. i doubt i'll get them graded, i just bought 'em for the nostalgia..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Perry, if you don't mind my asking, how much did the set cost?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    $2.99 + $5.75 shipping..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    You may have a fortune sitting there!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    i think if i find a set for $2.99, i'll jump on it as well, just to have it.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    These are so tough.

Ive got a PSA 10 Eddie Murray hand cut single. I almost fell off my chair when I saw this and bought it right away.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    you bought your own card?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< <i>you bought your own card? >>

?
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Either I'm a putz when it comes to "exploding" boxes, or I found the glue too overpowering to get a good break on the seams. I found these boxes didn't open up very well, although I have saved a basic (not master) set:

image >>

Maybe "you went for the macaroni first"? Then the box was an afterthought? image

rbd
  • Options
    rbdjr: I hate Kraft Macaroni, always have. I had a method for opening the boxes and spilling the contents into a paper shopping bag, but the boxes just didn't break cleanly.

Plastic: when I read your post, the way the sentence structure read sounded like you first owned a card and then you bought it. No offense meant; just my lame attempt at humor....or....posting with a martini in hand.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I have a few of these panels if any of you are still looking for them.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...I hate Kraft Macaroni, always have... >>

You are evil.....EVIL I SAY.....Kraft Macaroni is the greatest thing on earth.....God put it on the planet to be the one and only food that humankind needs to stay alive.

I shun you.
  • Options
    I've always felt bad about that. I felt safe in confiding on this board, but, in actuality - my God, what have i done?

I was fed that stuff for dinner (dinner, not a side dish) at least 3 times a week when I was a kid. My mother wasn't too handy in the kitchen after drinking J & B all day.

So now you know the ugly truth.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Morell,
    I too was overfed that stuff along with PB&J sandwhiches and lotsa corn flakes (cheap ones).
  • Options
    I was also fed that stuff as kid, but not because my mom couldn't cook anything else, but because we all LOVED it!image

Seriously, we all looked forward to those nights when my mom would plop down, what looked to me like, a 5 gallon pot full of the stuff. What made it even more special was that you could buy that Kraft cheese in a shaker can, by itself, and we would put extra cheese in it.

When my parents moved to Missouri they could no longer find that Kraft cheese (in the can) and they kind of went nuts trying to find it. Come to find out that it was some kind of "regional" thing and no grocery stores in Missouri carried it. Then, one time when they took a trip to the east coast, they happened to find some at a local grocer and they bopught like 5 CASES of the stuff.

Great memories.

I still love it!
  • Options

<< <i>Without question the Rodney Dangerfield of food issues is the 87 Kraft "Home Plate Heroes" issue. It comes with 48 different stars of the day including HOF'ers Murray, Ripken, Boggs,Sandberg, Ossie, Brett, Yount, Puckett, Schmidt, Gwynn, Clemens and Ryan. In addition there are 5 different panel combinations for each player. Enclosed is scan of the 5 Boggs panels (sorry about resolution 50kb is not much to work with).

For instance Eddie Murray comes with card # 2 Dale Murphy, Card #48 Nolan Ryan, ect. ( 1/2 Murray/Murphy; 1/48 Murray/Ryan; 1/22 Murray/Tudor; 1/4 Murray/Scott; 1/24 Murray/Hayes ) When my 15 year old son and I figured out the numerical pattens for the 5 sets it was published back then in SCD since we were the first ones to figure it out. We named the 5 sets after the player teamed with Murray i.e the Murphy, Ryan, Tudor, Scott and Hayes sets. This makes for some very interesting HOF combinations like 1/48 Murray/Ryan; 23/48 Yount/Ryan; 27/44 Puckett/Gwynn; 27/30 Puckett/Schmidt; 45/48 Clemens/Ryan (my favorite); 7/30 Boggs/Schmidt; 21/44 Brett/Gwynn.

The panels are tough to get mint cause the cards were printed real close to the box corners and the corners were nearly always dented.

I'm claiming the set gets "no respect" cause only the singles are listed in Std Catalog of BB Cards and here in the PSA set registry, only singles are included in the MAster sets. PSA grades full Hostess panels, so why not these Kraft panels ??? I would like to see PSA grade the full panels and the full (5) panles be put into MAster sets. Your thoughts are welcomed ! >>

I didn't know they existed. Have any sold on ebay?
  • Options
    id like to see some panels graded.
  • Options
    Finally sent some of these panels in for grading. As those of you who remember these macaroni boxes recall the cards were printed super close to the edges and corners of the box so getting them in top shape was no small task. I kept only the ones in great shape and carefully cut them with a office paper slicer.

Anyway, I got infamous "313" as a grader and he hammered me. I'm putting up a pic of two of the few 9's I got. He graded some as low as 5's that were in really nice shape.

There are a total of 120 different panels in the set (5 diff panels of each of the 48 players) . Let me know if anyone is interested in the checklist and I will try to publish it in this thread. I doubt anyone will ever complete the set in PSA 8 +.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Any chance that you would be willing to sell any of your Schmidt graded panels?

Marc [marc.schoenen@ge.com]
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Hello,
    What are the panel combos for puckett. I have four, I'm wondering what one I'm missing. Anyone have any graded Puckett panels that is looking to sell?

Thanks,
    Jason
  • Options
    ArmourGuyArmourGuy Posts: 114
    Puckett panels:

Murphy / puckett
    puckett / schmidt
    puckett / darling
    puckett / gwynn
    tudor / puckett

there are not a lot of these graded cause the cards were printed real close to the left border and there are not many panels circulating where the left borders ( dotted lines) are in mint condition.
  • Options
    Armour,

Thanks for the reply. The boxes I have are pretty good as long as I split the dotted line.
    Thanks,
    Jason
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I have several unopened if anyone is interested. They are just collecting dust. Probably not a good idea for supper.
  • Options

<< <i>I have several unopened if anyone is interested. They are just collecting dust. Probably not a good idea for supper. >>

I would be interested in any Schmidt examples-

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Schmidt- pm sent
  • Options
    Armour guy - when you say "carefully" sliced with an office paper cutter, do you mean slowly cutting with the blade? Where did you apply pressure? I'm thinking of doing the same thing and I'd like to benefit from your experience.

BTW, here's the full combo checklist:

Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Morrell,

From trial and error with the graders it appears they want the cut very close to the dotted lines. First you have to cut the ends off the box (razor blade ) then lay the folded box on a "giloteen" (excuse the phonetic spelling) type paper cutter and slice very close to the dotted lines.

Problem is that everyone kept the boxes intact thinking that meant they had "mint" examples. But, as I've said before the card on the left of the panel is very close to the edge. (see attached image) and the two left corners on the left card are usually bent. MAy be hard to see in the attached pic but take my word for it this would be graded a 5 after the cutting.

I bought the pictured panel as "mint" and the seller assured me the corners were perfect. Since I only paid 75 cents not worth the postage to return but you can see the problem.

Let me know if you get any graded.

• Options
    AG - thanks for the tips - I'm well aware of the left card problems - I tried to eliminate as many of those as I could at the store as I sorted through the boxes. 80% of the boxes had stress wrinkles permeating into the left card from the left top or bottom border. When you say cut the box ends with a razor blade, you're talking about a complete box, no? What I did 20 years ago was cut the entire back panel off the box, all the way out to the folds and including the green advertising to the right of the cards. So I will not have folded boxes going under the guillotine. Do you think that will make a difference in the cut?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Before you cut with the guillotine, you might want to check the blade. I'd go buy a new one. I used one that had a dull spot in the blade (closest to where the first cut would've been made) and it pulled and bent instead of cutting. Screwed up my cut and that was on photo paper, so cardboard could easily cause you some grief without a sharp blade.
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    I just listed several unopened boxes.
    Check them out in my store.
    Thanks!!
    Link to Kraft Panels in my store
  • Options
    UPDATE for Kraft MAc & Cheese junkies:

I have got the full 120 panel set loaded on the set registry (5 panels for each player) :
    http://www.psacard.com/set_registry/display_rsets.chtml?setid=6557&amp;set_name=1987 Kraft Home Plate Heroes Hand Cut Panel

I currently have 30% of it graded with a 8.42

These hand cut sets that were on boxes are real tough, if you don't agree check the 1962 Post registry set for example. Post, jello, bozooka, hostess and more recently kraft & drakes - these hand cut panels are much tougher to find in good condition than their equivalent topps card.

Please contact me if you havve any Kraft that I need in MT condition only
  • Options
    ag,
    are you only wanting the panels or singles?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

<< <i>Please contact me if you havve any Kraft that I need in MT condition only >>

ArmourGuy,

When I first read this 1987 Kraft panels thread last May, I ended up buying a set of the unopened, unglued boxes. After I received them I found the Incaviglia/Brooks cards have a crease through them. If you want this complete 48-card set, let me know. I paid $35 delivered for it. You can have it for that...

[edited to add:] Happy 1-year anniversary of this thread!!
  • Options
    thought those of you with Kraft interest might like to see this gem dandyimage
  • Options
    Wow thats nice.
    I still have a few boxes but don't have the gonads to try and cut them!
  • Options
    That's an interesting pic - that Schmidt/Puckett. If the cards themselves are non-wrinkled and flawless, and the panel is cut so all the dotted lines show, does the cutting job dictate the grade? Is PSA grading one's ability to use scissors?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< <i>That's an interesting pic - that Schmidt/Puckett. If the cards themselves are non-wrinkled and flawless, and the panel is cut so all the dotted lines show, does the cutting job dictate the grade? Is PSA grading one's ability to use scissors? >>

Mark - especially if the panel was distributed and filled with mac and cheese, there is huge potential for surface blemishes, etc. Certainly any hand cut card can almost surely dictate centering, edges, corners, etc. - so the key is to try and make sure that you have a box that was not distributed and that you have a flawless, even cut.

~ms
  • Options
    I just pulled down my Kraft Home Plate Heroes binder - I have 30 Mattingly/Schmidts and you're right. I don't think I have a 10 in the bunch. I pulled boxes out of cases before they even hit the shelves, but if they held the mac, there's probably a bend to the card somewhere.
    Mark (amerbbcards)