Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

LINDL: The three Allies Satirical Medal

Hans Lindl, THE THREE ALLIES SATIRICAL MEDAL, 1914, 67.2mm, 71.2g, Blackened Cast Iron, Uniface, Forrer VII:558, Choice VZ.

French coq with leg in cast, bandaged Russian bear, and British bulldog with head wrapped. Three Allies in exergue. 'Lindl 1914' in field at 3:00 o’clock.

A statement regarding German injury to the three superpowers during the initial stages of the weltkreig.

Hans Lindl was another of the Munich School medalists, along with Karl Goetz and Ludwig Gies to name a few, to produce medals during the Great War.

Comments

• Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    An very impressive medal, I've never seen one of those before. image

That coq doesn't have many feathers anymore, the bear is licking his wounds, but I like the sad looking dog best.

There is something written at the bottom but I can't read it, because it seems to be corroded.
    imageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    It looks to be in very excellent original condition, as expected from one of your pieces. Are you now branching out into other artists besides Goetz, or did you just like the theme or artwork?

imageimageimage

edit: Udo, do you think it might say "drei Verbund"? That still doesn't quite make sense.
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    nice medal,Very Nice conditionimage
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭
    A slight casting flaw at 6 o'clock makes it difficult to read the inscription. My references say that it translates to "Three Allies" though.

Yes, in a way I am branching out but only to give me a better feel of the socio-historical environment of Germany as visioned by the artists at the time. Obviously Goetz was influenced by other's works as much as they may have been by his. Many German art movements come into play during Goetz' Munich period of 1904 - 1950 and, as such, he must have been influenced by more than just politics.

In a nutshell, I am keeping my collection restricted to Goetz and the German Expressionism of Munich School medalists.

A very astute observation Udo...The Coq has certainly been 'plucked'...image
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Udo, do you think it might say "drei Verbund"? That still doesn't quite make sense.

You're great jester, you almost got it and it makes sense!

I believe it's "Dreierverband," this means: "Alliance of three" (England, Russia and France, as depicted).

But the word "Verband" is ambiguous, it also means "dressing/bandage" and as we can see, all animals are bandaged. image

imageimage
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Udo, do you think it might say "drei Verbund"? That still doesn't quite make sense.

I believe it's "Dreierverband," this means: "Alliance of three" (England, Russia and France, as depicted).

But the word "Verband" is ambiguous, it also means "dressing/bandage" and as we can see, all animals are bandaged. image >>

Hence the 'satire'....nyuk nyuk nyuk image
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Udo, do you think it might say "drei Verbund"? That still doesn't quite make sense.

But the word "Verband" is ambiguous, it also means "dressing/bandage" and as we can see, all animals are bandaged. image >>

Hence the 'satire'....nyuk nyuk nyuk image >>

Medallic is always a hootinanny, ain't it?

Cool medal, by the way. image
    Obscurum per obscurius