Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions of Jules Karp coins

Has anyone bought gold from Jules Karp? One of these days I hope to have scraped enough to buy some gold for my Dansco Type set. Being law enforcement (and working with the availible coin budget that goes with that) they'll have to be circulated and I'm a little wary of buying unslabbed gold. He seems to have good prices and with just needing to fill the slots for the Dansco gold page (for now anyways) I'm not too concerned with dates or mintmarks. Your opinions are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I haven't done any business with him in the last couple years, but I can tell you that he has been in the coin business/regular Coin World advertiser for over 30 yr. So, IMHO,. he's A-OK.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't done any business with him in the last couple years, but I can tell you that he has been in the coin business/regular Coin World advertiser for over 30 yr. So, IMHO,. he's A-OK.image >>

Using that logic, Coast to Coast, Paul Simms, etc must be A-OK. Judging by Jules Karp's prices, you can expect an overgraded or problem coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Jules Karp does not appear in the list of PNG dealers so you need to look elsewhere for his references. Just advertising in Coin World does not impress me in the least. Did you ever meet him in person?

You can save yourself a lot of worry by buying only PCGS or NGC US gold. There is far too much counterfeit gold and worked on gold out there.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your opinions are appreciated.

As far as I'm concerned, mail order should be the option of last resort. If at all possible, the coins should be purchased at a coin show. If you shop around, you'll end up with better coins at better prices. You'll also have more fun and learn something in the process.

Edited to say that there are a lot of dealers, myself included, that can help you fill your album. But if you rely on one dealer, however wonderfully he treats you, you still miss out on the valuable experience of building your own collection.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Just saw him on Peoples Court for selling a sh** Bust Dollar.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    image No kidding? Who won in the court dispute?
  • Options
    He won. The plaintiff was trying to sue him years later for selling a chemically treated coin that the plaintiff could not sell. Although he won, he sure did not look good. Just goes to show you what can happen if you buy raw and don't know what your doing.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    And it goes to show what good advice Perry Hall, Mozin and Andy Lustig gave to Striker, all those years ago!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

If you buy a coin from Jules Karp make sure he takes the money and buys a new set of clothing for himself. Or at least have him send his clothes to the cleaners!

Stewart
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Full circle!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just saw him on Peoples Court for selling a sh** Bust Dollar. >>

Man, that's too much!image
  • Options

<< <i>If you buy a coin from Jules Karp make sure he takes the money and buys a new set of clothing for himself. Or at least have him send his clothes to the cleaners!

Stewart >>

I usually do not like to gossip... but I now need to share this story...

At a show a year or so ago, Jules sat down at my table to view a few coins... he mentioned he had a few coins to show me that I might be interested in. Much to my dismay, he then reached into his pants, I imagine his underwear, considering how deep he went image and proceeded to pull out a bundle of 5 or 6 coins... he tossed them on my display case...

There was NO WAY I even wanted to touch these coins... I told him I was not interested in doing any buying and quickly found something else to do... while he put his coins back from where they came and moved on...

Best way I can say it is... eccentric... to say the least...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just saw him on Peoples Court for selling a sh** Bust Dollar. >>

OMG! How funny. But wait...

...you watch People's Court?
    Lance.
  • Options
    Like, actually REACHED into his pants to get the coins, like, eeeeeuuuuuu.... [censored]image
  • Options

<< <i>Like, actually REACHED into his pants to get the coins, like, eeeeeuuuuuu.... [censored]image >>

Believe it or not... yep...

For the record... after he left I pulled out some Windex and paper towel... if I had some Lysol, I would have used that too...

Also, another point for the record... the # of years in business means nothing to me... a person or company can be in business 100 years... and still not be doing it right... even if they still have customers... remember, problem coins do not just magically appear... they come from somewhere... and someone actually buys them... even some of us... image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    >>

OMG! How funny. But wait...

...you watch People's Court?
    Lance. >>

Well, I just thought the Laker game was on afterimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Like, actually REACHED into his pants to get the coins, like, eeeeeuuuuuu.... [censored]image >>

Believe it or not... yep...

For the record... after he left I pulled out some Windex and paper towel... if I had some Lysol, I would have used that too...

Also, another point for the record... the # of years in business means nothing to me... a person or company can be in business 100 years... and still not be doing it right... even if they still have customers... remember, problem coins do not just magically appear... they come from somewhere... and someone actually buys them... even some of us... image >>

This story makes the mustard stain tales pale by comparison... should coin dealers have an Emergency Sanitization kit on hand? Where is OSHA?

[of course, this begs the question... Where does he keep the REALLY good stuff?]
  • Options

[of course, this begs the question... Where does he keep the REALLY good stuff?] >>

OMG kaz! That's screamingly funny!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Your opinions are appreciated.

As far as I'm concerned, mail order should be the option of last resort. If at all possible, the coins should be purchased at a coin show. If you shop around, you'll end up with better coins at better prices. You'll also have more fun and learn something in the process.

Edited to say that there are a lot of dealers, myself included, that can help you fill your album. But if you rely on one dealer, however wonderfully he treats you, you still miss out on the valuable experience of building your own collection. >>

I like Andy's reply, start the relationship at the show and then move to mail order from a dealer you know and trust from your past experience.
  • Options

He was just ATing some of his coins to hide the harsh cleaning.image

• Options

<< <i>

He was just ATing some of his coins to hide the harsh cleaning.image >>

Probably ate lunch at Taco Bell to speed up the process.image

• Options
    I have a feeling this thread is about to go "poof" in a gaseous explosion.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I've bought bullion AGE's from Jules. Always 100% satisfied!

Oh BTW:

"Rule 4) Anyone making libelous remarks concerning any individual, any company, or any other entity will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings.

Rule 5) If you have nothing to contribute to an OP then do not post. Snide remarks and other negative comments will result in your losing your ability to post. No more warnings."
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    If it's true, it's not libel. What falsifications are posted here?
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Jules suffered a heart attack and stroke a few weeks ago. Please refrain from further negatives.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Hello,

As a heart attack sufferer in the past I wish the man well and a speedy recovery.

Rob
    Rob
  • Options

<< <i>Jules suffered a heart attack and stroke a few weeks ago. Please refrain from further negatives. >>

My best wished go out to Jules... I certainly do not wish him harm nor have any ill will towards him...

Perhaps I should have not shared my story with the forum... yet it was a "real life" encounter... and a rather funny (in it's own way) one at that...
  • Options
    karpman9karpman9 Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Jules and I share the same surname and who knows, perhaps even some lineage. Irrespective, I pray and hope for his full and speedy recovery as I would for any other forum member afflicted with such a devestating physical upheaval.
    Jeff.K. Karp

Meet my first little guy, Benjamin. Born 4/8/2007
    Pic taken at 2.5 years of age.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file