Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Something does NOT look right with this....

Now, don't get me wrong, The price WAS my maximum bid....however.......

See Ebay item 5234498719 Joe Dumars 1986 Fleer PSA 10

Up until today, the highest bid was less than $90 ( I was still the high bidder since
I put in a ceiling bid of $250. I also realzie that most of the bidding happens in the
very last part of the auction...but......All of a sudden (See the bid retraction) " ph0enix_gems (9) "
put in a bid of $333. Then he retracted it....next thing, all the bidders then all bid right up
to my maximum ($249.99). Anyone that is bidding on something like this would see
that there was a bid retraction and would more than likely check it out if they had
not already checked it out when the bid was retracted. I checked all their bidding history
...while some bought cards, most of it was not even close to being anything
remotely close like this lot....So it just doesn't seem like these people would be bidding on this card........

Now, I have to ask-Does this look fishy to anyone else, or I am I just blowing this out of
proportion?

I have been doing this stuff a long time, but this just takes the cake as far as I am concerned!

imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    You got run up by someone. Hard to say if they were connected with the seller.

Have you had any issues with anyone on this

list.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I think the buyer used several ids figure out what it would take to barely outbid you and save himself a few bucks. Very shady.

Lee
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely terrible. Why would anyone bid .99 - especially if they want to in an auction. It's situations like this that push me closer to using a snipe service.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    This is why I ALWAYS snipe my bids, not placing a bid anytime right before the item ends is like handing out money, I use auctionsnper.com....but there are other good services as well. Check into these they will save you all this hassle and save you money too.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Sure sounds fishy to me. I keep putting it off, but I'm going to have to go with one of those snipe services.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    just snipe allows 5 free snipes per week.

edited to add: i would tell eric to sell it to the underbidder.

Shilled?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    The seller's id should be ericisshilling
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Had it not ended, I think that's a good case for retracting your bid, just on principle. Let the seller win his own auction. The xx9.99 bids are so ridiculously obvious.
  • Options
    Snipe, snipe, snipe, snipe. Then you dont have to worry about these types of things.
  • Options
    First of all get a snipe service. RIGHT NOW!!!

Secondly, I wouldn't normally advocate this, but the shilling is sooo obvious. I wouldn't pay. I know Ebay's policy "once you place a bid, you enter a contract blah, blah, blah", but the retracted bid exposed your max bid. The under bidder shilled you right up to the max. He would have been less obvious if he just put in one bid at 249.99, but than again shillers only think they are smart. Explain to the seller that you feel you were shilled and to offer the card to the under bidder. If the seller negs you, neg him back. You have 100% positive feedback, so it's no big deal. If you want to protect your feedback, go to SquareTrade and pay the $20 to have the neg removed. You'll save $230 and feel better in the morning.

Lastly, get a snipe service!image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    It smells fishy, its always bidders with single digit feedback too.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Offer $165, as $160 was the last legit bid. If he says no, pass and take the neg, turn him in for obvious shill bidding and get him NARU'd - the neg will be a neutral. The card will be for sale again in 30 days or less under another name. Snipe it and laugh all the way to the bank. Your feedback - AS A BUYER - is not more important than your money!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Thanks to all that responded! I am glad to hear I am not just a 50 year old
    nut case! LOL!

Thanks for all the other advice as well about the sniping!

Tony

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

call me ignorant, but what exactly makes you guys so sure that's a shill bidder?..

seller is in Arizona, bidder is in Florida..

and the bidder bids on all kinds of stuff, not just from 1 seller.. LINK
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>call me ignorant, but what exactly makes you guys so sure that's a shill bidder?..

seller is in Arizona, bidder is in Florida..

and the bidder bids on all kinds of stuff, not just from 1 seller.. LINK >>

I'm not convinced the person who ran you up was shilling for "ericisbidding". I am convinced that the account 2003dodgest-4 is an experienced ebayers second account, and certainly wouldn't be above shilling for someone. That is why I wondered above if you had problems with anyone recently? Especially someone who might have been on the list shown above.

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

i just noticed the bid retraction by "ph0enixgems".. curious name for a user from Michigan..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

Absolutely no problems with anyone........

KalineFan

• Options

<< <i>i just noticed the bid retraction by "ph0enixgems".. curious name for a user from Michigan.. >>

I noticed that too and that sealed it for me.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso