Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

With gas double what it was last year...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hey Condor. Thank you for your thoughts on Solar cars. I hear what you are saying. Solar technology right now is not "up to speed." However, we all already know that Solar power is used to power up a calculator (most/many calculators are powered this way). The technology works perfectly. Of course, a calculator is quite a different thing than a car which requires far more power than a mere calculator.

However, while a single solar cell can currently only produce a small amount of electricity, multiple connections of solar cells produce greater amounts electricity. The more solar cells that are connected together the more power - and that is with existing technology! Even the most rudimentary investment in the present solar technology is very likely to produce far more powerful solar cell capability.

As it stands today, these multi-connected solar cells could power smaller light weight vehicles which could easily be used (at little or no "fuel" cost) by an individual for local stops and travel. The solar cars that are used in racing travel upward of 100 mph requiring, obviously, more power. However, the vehicles that could be used in every day use, for local shopping, errands, etc need not travel anywhere near that speed (say, 30 mph top speed) thus using far less of the solar power. If feel this solar technology is a useful and exceedingly cost effective alternative to being enslaved to the oil industry who presently controls our energy, transportation and increasingly our economic needs.

Last thought; we must, at almost any expense, embrace the FREE sources of energy which, thankfully, can be harnessed from the universe that GOD has given mankind dominion over. Solar power is a "free" source of energy for mankind to use. All other energy resources (fossil fuel, hydrogen cells, etc) are controlled and dominated by the few (oligarch corporations and their cohorts) to be doled out to the many as they see fit. With the recent rapid rising price of oil, some of us have observed that society's dependency on any necessity (fuel or otherwise) cannot and should not be controlled by a small group of elites who can lord it over us at will, making us utterly vulnerable to them and their machinations. Let's not go from the frying pan to the fire - a potential reality with "hydrogen cell" and other "costly" energy sources. Thanks Condor. imagematteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    Hi NoGv. I'm not surprised at all to hear that the repo business is booming, though I'm certainly saddened to hear it. You are 100% correct in your observation about over-extended real estate debt within many families. If the real estate market bursts, the economic devastation for the typical American family is likely to be extreme. This is especially so now that the new bankruptcy laws will take effect in October. There is no "clean start" under the new bankruptcy laws and this could prove devastating if the real estate market breaks down leaving the homeowner with too much debt and too little equity such that even selling off the house will be insufficient to cover the debt. The balance due on that debt will stay on him like white on rice - forever!

Even worse, medical bankrupts (folks with too little health insurance coverage or none at all) who are a large portion of those who must go bankrupt, are NOT exempt from these horrible new bankruptcy laws. So a man goes bankrupt due to the outrageous costs associated with illness, and he is forced to become a slave to that medical debt for the rest of his life. It's deplorable law in my view that will lead to many economic sorrows and has the potential to cause fantastic social issues that we cannot even fathom. The new bankruptcy laws, taking effect this October, are a national tragedy in the making. I fear that "kind" as in kindness and compassion, is becoming the new four letter word in our present generation. I hope and pray that I'm wrong. The debtor is a slave to the lender (a Biblical truth unfolding before our very eyes - Proverbs 22: 7). matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    Hey Kranky. Glad to hear that the word is starting to get around about solar powered cars (and this race too). I like the technology alot, although it needs some tweaking to bring it up to speed. The word is that many young mechanics, racing afficianados, and race car drivers are playing around with solar much like the old "race pit" dragsters of the 1950's played around with "funny cars" and "rails" and all kind of muscle cars and high powered race cars of that era. Those guys tweaked and raced, tweaked and raced until they got it just right (Nascar was born of such stuff). Leave it to these guys, America's best to figure out how to fix our dependency on oil. GOD Bless them for pushing the solar technology to the limit like their predecessors did with big block oil engines. image matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    The gas prices are going to start going down here in a few weeks.... IF New Orleans and other states down their can get their refinaries working again. Currently they supply all the gas for the southeastern part of the US. However, they have opened emengency gas place. As for driving, I would suggust hydroelectric cars! Also, biking is good for places within a few miles of you. As for hydroelectric cars, they are not terribly expensive and only use gas to start.

-Brent

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    The following is sorta funny but I do have a valid point to make so please bear with me as it sure is hard to type while wiping my eyes from LMAO.

I'm sure the vast majority here has heard of Methane Gas. Put it this way, if you work in the bowels of any city in the Sewer lines you had better not light a cigarette because you'll only do it once. The entire block will explode...know what I mean?

I'm also equally confident that most of us at some point in time have either personally got down on the floor and lit one or have seen someone do it. The flame, especially in a pitch black room, is nothing short of phenomenal. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL COLORED FLAME!

Oh, and DO NOT try this "sans underwear"....if you do you WILL regret it. I saw a guy in College do just this and the next thing I knew a ball of flame was running across this pitch black dorm room where we were playing Poker. He walked kinda funny for quite a while afterward. (Time out while I wipe my eyes again!)

OK...WITH THIS.... IF SOMEHOW, someone could figure out a way to utilize what is deposited into thrones everyday all across the world and with the "Sources" being truly inexhaustable and get our cars to run off this stuff they will run like rockets and there will be no more need for gasoline. The only thing the Petroleum Industry would then be good for would be to oil the engines and to lubricate the chassis etc.... Oh Brother....anyway.... LMAO. YOU ASKED and this is a valid, totally logical alternative to gasoline.

Obviously, "Ignition" of such an engine would be quite an adventure and until perfected could prove to be quite lethal. If your car doesn't explode upon ignition y'alright. image

edited for spelling corrections now that I can see again.image
  • Options
    Here in Texas, not only am I getting hammered by the high gas prices, but also by the hefty electric bills. My last two electric bills were WAY up. That's hurting me as bad if not worse than the gas. As for coin purchases, I'm no longer buying any gold, and may cut it down to just the proof and mint sets. Those of you up north, if gas remains high, expect some hefty heating bills this winter, especially if it's a cold one.

I would love to see solar power be the way of the future, if we could just get past the obstacles. There's more energy coming from the sun than we could ever us at the present rate of consumption. And no reliance on other countries for much of our energy. image
  • Options
    Some solar powered race cars might be able to hit 100 mph but I doubt they can sustain it for long. The winner of this years Solar Challenge averaged 46 mph and that is up considerably from back when the race was founded. And yes you can increase the power by wiring more cells together, but every time you try and double the power you also double the surface area that needs to be covered by he cells. So even a single person vehicle requires so much surface area that it doesn't really strike me as being practical. since it would still have to be very light weight as well. A one person vehicle would still be around the same size as the SC cars. They don't have to go as fast, but the typical user would not be as lightweight as the racer

Boom what you are describing is the recovery of methane gas as the use of it as a fuel. Some areas of the country aleady have such things. They recover the methane fro their landfills, filter it, coprss it and use it to run vehicles. This is the same technology that is used in forklifts except they us propane instead of methane. Many communities have their mass transit running on compressed natural gas with is basicly methane. The problem is that it is much cheaper and easier to recover natural gas from oil wells or gas wells than to try and harness other biosources. Our local landfill recover the methan and uses it to heat their offices in the winter and the rest of the time they use it to power generators and sell electrical power to the local Co-op.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file