Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB Wild Card - Do You Like It?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
I have heard good arguments on both sides of the wild card debate.

Those for it say that it gives new life to what could otherwise be boring races...example, would Cleveland be playing as hard if they looked up in July and saw they were 15 out? But one could argue that the wild card gives those kinds of teams motivation to continue to play hard, with the light at the end of the tunnel being the wild card. They are within striking distance now because of the division - and one could argue that the hope of the wild card berth is the reason why.

Those against it says it cheapens the work the division winners went through in order to get to the post season...that it's like backing into the playoffs, like they didn't deserve it.

I am for it...I think it adds a lot more depth to the stretch run of MLB....thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

I said it before and I will say it again. The Wild Card is the best thing that happened to the game of baseball in years. All other major sports let non-division winners get in. Basketball and Hockey don't call it the Wild Card but it really is. I think the increased fan interest far outweighs the possible watering down effect.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    im all in favor of 2 more teams in each league going. 162 games and only 4 used to make it that is stupid. now 8, id vot for 12! imagine the rise in attendance for every team within a couple of games in sept!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

I can't believe it!! Axtell and Gemmy agree!!!

As far as the wild card - love it, love it, love it!

Shane

• Options
    I think the Wild Card is a necessary evil. In theory, it's stupid, overly extends the long season, and unfairly allows a lesser team to play cinderella. On the other hand, with so many teams in baseball these days, it's completely practical, and virtually necessary. One thing that bugs me though is when the media and fans talk about "pennant races" in September. Pennant races existed when teams raced for the pennant towards the end of a season because when they won their league, they won their league pennant and went to the world series. It's the distinction between "playoffs" and "post-season". Hard to talk about pennant races in September when there will still be potentially 14 more games left in October before one team can actually claim the league pennant.
  • Options
    I'm sure that I'm the only one who feels this way but not only am I against the Wild Card, I'm against the wildly expanded leagues and multiple divisons. Back when there was one "division" in each league, you KNEW that the best, most deserving teams played each other in the World Series.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I like the wild card. If it wasn't for that, a lot more teams would have nothing to play for after the all-star break most seasons. I don't think any further expansion is needed, though - 4 teams in each league is just right.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    PHILS PHILS PHILS!!!!!