Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ever seen a card even remotely like this before?

Link

I'm incredibly confused. As the picture shows, none of three parts to the card--name, team, and photo--match each other in any way possible. It's described as a error with corrections made, but has anyone ever seen a correct card like this? And who is Dennyson Corp., and when/why would they make hologram cards for Topps?

E-mailing the seller to try and get more info revealed that the seller knows no more than what's been provided in the item description--he places his date of acquisition at between 1985-1987. But that just makes me scratch my head more since the card uses the border design of the 1989 Topps set.

I'm not even debating whether to bid on this item ($99 for a mystery object is too big a dice roll for me), but any solid info on this card's origins would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Peter G.
Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"

Comments

• Options
    i think this was a give away at denny's restaurants when you bought a grand slam meal or something like that. it's probably worth a dime?
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennison Corp. was indeed in Framingham, MA - and they were a manufacturer of various die cut paper products. They have been out of business for 8 or 9 years now (at that location). I used to live a few blocks from there.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    I could be wrong but i'd say it's definetly not Denny's. They never looked like an 89 Topps card.
    A couple of Trammell collectors on the set registry board might be able to chime in on this one.

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    That's funny. How in the hell could they get the name, team and picture all wrong. Must have been on purpose from some joker at the factory. Denny's did give away hologram cards during the early 90s and I'm sure this is one of them. Is that Mark Davis pictured? Only way it's worth $99 is if the name is Johnny Unitas, the picture is of Babe Ruth, and the team is the Chicago Bulls. then you might get some player/team collectors fighting over it.

Lee
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

i think all Denny's cards were produced by Upper Deck.. ?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Yes, all Denny's were made by Upper Deck. Also, I do not remember any "Hologram" cards coming out in 1989, at least by major manufacturers
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Homemade then?

Lee
  • Options
    Not all Denny's cards were made by Upper Deck. The 1996 Denny's cards were made by Pinnacle.

Is the card standard card size? How did he know that Dennison made that card? Is it a card or a sticker?

Very Interesting item. Who is the collector on these boards that has the 1990 Topps Mylar test stickers. He may be able to help you out.
    Jason
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    when did refractor technology come out?

it could be home-made ...but that doesnt make any sense.

it would cost a lot to get the right paper ...etc..a scammer would have gone for clemens ..or bonds.

weird card!

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who is the collector on these boards that has the 1990 Topps Mylar test stickers. He may be able to help you out.
    Jason >>

if anybody knows anything about it, it will be Bobsbbcards..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Looks trimmed, too.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's homemade, but there has got to be home PC technology out there where you can take a jpeg or gif and print it onto a hologram. But you're right, it wouldn't make sense to do it with this obscure combo of players/teams. However, if he knew that we'd know that he knew that we'd know that it was too obscure to make, then....... BAM!! He's got us. By the way, I've been drinking. Why I would come on a sportscard forum while intoxicated is anybody's best guess. Remember when Holograms were the best inserts card companies could muster. Been a long time since them days.

Lee
  • Options
    That is quite possibly the strangest card I've seen. I can't think that the seller is on the money with his timeframes. He's trying to say that Topps planned the design for the '89 cards 4 years prior? I mean, obviously some planning is involved but I'm not buying even a test design being printed 4 years early. Not to mention the holo quality. Theory: Maybe Dennyson Corp was submitting to Topps to obtain a contract for a future release and was just giving a sample of their printing capabilities. No way to find out if Dennyson Corp was ever paid by Topps, but maybe Topps liked the design and paid them for rights or did indeed sub 'em out for the '89 set.

CDz...this one's for you, you may need it to get rid of that headache....image
    Collecting: Pretty much anything and everything, but raw '62s, Ripken and anything from my boys in Steeltown take top priority.
  • Options
    There's NO WAY this card is older than 1992 or so. Rembember when UD came in with the hologram as security on the back of the 89's? It was a big deal at the time since it was new technology. Then it was a big deal again in 90 or 91 when they made a full holo card (the MJ inserts and Aaron heroes insert). Topps didnt have any hologram product that early in the game.

My completely unfounded guess would be that this is some kind of sticker from a supermarket vending machine...
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    When I saw the card, it reminded me of both the Denny's hologram cards and the '90 Topps Mylar stickers. I seriously doubt that it could precede 1989, but the technology was definitely around immediately after that time period to produce something like that. It's tempting to pick up, but not at that price (even if it's real).
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Alan Trammell in a Padres uniform?

Explain that one to me.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I am baffled. By the position of his arm, it looks like the card of a pitcher. Also, correct me if I am wrong but I thought the Padres wore brown jersey's or pinstrip uniforms with "Padres" across the front in the late 80's/early 90's (not the interlocked SD). I thought the grey uniforms on this card came out in the mid to late 90's (about the time Ricky Henderson was playing for them)? Looks like a ridiculous chop job to me. If he gets that much for it though, more power to him! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    He's had the card 20 years, and its a 1989 issue? He could use a refresher course in math.

Unless the nap i just woke up from lasted four years.
  • Options
    I would go with a 1989 test proof when Topps was trying thier "refractor" technology. A lot of the early Fleer "proofs" have blank backs with the player names, teams, and even photos not matching up......
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of the early Fleer "proofs" have blank backs with the player names, teams, and even photos not matching up...... >>

Good point. The '82 Fleer Test cards have that same scrambled name/team/picture thing going on (like Cal Ripken's picture with Dave Ford's name). Topps did this same thing with the Puffy Sticker prototypes from 1980 (scan shown below, coincidentally also showing Dave Ford).

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not saying it's homemade, but there has got to be home PC technology out there where you can take a jpeg or gif and print it onto a hologram. >>

I'm *far* from a physics expert, but I'm pretty sure that holograms are quite a bit more difficult to create than this. IIRC, you need to have two lasers hitting the "film" (or whatever it's called) at the same time but from different angles to create a hologram. (Granted, that's how I made them back in about 1991 in my research physics class in high school...I guess things may have changed since then.)