Home Sports Talk
Options

So where will Les Saints play --

-- if Nouvelle Orleans is closed down for a couple of months?
Ed

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    astrodome seems likely or lsu!
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Looking at the devastation surrounding the stadium and downtown area, I would be surprised if they play there at all this year.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Hundreds, maybe thousands dead and all we can sit here and do here is wonder where they will freaking play football!! I went
    out to lunch today and felt like crap..sitting there eating whatever I wanted and going back to the drink machine when I wanted
    a drink.

I can guarentee you that there are thousands of people who could care less where the saints are going to play. They are
    probably wondering things like."where am Im going to get water" and "how am I going to feed my kids"!!

Make a difference folks! Buy some supplies and donate them, send a check to red cross. Ebay makes it easy...auction off some
    cards for the people of this horrific event. It takes effort but they need us

Thanks
    Kevin
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Not to sound heartless, but there are pressing concerns outside of relief for the flood victims.

Yes it's a horrific tragedy...but it's a fair question to ask where the saints will play this year. I doubt they'll play a single game there this year, but playing where LSU would be the most feasible choice, though it gives a distinct disadvantage to the Saints as they are a dome team. I think they'd prefer a location where there's a dome, but at this point, am sure they are open to most anything.

• Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

Well said, Kevin. I was thinking the exact same thing. Who freaking cares about football in New Orleans. Like Kevin said, make a donation
  • Options

<< <i>Well said, Kevin. I was thinking the exact same thing. Who freaking cares about football in New Orleans. Like Kevin said, make a donation >>

Who cares about football in NO? Perhaps having their football team would be a matter of civic pride for the people who have been battered in ways we've never dreamt about? Maybe it's a way for the people who have been through hell in the past week to forget about it, even if it's for a few hours, and have their lives return to normal?

It disgusts me when people feel we should cower under any adverse situation and have these massive pity parties and cry out 'woe is me!' and think that the people in these affected areas should just sit and let us take care of them. Why don't you put yourself in their shoes for a minute...would you rather your team, a source of civic pride for years and years, close up shop completely or would you prefer to have them play, have them play their hearts out knowing they are doing so for you?

It's the same mentality after 9/11...people felt we shouldn't rush back on the field 'too soon'...why? What better way to stand up to whatever it was that hurled your life into chaos (whether it's a hurricane or suicidal bombers) than by doing the things that you did before?

Yes donate...but don't sit there and think these people don't want their team playing on sundays.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    They will either play at Reliant Park or the Big Shoe Box in San Antonio. They will not play games at the Astrodome; it's the current home to about 30,000 evacuees.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Ax

That has to be your most pathetic post of the year. I hope you never have to go though what these people are going through. This isn't
    something that just fixes itself overnight, this will be affecting people for years.

Its sad that you think people who just watched their house get thrown 4 city blocks and are now living on street corners or in stadiums
    with no air or lights,are now thinking about things other than Christ on Sunday! Civic pride you say?? How about just plain survival first??

I went to Walmart today to pick up some jugs of water and was happy to see that there wasn't a bottle on the shelf. made me
    smile.

JS
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    un freaking believable.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Ax

That has to be your most pathetic post of the year. I hope you never have to go though what these people are going through. This isn't
    something that just fixes itself overnight, this will be affecting people for years.

Its sad that you think people who just watched their house get thrown 4 city blocks and are now living on street corners or in stadiums
    with no air or lights,are now thinking about things other than Christ on Sunday! Civic pride you say?? How about just plain survival first??

I went to Walmart today to pick up some jugs of water and was happy to see that there wasn't a bottle on the shelf. made me
    smile.

JS >>

Stalin as usual you missed the point of my post.

I sympathize with those people...it's awful. But do you really think they want to sit around and wait and wait for the rebuilding to start? Or do you not think they'd like to have a small getaway where they can forget about the flooding and all the hell they've been through, even if it's for a few hours?

When did I say it would fix itself overnight? When did I say that these people shouldn't be feeling down...I was simply saying that the Saints are huge source of pride for the people in the community...and getting the saints back on the field will be a step in helping get these people's lives back to normal.

And what wonderful insight as usual WP. Thanks for adding!
  • Options
    And what wonderful insight as usual WP. Thanks for adding!

nothing like being combative, what makes you think my post was in anyway in reference to what you posted?

you have a serious problem.

practice what you preach

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>And what wonderful insight as usual WP. Thanks for adding!

nothing like being combative, what makes you think my post was in anyway in reference to what you posted?

you have a serious problem.

practice what you preach

SD >>

Pot, meet kettle.

• Options
    always have to have the last word huh axhole?

pot meet kettle? hmmm interesting.

Are you always this much of a jerk?

Good for you.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

Axtey and Shanty-Townie use the Pot-Kettle expression all the time. It is all the rage with them.
  • Options

<< <i>always have to have the last word huh axhole?

pot meet kettle? hmmm interesting.

Are you always this much of a jerk? >>

I call em like I see em.

Funny, you bring up the fact you feel I have to have the last word, yet over and over and over YOU DO THE SAME EXACT THING.

• Options
    Just being like you axhole, just being like you.

SD

easy boy or you will blow a gasket.

easy.....
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

easy boy or you will blow a gasket.

easy..... >>

You're the one who gets so worked up he has to try to get in the last word every time.

I think you'll be blowing something...maybe not a gasket...but something.
  • Options
    i know it wont help any but wouldnt it be nice to see the saints win in the playoffs this year for the first time. would bring the city together. sports does help a lot of people believe or not..

it is unreal what has happened down there in my opionion its just as bad or worse then 9-11 in new york! the effect of the hurricane is now reaching as far north as where i live in atlanta. gas prices went from 2.53 to 5$ a some stations today.

whicj is crazy bc the some of the stations have good people owning them keeping prices at 3$ or less and some others are rear ending people at 5$ a gallon!

I am not b$tching about the gas just making a point. i know people down south from here its crazy!

quick question though?? when a city tells you to evacuate why do you stay home and act like a gi joe? many of cities have been through this, i went through hugo in 1991. when they say drive out of state do it.
  • Options
    You're the one who gets so worked up he has to try to get in the last word every time.

lol just like you boy just like you

SD

Hey didn't i tell you to FO?

if not FO
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Chris some could not afford to get out. Some just had no way out.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Chris some could not afford to get out. Some just had no way out.

Steve i know that but its not like a tornado you have 3-5 days to get going.. you know what i mean? i have been through both and a tornado is much worse bc you have no warning. hurricane you do. i understand some cant get get out but a 3 day warning if there is a will there is a way.
  • Options
    The people staying are staying to loot. Which is hillarious because where are they going to put all the crap they're stealing?

I'd declare everyone out of the city, and anyone looting would be shot on sight. Those people who are using this opportunity to try and profit (gas stations you mentioned) should be shut down. Profiteering in time of tragedy is unfathomable.

Where's the department of homeland security? Why don't we have troops and resources on tap for this type of emergency?

• Options
    I hear ya, but it was the end of the month and many were broke. some just figured they would ride it out. many of those people live from paycheck to paycheck.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I hear ya, but it was the end of the month and many were broke. some just figured they would ride it out. many of those people live from paycheck to paycheck.

your right im being a little harsh! its hard to leave!

quick question though? have any other countries offered any help? i mean usa is there for everyone has anyone offered to help us? i watch to much sports not much news so i dont know?

if not its kinda fvcked up we keep helping evryone other country and no one helps us?
  • Options

<< <i>I hear ya, but it was the end of the month and many were broke. some just figured they would ride it out. many of those people live from paycheck to paycheck.

your right im being a little harsh! its hard to leave!

quick question though? have any other countries offered any help? i mean usa is there for everyone has anyone offered to help us? i watch to much sports not much news so i dont know?

if not its kinda fvcked up we keep helping evryone other country and no one helps us? >>

When we kicked everyone in the teeth after 9/11 and invaded iraq, when we threw aside the UN and went our own course, we pretty much sealed our fate with that. Remember Bush's initial donation of a few million for Tsunami relief? What do you think the rest of the world wants to help us after we've ignored everyone else for the past few years?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Hundreds, maybe thousands dead and all we can sit here and do here is wonder where they will freaking play football!! I went
    out to lunch today and felt like crap..sitting there eating whatever I wanted and going back to the drink machine when I wanted
    a drink.

I can guarentee you that there are thousands of people who could care less where the saints are going to play. They are
    probably wondering things like."where am Im going to get water" and "how am I going to feed my kids"!!

Make a difference folks! Buy some supplies and donate them, send a check to red cross. Ebay makes it easy...auction off some
    cards for the people of this horrific event. It takes effort but they need us

Thanks
    Kevin >>

Post of the month. Well done, Kevin.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember the sentiment after 9/11? Does anyone remember the immortal Jack Buck's words at the start of the first baseball game after that tragedy?

"I don't know about you, but as for me, the question has already be answered. Should we be here, yes." said Buck prior to the start of the first game after 9/11. There are a great number of parallels between the 2 events. On our soil, thousands dead, people asking how and why did this happen.

"Sports have always been an important channel for fans emotions. And according to a study by Dr. Christian End of University of Missouri Rolla, it's more important than ever for fans to go to events. "We found that people, who's being a sports fan is an important identity to them, reported higher intentions to attend sporting events post 9-11 in comparison to those who were assigned to a condition where they imagine the events of 9-11 not occurring," Dr. End explained.

After the attacks, baseball debated whether or not to come back and play. It did come back, and along with baseball, Americans tried to find a sense of normalcy."

Yes it was absolutely terrible what happened. But to give in and just sit and mourn? That would be against the very fiber of america by not standing up to fight back.

• Options
    Remember Bush's initial donation of a few million for Tsunami relief? What do you think the rest of the world wants to help us after we've ignored everyone else for the past few years?

Not to be combative here but Axtell you need to check your facts before you make such outlandish claims.

The USA and it's people gave hundreds of millions of dollars to tsunami relief and continue doing so to this day.

Bush's initial 7 million dollar pledge was for assesment. that jerk from the UN blew it out of proportion.

Chris to answer your question, no I have yet to hear if any of our allies have come to our aid. It has been just 3 days since this incident happened though. Alos many of the other countries can barely afford to help there own how would they help us?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Ax, I definitely agree that the Saints should play. And, the city will benefit to a large degree from having them playing - even if it's for a diversion from the grim reality that they will be facing for a long time. I just think that to ask the question less than 48 hours after this hurricane passed about where they will play this season, seems to be somewhat shallow. There are bigger things to worry about for those people, and that city - than football. Especially right now. Reports are that the looting in the city is becoming uncontrollable, and that there could be thousands dead.

• Options
    Bush offered 7 million...you stated it yourself. Once it was leaked, he immediately upped the offer to $25, but I doubt had there not been a public outcry, he wouldn't have given more.

I never once mentioned the millions that the citizens of this country have outpoured...what I was referring to will be the reluctancy of foreign governments to get involved in helping the US. Yes the US has given countless money through the years, but this administration has made an art of alienating our most long-standing allies, and I suspect you may find few governments with the means to help, or the willingness to do so.
  • Options
    Remember Bush's initial donation of a few million for Tsunami relief

you said a few! seven is much more then a few. and it was for assesment purposes. jeese is everything an argument with u?

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Remember Bush's initial donation of a few million for Tsunami relief

you said a few! seven is much more then a few. and it was for assesment purposes. jeese is everything an argument with u?

SD >>

Forget it. You ask if everything is an argument with me, yet you're arguing that seven million is much more than a few million?

Talk about hypocritical...it's sad that even a debate such as this is subject to your ridiculous posts.

Good night gracie.
  • Options
    The problem with most of this, is rescue just can't even get to most of these places! New Orleans is now 95% under water. There are huge
    200 foot sections of I-10 completly gone! If you aren't familiar with geography, there are only a few ways into Orleans...I-10 and
    LA-90..both are impassble. The only way in is by boat or helicopter! You can send all the people you want but they just can't
    get into the cities of Louisana and Mississippi.

If you think its bad now, what is it going to look like when the waters finally go down and all the dead are exposed, mixed with the rubble
    of entire cities?? Not to underplay what happened in NY, but that was one city block of destruction. This is and entire coast of destruction!

Frustration is going to set in very very quickly. It only took a few days last year when three big ones hit Florida..people wanted to go back
    to their homes...many had to wait up to a week!! People in Mississippi and New Orleans are going to have to wait weeks if not months!

Andrew was bad, but this will prove to be much worse. If you can't help out with your wallet, at least help out with your prayers.

kevin
  • Options
    Yes donate...but don't sit there and think these people don't want their team playing on sundays.

Do you honestly think the people of - not just New Orleans, but the whole Gulf Coast - are really thinking about the Saints? Or anything other than finding their friends and relatives? Even those that were able to evacuate have lost everything they own, their homes, their jobs, - everything.

I'm in California now, and have been a Saints fan my whole life, but if I can locate my friends and family in New Orleans I don't care if the Saints never play another game anywhere.

I'm not going to get into a debate about this, but if you actually believe half of what you've written in this thread, you really need to reevaluate your priorities.

Kevin, for once I appreciate the comments of a Bucs fanimage Thanks

John Vineyard

• Options

<< <i>
    I'm not going to get into a debate about this, but if you actually believe half of what you've written in this thread, you really need to reevaluate your priorities.
    >>

Was I saying it should be the number one priority? You people sure are quick to judge.

I simply said that reestablishing the game for the citizens of the region would be a huge boost to morale, just like when the teams took the field in NY again after 9/11. You of course are entitled to your opinion, but I'd be willing to bet you ask any new yorker how they felt watching their teams go back onto the field that first time, and they'll tell you it took them away from the fear of what had happened, and it gave them a brief respite of the horrible things they had gone through.
  • Options
    I totally agree with Kevin.

I think the Saints will play at LSU, but I can't see how this is of any significance to anyone in New Orleans. Honestly if the city I live in (Atlanta) ever went through what happened in New Orleans, I sure as hell wouldn't be thinking of football…

Brian
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the NFL might cancel these final preseason games but I've got no big problem with them not doing it - but I think they should have canceled this basically useless last preseason game. The coaches already 99% know who has made the team - most 100% know.

As for those looters...these people don't understand the consequences of their actions and it has nothing to do with the moral aspects of stealing. People in very poor third world countries have lived in unsanitary poverty stricken areas for generations. They have built up a bit of an immunity to the various bacterias, etc. These looters do not have these immunities. Most of them are going to become deftly sick or dead from staying around and rummaging through this bacteria laden filth and debris. Lot of good those pocket full of diamonds are going to do them when they soon keel over dead.
  • Options
    I do not think you can compare 9/11 and Katrina. 9/11 was confined to a small area in NYC. katrina meanwhile has devasted the entire gulf coast.

I understand Aztell's opinion it has some merit. Possibly in a month or 2.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I just think that to ask the question less than 48 hours after this hurricane passed about where they will play this season, seems to be somewhat shallow. There are bigger things to worry about for those people, and that city - than football. Especially right now.

ctsox - just using this statement as an example only ... not a personal attack by any means

This is a SPORTS TALK forum, so the question in the title is a legit one. As a matter of fact, I think it is a HUGE questions. It in no way implies any feelings of non-empathy for the people affected by Katrina. It is a shame what happened, and even though this is no one's business except my family's - I donated. I will try to do some more if I can.

But again, this is a SPORTS TALK forum. That doesn't mean we cannot talk about other things such as the devastation Katrina created. The New Orleans Saints and their fans are affected by this. The opener is right around the corner.

Where will they play?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where will they play? >>

As I said earlier, it will either be at Reliant Park or the Alamo Dome.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    CNN reports that the Saints will play the home opener in NJ where they will play the Giants.

I wonder how season ticket holders will get to Giants Stadium?

or if they will make it an away game?

SD

Good for you.