Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unethical eBayer??

I've been monitoring a certain card on eBay. It is a 10-day auction, and it began with a starting bid of $245. and a "Buy it now" for $395. After a day or two, and NO bids, the seller UPPED his starting bid to $295. Again, another couple days passed, and still NO bids. Now, i've checked again, and the starting bid was raised to $325., and the "Buy it now" still at $395. Is this even ethical?? Seems kinda strange to me--if no one entered a starting bid at $245., what makes this guy think that by RAISING the starting bid that he's going to get more action on it?? I've never seen anything like this before!

Comments

• Options
    The seller is just getting nervous and doesnt want it sniped at the 245.00 price.....
  • Options
    what would be "unethical" about it? No one has bid yet so he can do what he wants with the price.
    Just like any other business in the world.

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    It probably has something to do with his cost being directly proportional to gasoline prices.
  • Options

<< <i>It probably has something to do with his cost being directly proportional to gasoline prices. >>

Aint that the truth
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with that, I've done the same thing in the past. If people don't bid, then you have every right to change anything in your auction. The problem is with people who place items on their watch list and don't have a bid in on the item. When a seller sees 15 people watching their item and their starting price is lower than the normal selling price, they don't want to lose out.

Thus if you see something at a price you are willing to pay, you are better off placing the minimum bid and securing the starting price and removing the BIN.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thus if you see something at a price you are willing to pay, you are better off placing the minimum bid and securing the starting price and removing the BIN. >>

Absolutely. If all the buyers are laying in wait with poised snipes, they aren't buyers yet. The seller can do whatever he wants and it's perfectly ethical and above board.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Thus if you see something at a price you are willing to pay, you are better off placing the minimum bid and securing the starting price and removing the BIN. thats the smart thing to do,but so few buyers do it!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thus if you see something at a price you are willing to pay, you are better off placing the minimum bid and securing the starting price and removing the BIN. >>

Absolutely. If all the buyers are laying in wait with poised snipes, they aren't buyers yet. The seller can do whatever he wants and it's perfectly ethical and above board. >>

ditto
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I did that recently with a Ryan Howard Bowmans Best RC. They had been selling for about $22-$24 and the seller had a BIN of $32.95, I put in the minimum bid of $19.99 and it ended up selling for over $40, go figure
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Interesting! I didn't realize that just by putting in a MINIMUM bid, that this "un-did" the Buy It Now option! I just hope it doesn't "backfire" and wind up costing MORE than if i'd just bit the bullet and paid the "Buy It Now" price! I guess that's what keeps this exciting.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    It only eliminates the BIN option if there is no reserve, I believe.

To paraphrase a popular expression: If the BIN is fly, you gotta buy.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    The entire Reserve thing is a joke. They are useless, unless you want several bids placed.

If you want no less than $500 for your item, why not just start it at $500. Either way, you are going to pay the same as starting it at $500, and if you have a reserve, the reserve fee also.

Back in the day it used to be worth using the reserve function, but not anymore.

Truly if you want to save fees and have a nice card, you might be best off starting it at .99 cents, No Reserve, and make it Pre-Approved Bidding. A lot of times, you'll get an offer to end early and if you get an offer to your liking, then you post a BIN at the agreed upon price.