Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

???

What does itmean when a coin has a red coating on it?
my aim is jerkwad999

Comments

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Did someone give it to you?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    I have one from Portugal that my dad gave me, and a few others but I cant remember what they are.
    my aim is jerkwad999
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red coating, as in bright red, like red paint?

Nail polish, to be more specific?

I once had a quarter that had been painted with red nail polish. I've seen blue ones, too. A dealer friend of mine said, "Yeah, sure, that's a hokewater".

I said, "Hokewater? Whaaaat?"

He said "Ho. Quater." As in, "a prostitute's twenty-five cent piece".

This left me even more baffled.

Then he told me that in some houses of ill repute, it is the habit of the ladies of the evening to paint their quarters with their particular shade of nail polish, so that when the jukebox and other vending machines are emptied, she gets her money back and each lady can identify her particular quarters.

So the story goes, anyway. It could just as well have been somebody bored who decided to paint a quarter (or other coin), for no particular reason.

It could be a hokewater. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Many years ago, when "jukeboxes" were in everday use......... Typically, the jukeboxes were not owned by the establishment in which they were located..... They were owned by guys like "Tony Three-Toes" or "Guido"........... The establishment and the owner of the machine had an "arrangement" on how the proceeds were split 50-50 / 60-40 / etc....... The "red coins" were used by the barkeepers or other house employees to operate the jukebox during slack periods...... When the coins were emptied, the "red coins" were returned to the establishment BEFORE the division of the remaining proceeds !!!!!!!!!!
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Death to the Toreys!
  • Options
    Its actually dark red.
    my aim is jerkwad999
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago people coated quarters with red nail polish in an attempt to fool vending machines. I don't recall exactly how the scam worked. Anyone else know?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    my aim is jerkwad999

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file