Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collecting different Design Types of a denomination.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Below is part of a message I sent to a member some time ago regarding a coin he had asked some questions about.

I’d expect the pictured coin to holder at MS65FS with PCGS so long as the luster is full and unbroken. Post WWII Jefferson’s are notorious for weak strikes from the Philadelphia and San Francisco Mints as evidenced by the PCGS pop report; other members would realize that if they actually looked at hundreds/thousands of coins and didn’t just “blanket grade” the series. Beginning in the early 1950’s, the Denver Mint follows that lead with progressively weaker strikes as the Master and the subsequent working dies wear, a problem not corrected until 1970. This 1946 Philly shows sharply struck surfaces on the obverse and slight weakness throughout the Monticello, not uncommon.

I always find it puzzling that that otherwise knowledgeable dealers/collectors seem so ignorant to the Jefferson series strike anomalies I mentioned above. They’ll readily acknowledge the weaknesses of LibNics regarding the obverse hair and the reverse left corn ear and are all to keenly aware of branch mint differences within the Buffalo series…………………but can’t stretch that line of thinking ahead a few years.

If you collect different series' within the same denomination, do you encounter the same type of seeming ignorance I spoke of, dealers who are aware of the strike nuances within one series but unable to learn the simplicities of another?? How would you explain that??

Al H.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file