Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1933 Goudey official thread

Copying from the 1972 set, I thought I'd start the 1933 Goudey official thread.
I just picked up a bunch of new cards from the Mastro auction and was excited about it and wanted to show off!

Here's my set in the PSA Registry #9 with almost zero chance of going higher, ever.

46 Allen PSA 8 Pop 12, 1 higher
49 Frisch PSA 8 Pop 10, 1 higher
74 Rixey PSA 8 Pop 16, 0 higher
157 Byrd PSA 8 Pop 15, 0 higher
174 Ogden PSA 8, Pop 11, 1 higher
186 Schulte PSA 8 Pop 14, 3 higher
192 Brown PSA 8 Pop 12, 0 higher
202 Hartnett PSA 8 Pop 22, 3 higher
225 Jurges PSA 8 Pop 13, 0 higher

In a few days, I should be getting the following upgrades in the mail:

10 Myatt PSA 5 (I have a PSA 3, this card is impossible to find, I may have to be happy with a 5 for a few years)
102 Jackson PSA 8
160 Gehrig PSA 7 (upgrade from a PSA 8oc)
168 Goslin PSA 8

I'm real excited because I'm gettting close to getting this whole set in PSA 7 or higher. There are a couple of tough cards to go still - 53 and 106, the two most expensive in the set, but those will be fun as the last pieces to the set.

Some tough cards that I may never upgrade:
12 Pipgras 8MC - the top and bottom borders are so thin that I can see how it is tough to get this card centered. There are so few 7s and higher - even a 6 will be tough to find at a fair price. So I'll be happy with this qualified card for a while
52 Cohen PSA 6 - I'm happy with my 6, at least it is a nice 6. Getting a 7 or 8 will mean battling out 3 or 4 guys that are currently ahead of me in the Registry set, and that would mean too many dollars.
55 Malone PSA 4 - I'm going to send my PSA 4 back in to see if I can get a 5 (or a miraculous 6). It certainly looks better than a 4. A 6 went for $400 recently and a 8 went for $13K recently, so 7 or 8 may be out of the question.

I'm looking forward to other registry owners and what they think. Or anyone interested in this great set.

Would it be ok for me to post my upgrades and updates to my set? Or is that too much?

Comments

• Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love the 33 & 34 Goudey sets. Just want to say a quick thanks for sharing pictures of your cards in the registry.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    what a wonderful set!

its nice that you took time to scan all the cards and even make comments.

I bought a Luque from Jay ..a beautiful PSA 3 that has just a some light glue residue on the back.

even though i collect Diamond Stars , i would have to choose 33 goudeys as the top 30's set!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I have a problem with those guys that are listed in the registry but keep their list of cards closed. What's the point? Just collect your own set if you want to keep it private. Props also to Jason Glasser and Mike Murray, they both have scans of all of their cards. And Steve has the best PSA 4 I have ever seen - in the Lajoie card.

Steve, if you are reading this - why is that a 4? Is there an issue on the back? Great card!
  • Options
    Great to see this thread, I too am working on this set, my pocketbook has dictated my set in the PSA 5/6 range. 62.50% there and I do plan on going to 100% and getting the #106 card, there are a bunch of good guys collecting this set and I have done trades with MANY of the registry members. Curious on others thought regarding recent pricing....I am seeing prices in the PSA 5/6 range up 12 to 18% over the past 18 months, curious what others are seeing?
  • Options
    kennylow...how have you accumulated your set? Mostly raw or already graded? Ebay, card shows, dealers, mastro, other auctions?

thanks
  • Options

<< <i>how have you accumulated your set? Mostly raw or already graded? Ebay, card shows, dealers, mastro, other auctions? >>

Almost all already graded. I can't recall any cards in my main set that I had submitted raw, except for a handful of cards that I cracked that were in SGC or GAI holders (btw, the majority came back lower than the SGC/GAI grades) or re-submitted a previously PSA graded card.

As for where I get them - you name it, I've gotten it from that venue.

Ebay - many cards.
    Card shows - mostly from the National, the other small shows that I've been too don't have that many cards. I picked up 5 HOFer PSA 8s at the National from 707. 4 of them had 8s in the recent Mastro auction (different card of course), and I'm proud to say that I paid 35% less than the final Mastro price. It would have been even higher if I had to get involved. It was a gamble that paid off.
    Mastro - bought a few cards there. the prices always make me feel like throwing up, however, some of the cards are impossible to find anywhere else - the Frisch for example - I've haven't seen it in a 8 in the past year that I've been collecting - and my friend (with a better set than mine) says he hasn't seen one in the 4 years he's been collecting - he bought his in a big swap with another collector. So sometimes you just have to do what Tom Cruise did in Risky Business and say "what the f---" and go for it.

Trading with other collectors - this is a great thing. I am ok with 6s, but would prefer 7s and 8s. I know others that are ok with 5s, so they don't mind giving up a 6 here or there if they can get a bunch of 5s back. I did a nice trade with KansasJayhawk, I think we are both thrilled with it. I got the 5 Babe Herman and the 50 Ed Brandt in PSA 6s from him. He was able to replace those cards in 5s as well as get a few solid 5s from me that furthered his set. That made me feel better when I had to drop out of the bidding on those cards in PSA 8 in the recent Mastro auction because they were just mind boggling numbers. I've also done a couple of deals where I gave up a few 8s and gotten a bunch of 7s back. And one deal where I traded 4 PSA 8 1934 Goudeys for 4 PSA 8 1933 Goudeys (same pops).

Buying from other collectors - I made three big lot purchases. One was a 86 card PSA 6 lot that I paid 23% over SMR from another collector that was selling off his 50% set. Another was a 70 card PSA 7 lot that I picked up from a Canadian guy. I took Amtrack from the boston area down to NYC when he had a business trip there, paid for the cards (wanted to make sure it was real), and took Amtrack right back home. It took me 10 hours but was well worth it. Another was a 30 card PSA 7 lot of which the collector had already upgraded to 8s.

It's been a ton of fun so far, and I think it will be even more fun as I slowly fill in the missing pieces.
  • Options
    I think the higher prices are here to stay. For commons, it used to be safe to put in $45 bids for PSA 5, $100 for PSA 6 and $180 for PSA 7 and have a fairly good chance of winning. Now it's an underdog. Also if you noticed, several buyers who are re-sellers have upped up their bids, especially in PSA 5s. It really does feel there are more people putting together mid-range sets (PSA 4s thru PSA 7s), and that pretty much mirrors the increased demand in other vintage cards as well.
  • Options
    It was a pleasure trading with Kennylow, and I agree it was a win -win, BTW if/when you upgrade your #1 Bengough card let me know image
  • Options
    Actually I have already promised it to another collector that's willing to pay $2500 for my 6. We've done a ton of deals, and he's bought a bunch of my 6s that I upgraded. But all of it is moot anyway, because I don't find myself being aggressive enough to pay the $5000+ it takes to get a PSA 7. Personally, I think the card is overvalued. The pop report is about the same as the # 2 - #6 cards, but should it be worth so much more just because of a #1 on the back?
  • Options
    Hi guys - just wanted to saw howdy and introduce myself. I own the #12 set and it is also only one of 5 100% complete sets. My plan is to get rid of everything below PSA 5, except my Lajoie, which is a damn nice PSA 4. Kenny, why it is a 4 I don't know, as there are no issues of any type and the corners are just fine, thank you very much! Given the value of the card however I'm afraid to attempt a crackout and a resubmit!

I submitted my whole raw set in person to PSA at Cleveland last year, and was pretty pleased with the results. I built the raw set over the previous two years, with lots of help from Dave Levin and McAvoy Sportscards, the latter where I picked up a ton of nice raw cards at the Atlantic City National in 2003.

My goal is to eventually get at least to an overall 5.50 GPA. With this set I think a PSA 5 is a very respectable grade for any given card, and the prices being bid on the PSA 6's and 7's are insane (I ought to know, I'm one of the crazies buying at these levels).

I'm happy to say that I own two of the three "trinity" sets - the 1933 Goudey and the 1952 Topps - both 100% complete and in nice grades (my 1952 set has a 6.45 GPA). I have no interest in the T-206's however, so I guess I won't hit the trifecta!

Steve

PS - Since this thread was inspired by the 1972 thread, I'll toot my own horn a little more and say that I also have the #5 1972 set - 100% at 8.31 GPA. Sorry for the personal spam!
  • Options
    Hello Steve!
    Great set and major KUDOS on 100% complete! I am sure everyone collecting this set in any grade can appreciate the feat you have accomplished, and your #106 is a beauty. I was like Steve in that I had started the set raw had about 35% of the set and decided to send them all in for grading they all pretty much came back in the 5/6 range, then I looked at the top 6-7 cards in the set and knew I needed to stick to the PSA 5/6 to be able to afford 100% completion.

I find myself constantly upgrading my 5's with better 5's, and have spent the entire 2005 concentrating on the low numbers only, and am now only in need of #1 Bengough and #32 Clancy to have all of them out of the way. I am hoping to have the set done in a few years and am in no real hurry. Steve how long did it take to find your #106 card? Did you just see it at a show or let dealers know you were looking for one?

If anyone has a #1 or #32 card in PSA 5 or 6 to sell PLEASE let me know!

Chris
  • Options
    Update: I just added #53 Ruth and #1 Bengough both in PSA 7 !!!

Jayhawk - I will contact you if my friend can't muster up the finances to buy my PSA 6 Bengough.
  • Options
    Kennylow,
    I just noticed your addition, CONGRATS!!! You are also to be commended for the fine #53 card you picked up, that was a very nice card. Please let me know on the PSA 6 Bengough, I am still interested!
  • Options
    Kenny and Steve,

Great sets! I don't think I'll ever attempt another entire set, but I still collect multiple player sets in an attempt to assemble a nice type card set of everything out there.

I have a few of these. Here's one you both need - sorry, it's not for sale.

JEB.

• Options
    Chris,

I picked up my LaJoie from the April Mastro auction. I paid too much for it, but I can rationalize it as a long term investment. Did anyone see the PSA 7 #207 Mel Ott on eBay this afternoon? The hammer price was $1,736 and was won by someone with an eBay ID of drdanbern. I was a distant third bid at $1,234

SW
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Update: I just added #53 Ruth and #1 Bengough both in PSA 7 !! >>

Congrats on the Ruth, it's a beauty.
  • Options
    Jayhawk - sorry, my friend looked at the Bengough PSA 6 and liked it ... he took it.

Virtualizard - how about a trade? maybe another 7 for your Suhr PSA 7? If you are putting together a type card set, you don't need the Suhr in particular, right?

• Options
    Steve,

I don't know if you are interested in upgrading, but I have 2 PSA 8s, 3 PSA 7s and 2 PSA 6s (all dupes) if you are interested....I have listed them in my second set, currently ranked #26.

I'd be willing to trade for PSA 5s or 4s of cards I need, given the market value was the same (cash to balance it out would be fine too). If you have interest, email me (p.s. I'm sure we have done transactions before, Kenny Low is a pseudoname.).
  • Options

<< <i>...Virtualizard - how about a trade? maybe another 7 for your Suhr PSA 7? If you are putting together a type card set, you don't need the Suhr in particular, right? >>

Sorry, I do need the Suhr - it's part of my Gus Suhr set, which represents a small portion of my type set collection!

JEB.
  • Options
    I have this very nice PSA 5 #52 Cohen for trade, please PM offer if interested.

Thanks!

Cohen
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Nice scans virtual!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Virtual - cool Suhr collection. Now I must ask: who is Gus Suhr, and why is he important to you? I'm sure there is a great and fascinating story. I know other guys that collect Thevenow and Picinich because they are descendants - and that's really neat. Are you related to Gus Suhr in any way?
  • Options

<< <i>...Are you related to Gus Suhr in any way? >>

Kenny - not that I know of!

Ok, here's the story:

A friend and coworker of my sister is an autograph collector. He has a great collection of Pittsburgh Pirates autographs from players spanning well over a century. For several players, he has decided to collect every card and piece of memorabilia that he can find. A few years ago when I met him while visiting with my sister, he showed me his Gus Suhr collection. It was amazing, but the cards weren't in the best condition. Shortly after, I decided to expand my collection and attempt a type set that would include cards from the beginning of baseball card production up to 1990. I thought a fun way to do it would be to pick a player from a certain era and try to get every one of that player's cards. Gus Suhr covers 1925-1940. My Stargell set covers 1963-1983 and my Jim Rice set covers 1975-1990. I started a couple of others, but I really haven't decided on a player yet to fill in the gaps. 1941-1962 offers a few options, some will be very expensive. I'd welcome any suggestions.

I hope that clears it up.

JEB.
  • Options
    cool stuff. I really like your goal, it sounds like fun.

As for your 1941-1963 collection, I guess it may be best to look for a player that was a rookie in around 1941, then you'd get a long range of cards. Maybe someone like Yogi Berra or Stan Musial - their RCs are in the 1948 Bowman set. There were no major cards produced from between the 1941 Play Ball and the 1948 Bowman set, so maybe you can start with the 1948 Bowman cards.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Check this #53 Ruth out, it is an interesting card, very nice looking.....what kind of value would you place on this card and how did you reach that conclusion? I think the card will bring PSA 5 money in it's condition.
  • Options
    kennylow,

Fantastic set!!

I've also recently started collecting the 33 and 34 Goudey sets. Originally I started with just trying to get HOFers in 33 Goudey. But I've started picking up commons as well. Mostly looking for 7's. I realize this is a lofty goal, but I have no timeframe and I'm happy just picking up a few here and there. I don't have a 33 set listed on the registry yet, but I do have my 33 HOFer set listed and my 34 set listed. I have scans of all my cards.

Please contact me, I'm interested in some of those doubles in your second set. My Email

Thanks!
    Looking for:
    1953 Topps in PSA 8
    1941 Playball in PSA 8.
    1952-1955 Red Man cards in 7 and 8
    1950 Bowman in PSA 8
  • Options
    Just thought I'd add a few comments about the 33 Goudeys and try to continue this thread.

This year, three of the top ten guys on the registry have sold their sets. That is a very high turnover! Branca, Loaf and Mo. Branca's set is almost completely sold off, with only a few cards left probably in the next Mastro auction. Loaf sold most of his cards privately or through consignments via ebay (at least that's what I think he did). Mo sold his cards through the last couple of Mastro auctions.

I was the beneficiary of many of these cards and was able to pick up a bunch of 7s and 8s (only 2 missing cards in my set, and only 6 cards below PSA 7) due to these sales. From here on out though, I think there will be relatively few high grade cards for sale. When these guys sold their sets, it created a high level of turnover. Any guys who bought their cards in upgrades sold off their cards, and that really created a "filter-down" effect. Without many 8s and 7s for sale in the horizon, I think the market will be much less active after the next month or two of the filter down effect happening.

Even with this high turnover, or maybe because of it, prices in PSA 6s and 7s have increased over the past year. Normally, higher supply means lower prices, but in this case, I think it's possible that it actually raised prices! Why? Because maybe two or three (or more) people realized that they could actually complete their sets with the number of cards on ebay and in catalog auctions...so they decided to go for it. Without the cards for sale, I think some of these guys would have given up as it would take too long to complete. With supply possibly dwindling in the upcoming months, but set-builders already hooked, I think that can only mean higher prices coming up.

On another note - the Sotheby's auction had a few PSA 8s. I know the person who sold those cards...he bought them in the spring at stupid prices (just kept on outbidding anyone if he saw a cards he liked). I'm sure he lost about 25% of his investment, but that's due to his stupid buying habits rather than the market. The fact that Sothebys spaced out those cards throughout their auction, and the fact that it was a pain to register and bid on their auction - did not help them at all. I'm sure Sothebys is the right place to sell stuff for $10K stuff, but for a $2000 card, I don't think it's the best place for a seller.