Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Best way to sell high grade vintage fb sets??

New board person here. I'm looking for advice on selling a couple ex/mt - nm football sets from the early 50s. Should I grade a few? I don't want to invest in grading all 144 cards. Will they bring close to Beckett or SMR in raw state? Advice would be appreciated..........

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the fun! To get top dollar you need to grade as many of the star cards as you can afford, especially if there are any cards that really are worth more than the rest. I would also grade as many of the lesser stars that looked nm to nm/mt as you can. There are a lot of snakes in the grass out there selling trimmed/altered cards, so if they aren't graded ( I recommend PSA ) some people won't bid very high. No matter how many you grade, invest in a scanner if you don't have one, and post good scans.

I don't bid on anything any more if there isn't a good scan. Unless of course it is so cheap it doesn't matter if it ends up being garbage.

A couple of other tips; take as many forms of payment as possible, every time you restrict people's choices, you lose bidders, one other thing is a tough one, but start your bidding low. I have listed cards that are nm/mt and started the bidding at near what they are worth to protect myself from losing money on a card, and gottten no bids, then seen a poorer version of the same card start at .01, and quickly exceed what my opening bid was. It doesn't make any sense, but I have seen it regularly, if you get them bidding they tend to keep bidding. Be careful on that one though, you can get burned. Try to end you auction at a time when people would most likely be online, bidders like to bid at the end of an auction.

In the end you have to decide how much to invest in your cards in order to get the most bang for your buck.

Good luck and have fun with the hobby!

JoeBanzaiimage
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Hi,

What set are you looking to see and for how much? I might be interested.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    The 1952 Bowman large is the big $$ set.

I guess I may have to grade a bunch. Thanks
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    If you have any 60's sets for sale please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • Options
    what do you have for sale?