Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Victoria and Wilhelm Coronation medal additions

Though it is nowhere near as nice as Mac's, there are only 2203 to chose from. Silver 37mm 19.7gms. This makes a matched set in silver and bronze of this Pestrucci sculpted 1837 Accention to the Thrown Medals for my collectionimage

1840 Friedrich Wilhelm IV Coronation Medal Bronze 41.5mm 42gms Sculptor H.L.

Comments

• coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Meow! I especially like the first one.

-Dan
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful medals ... Victoria is my favorite image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    I love both medals image

The reverse legend of the German coronation medal reads:

ICH WILL EIN GERECHTER EIN TREUER SORGFAELTIGER BARMHERZIGER FÜRST EIN CHRISTLICHER KÃ�NIG SEIN

I want to be a fair abidingly careful merciful Prince and a christian King

I can't read the inscription below, it's too small.
    imageimage
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, The small print reads "ZUR FEIER DER HULDIGUNG KOENIGB.D. 10 Sept. Berlin D.15 Oct 1840"image
    To (commemorate) the ceremonies of obeisances (in) Königsberg (at the) 10th of Sept. and (in) Berlin (at the) 15th of Oct. 1840 image
    imageimage
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Nice Medals image I like both, and I also have the same Prussian one. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
    Do you happen to know the mintage of the Wilhelm medal? Or who the initials H.L. stand for as the sculptor?

<< <i>Do you happen to know the mintage of the Wilhelm medal? Or who the initials H.L. stand for as the sculptor? >>

I don't know where to find records of the mintages, but I think that in general, the "Huldigung" (Homage) medals are not too scarce. Several different ones were made over the years, for homage to different kings in different cities. I don't know the identity of H.L., but I've emailed a German dealer/friend who might know. I'll post again if I learn anything. Here's my medal. - Preussen

I agree with Preussen, it's almost impossible to find aout the mintage of medals. Those medals exist in silver also.

Silver examples was given to persons that were involved with the ceremony (for example organizers, singers etc.) in the majority of cases. Bronze medals were usually given to the (ordinary) people.

There is an (silver) example in an upcoming auction here in Germany, it grades "Prachtexemplar Stempelglanz," the esimate is 150 Euro.

The sculptor's name could/should be Carl Heinrich Lorenz, however I'm not sure about it so let's see what Preussen's friend says.

By the way Preussen, whom did you ask in Germany?
    imageimage

<< <i>There is an (silver) example in an upcoming auction here in Germany, it grades "Prachtexemplar Stempelglanz," the esimate is 150 Euro.

The sculptor's name could/should be Carl Heinrich Lorenz, however I'm not sure about it so let's see what Preussen's friend says.

By the way Preussen, whom did you ask in Germany? >>

Udo: In which auction is the Silver piece? I have a stack of catalogs, but haven't made time to really look yet.
    Too many auctions coming at once image

I was also thinking "Lorenz," but I wasn't sure either. I asked Dirk Loebbers, but haven't heard back from him yet. Do you know Dirk? - Preussen
    PM sent image
    imageimage

<< <i>The sculptor's name could/should be Carl Heinrich Lorenz, however I'm not sure about it so let's see what Preussen's friend says. >>

Udo - You Are Right (again)! image

I just received a confirmation from Dirk Loebbers. He agreed, citing a reference unknown to me..."Forrer." I've asked for more info about this. - Preussen
    Thanks, that is a great help. That medal is sharp, I love the colorimage