Home Sports Talk
Options

Alex Rodriguez could win the Triple Crown!!!!

ARod batting .320 now. Damon at .325. Jeter fell to .313 because 0-4 so far tonight. The only category ARod would really have to play catch up is RBI's but its possible.

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Thread Created on Monday August 29, 2005 5:47 PM :

"Jeter is going to win the American League Batting Title"

Thread Created on Monday 29, August, 2005 10:01 PM

"Alex Rodriguez could win the Triple Crown!!!!"

So which is it? In 4+ hours you changed your mind? I guess if you make a thousand predictions, one of them is going to be right?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Gemmy is not the fool here Axhole. For all your crying about his threads you seem to have to answer each and everyone of them
    I guess it has yet to occur to you that he is playing you. And playing you well i may add. but then again that is not hard to do.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    You gotta admit Ax has a great point here:

<< <i>Thread Created on Monday August 29, 2005 5:47 PM :

"Jeter is going to win the American League Batting Title"

Thread Created on Monday 29, August, 2005 10:01 PM

"Alex Rodriguez could win the Triple Crown!!!!"

So which is it? >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    It is possible for both to happen. The year that yaz won the triple crown I believe he tied for the lead in Homeruns.

As long as you lead (or tie) in HR RBI and AVG you can win the triple crown.

This is a case where you can lead and tie at the same time.

was this in Gemmy's mind at the time? dunno.

SD image
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>It is possible for both to happen. The year that yaz won the triple crown I believe he tied for the lead in Homeruns.

As long as you lead (or tie) in HR RBI and AVG you can win the triple crown.

This is a case where you can lead and tie at the same time.

was this in Gemmy's mind at the time? dunno.

SD image >>

It's highly unlikely if not impossible for 2 different players to have the same exact batting average. They would take the decimal places as far out as need be to determine a winner. HR and RBI, yes you could tie, but BA, highly unlikely.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is possible for both to happen. The year that yaz won the triple crown I believe he tied for the lead in Homeruns. >>

It could very easily happen with HRs or RBIs but I doubt it with the batting title. One more or less AB, hit, error, etc. can make .00001 of a difference and there wouldn't be a true tie. I could be wrong but didn't someone win the title back in the late 80's or early 90's by a fraction?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Stown, yes it did happen a few times. Winfield and Mattingly most recently and during the 70's it happened as well.

If my memory is correct I think it was Brett that won the other time and cries of racism were leveled at the pitcher for allowing brett to get a hit. I forget who the other batter was.

Edited to add: I think the other batter was Hal Mcrae.

While unlikely it is possible.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

<<So which is it? In 4+ hours you changed your mind? I guess if you make a thousand predictions, one of them is going to be right?>>

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah....BLAH

No, I did not change my mind. I still think Jeter will win the Batting Title. I was just pointing something out that nobody mentioned, not even you, ARod LOVER of LOVERS. Notice I used the word "COULD". Do you want me to post the definition for that word to for you? As I typed my last word in the ARod Triple Crown post I said to myself Axtey and Shanty-Townie will be all over my post since earlier I gave my opinion that Jeter would win the Batting Title. Boy, do I have you guys pegged.
  • Options

<< <i><<So which is it? In 4+ hours you changed your mind? I guess if you make a thousand predictions, one of them is going to be right?>>

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah....BLAH

No, I did not change my mind. I still think Jeter will win the Batting Title. I was just pointing something out that nobody mentioned, not even you, ARod LOVER of LOVERS. Notice I used the word "COULD". Do you want me to post the definition for that word to for you? As I typed my last word in the ARod Triple Crown post I said to myself Axtey and Shanty-Townie will be all over my post since earlier I gave my opinion that Jeter would win the Batting Title. Boy, do I have you guys pegged. >>

No you don't spammy.

You simply show your 'flavor of the day' fan club mentality you show time and time again.

'OHMYGOD Jeter will win the batting title' then he goes hitless, then it's 'OHMYGOD Arod could win the triple crown!'

Like I said, when you make 1000 predictions, one is going to be right, just by dumb luck (and I emphasize the word 'dumb' when it comes to you).
  • Options
    I repeat I still think Jeter will win the Batting title. I merely made an observation about ARod which nobody failed to make.
  • Options

<< <i>I repeat I still think Jeter will win the Batting title. I merely made an observation about ARod which anybody failed to make. >>

Spammy what's up with all the predictions?

You say Cano is going to win RoY. Not gonna happen.

You say Posada is gonna hit 30 HRs this year. Not gonna happen.

You say one thing, then recant it (this time 4 hours later!).

The more you make this ridiculous assumptions, the worse you look as a prognosticator. Keep em coming though, the more you predict, the worse it is for 'your' yankees.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeter winning the BA Title would be sweet and very much possible. Jeter could go on a tear in September--he is that kind of player. He keeps composure in pressure situations.

A-Rod may win the HR title. There is too much competition in the RBI department. Sheffield has the ability to rack them up really quick too, let alone the other top RBI guys on the BoSox.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    <<Keep em coming though, the more you predict, the worse it is for 'your' yankees.>>

And you keep responding to WinPitcher and my posts even though countless times you said you were not going to. In fact you started several threads about this.
  • Options
    Spammy, as usual, like a child with ADD, you veer off topic at the first hint of obstacle.

You get called out for being a fair-weathered fan of whatever player you choose for today's thread...which player are going to idolize and predict personal greatness for next? First it was big unit and what a great year and how his era was headed for under 4, then it was 20 different players, now you're predicting Arod for triple crown and Jeter winning the batting title in the same day.

You are the worst example of a fan. You think if you talk the loudest (and here it's by posting the most) you think people will believe you either (a) know about sports (Here's a hint, you don't) or (b) you'll prove to everyone what a good, solid fan you are (here's another hint, you aren't).

You jump from player to player like a groupie...it would be funny if it weren't so sad. Everyone sees it spammy...why can't you?
  • Options

<<You are the worst example of a fan>>

I have more fandom in my family jewels than you have in your brain.
  • Options

Oh, wait I forgot, you do not have one.
  • Options
    Again, missing the point and trying to spin it away.

Everyone sees you for the fool you are spammy. Everyone sees the wool you try to pull over people's eyes, and they know you're a phony.

Then you break out the 6th grade playground insults...I'd have thought someone making '$80+ per hour' would have better comebacks than that.

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Does it really matter? The Yankees will not make the playoffs, and it could very well be the official end of the Yankees run.

It is unbelievable that this team is not a good team. I am not stating this to p/o any Yankees fan or "fan" ... they are lacking in pitching. They lack chemistry. It will be their demise.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does it really matter? The Yankees will not make the playoffs, and it could very well be the official end of the Yankees run.

It is unbelievable that this team is not a good team. I am not stating this to p/o any Yankees fan or "fan" ... they are lacking in pitching. They lack chemistry. It will be their demise. >>

...and they are all old too......good night sweet prince
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... They lack chemistry. It will be their demise.... >>

Chemistry is bogus. Pitching and defense isn't. The Yanks may cruise into the playoffs, but will likely get beat as soon as they face an opponent who can hit. I'm doubtful the White Sox will offer any more resistance than the Twins did the last two seasons. I'll be surprised if they don't make the ALCS.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Does it really matter? The Yankees will not make the playoffs, and it could very well be the official end of the Yankees run.

It is unbelievable that this team is not a good team. I am not stating this to p/o any Yankees fan or "fan" ... they are lacking in pitching. They lack chemistry. It will be their demise. >>

Exactly. You can't expect Shawn Chacon and Al Leiter to be playoff caliber pitchers, when they were both waived by their previous teams just a few weeks ago. Fans expecting otherwise are delusional.
  • Options

<< <i>Fans expecting otherwise are delusional. >>

Well these are Yankee fans afterall...those who believe that their payroll isn't ridiculous, that their team isn't overpaid, and that Steinbrenner is great for baseball.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting point made earlier regarding triple crowns.

Ted Williams would have won a third triple crown in 1949, but lost out to George Kell when it was taken to the fourth decimal place, Williams had 44 more at bats and 15 more hits. When Yaz won in 1967 Killebrew had same number of HRs and less at bats. Seems to me that's inconsistant, either you tie and win or you tie and lose (because of times at bat). Of course when it comes to RBIs you could also argue how many at bats with men on base blah, blah, blah.

Also funny, if I have my facts right, that Teddy Ballgame didn't win the MVP in either triple crown season or even when he batted .406, as Joltin' Joe had the 56 game streak.

Splendid Splinter.......best ever?

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>. The only category ARod would really have to play catch up is RBI's but its possible. >>

Yeah, if A-Rod hires Jeff Gillooly to club BOTH Ramirez and Ortiz in the knees!!
  • Options

A 13 Run difference in RBI's is nothing with 30 games to play.
  • Options

<< <i>A 13 Run difference in RBI's is nothing with 30 games to play. >>

He'd have to pass up 2 people in front of him who have been consistent all year. As much as I want it to happen, that's not likely to.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A 13 Run difference in RBI's is nothing with 30 games to play. >>

He'd have to pass up 2 people in front of him who have been consistent all year. As much as I want it to happen, that's not likely to. >>

Plus he has to pass up Damon and Young for BA, and stay ahead of several others (i.e. Tejada, Roberts, Vlad, and even Jeter). Very unlikely. Triple crown is very, very, difficult to do. But, that's why we have not had a triple crown winner since Yaz won it 38 years ago!!
  • Options

I am just pointing out that he has as good of shot as any since Yaz did it.
  • Options

It's a distinct possibility

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics