Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Unopened pack collectors...

Are there any plastic containers made to house unopened single packs similar to the slabs that GAI does?

I would like to store some of my unopened packs "raw" this way rather than go the slabbing route. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Mark

Comments

• ranarana Posts: 242
    I don't know of any unopened wax-specific cases, but the normal plastic snap cases can work if the wax pack is not too big, but often they are too tight. A few ideas to consider:

Storing them flat is a little better than on a side, due to edge wear
    Keep the wax packs from touching other packs or the walls of the storage box, so put them in those cheap team bags
    Keep the team bag tight enough so the pack doesn't slide too much, but not too so to damage the pack
    Consider taping a toploader to the team bag for support, or put the toploader inside the team bag with the pack
    With the above method stacking the packs upright in a shoebox style box might be OK and make the easier to flip through
    Also consider stacking the packs in the 10-compartment sorting trays (also in team bags), though is it then harder to locate individual packs in the stacks

I have a large run of basketball and football wax. My favorites are slabbed and the others are in team bags and carefully stored in a sorting tray. The racks and trays are in a normal box in plastic ziplock bags. If anyone has other storage ideas, I'd love to hear them. The hurricane here in the US and a recent leak in my celing has reminded me that water resistant boxes would be better than the cardboard ones I use...

I need to remind myself to write up and post my latest rant against GAI, by the way. Sadly, all of the bad service rumors have become true with my recent order sent to them. I hope the competition with PSA in the graded pack area helps both companies stay on their toes.
  • PeetiePeetie Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Hey Rana, thanks for the thoughtful post and sorry about any trouble you may have had with GAI.

The plastic snap cases are exactly what I am looking for, but as you said in most cases, they are just too small. I guess I will have to keep them in the team bags, shoebox style, until I find something.

Thanks again!
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a run of baseball from 1975 Topps (my year of birth) to present, plus other brands. I keep them in team bags in a two row box. It works great. Note: my 1975 is GAI graded.

Shane

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    I came across this auction. They may be what you're looking for. (No, it's not MY auction image.
  • ranarana Posts: 242
    Thanks for pointing those pack cases out. I had never seen those holders before. They are interesting, but I'm a little worried since they fix both wax and cello that the wax packs might move around too much in there. The price seems a bit high with shipping, but not to bad. They have smaller lot sizes at http://www.higbees.com/index.php?fuseaction=main.products&categoryid=7 in case anyone wants to try some and report back.