Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

old coin identifying help

hey everyone.

new to the board here. i have what i think is a very old coin. would like to see if there's anyone that would be able to tell me what circa it comes from, and how much it may be valued at.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Louis 16th King of France. Have a reverse image?

Oh, and welcome.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Without seeing the back it's hard to give an exact identification, but at first glance it appears French, 18th century.

-Dan
  • Options
    I'm guessing a 12 Deniers dated 1791 Paris Mint.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Two Louie's after the "Sun King" image "who BTW, sent his niece Marie Louise to Carlos II the MAD & Impotent King of Spain" but that is not important here. It's Louie the XVI on you coin (I believe)

Take Care
    Ben

Forgot to say "HOWDY" image
    100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Definitely Louis the 16th, but how does the Shroom know so much?? image

Welcome to the Darkside, cooper!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    It is a Paris Mint coin, note the "A" mintmark.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Of course, Dead One. But Bingo sure knows his stuff. How did he figure out the rest?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i> How did he figure out the rest? >>

He looked in a Krause and guessed at the date, they were only minted for 3 or four years I believe.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course, Dead One. But Bingo sure knows his stuff. How did he figure out the rest?

imageimageimage >>

He stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    image NOT!

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the forumimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> How did he figure out the rest? >>

He looked in a Krause and guessed at the date, they were only minted for 3 or four years I believe. >>

As he said, he looked in Krause. The give away is that the 12 deniers is the only denomination of that time and design that did not have the date on the obverse.
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    thanks for the help so far everyone. here's the reverse of it. hopefully it's of decent enough quality to make sense of.

any idea what the value of this coin may be? if any value at all...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. The Shroom nailed it. 12 deniers.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    thanks guys. sorry if i've been misunderstood, was looking for the market value if i were to sell it. not the actual value of the coin itself, but i do appreciate that info in addition.

cheers
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have an 18th century Krause volume handy at the moment (I'm at work), but there is one in my locker.

If nobody else posts some Krause values for you tonight, I'll pull mine out of the locker and look it up for you.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Worth about $2 IMO.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    It would likely sell for about $15 - $20.
    knowledge ........ share it